A few days in, how does everyone like their X?

hpham72

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
I guess all of the Moto X users are too busy enjoying their new phones to bother updating everyone on their impressions? It seems this thread has just become yet another battleground for bashing the phone by people who don't have it.

festinator

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
I guess all of the Moto X users are too busy enjoying their new phones to bother updating everyone on their impressions? It seems this thread has just become yet another battleground for bashing the phone by people who don't have it.

I've only seen one person actually bash the phone here, everyone else is comparing it to other phones, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

Gdwheel

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
I will give my impressions. I have mixed feelings about the phone. It is very smooth and fast to use, but everything else is just okay. I have the GS4, the One and and Note II and have previously had the Optimus and Optimus Pro, so I compare its performance to all of them. I have the black 16GB on AT&T. I got it on Friday.

The good. As I mentioned, it is very fast and runs buttery smooth. The lag on the Samsungs drives me nuts. If they did not lag so much, particularly the GS4, I would be totally satisfied with them, but they do lag, so I keep looking for the best phone for me. Although the X is a little smaller than I like (as is the One -- the GS4 is the perfect size for my hand (although it is too light)), it feels solid and is easy to use.

The bad. The notification vibration sounds terrible. It sounds like the phone is coming apart every time I get an email or message. It males the phone sound/seem cheap. I have had some issues with battery life that I am trying to track down (may be app related) and my battery life has not been as good as the GS4 or Note II. As I mentioned in another thread, I have had very high "Time Without a Signal" percentages -- as high as 46%. Every other phone has shawn 1 to 2 percent at most. I think the X is just measuring LTE connection because it has a signal whenever I look at it or try to use it. The screen really shows fingerprints and looks bad most of the time. As mentioned, I would prefer the screen to be 5 inches. It is just easier to read, type on and use.

The so-so. Everything else is just so-so. Call quality is fair. The One and Note II have far better call quality and the GS4 is marginally better. The X is much better than any of the LG phones. Signal strength is not quite as good as the GS4 or Note when I compare them side-by-side, but only slightly. 3-5 db. I use the phone primarily for business and Sense and Touchwiz have better apps for exchange email, contacts and calendar than the base Android. The stock calendar app is just not very good. I use Nova launcher and have found widgets to replace about everything else. I have only taken a couple of pictures and they are fair -- not terrible, but not as good as I have taken with other phones. I will have to take more to be able to judge the camera. The screen is okay. It is not as good as most of the other phones I have had, but it is not that bad. As others have said, you really do not notice it that much unless you are comparing them side by side. If it was a bigger screen it would be more noticeable.

I am still undecided on Active Notifications. For one thing, my phone somehow activated itself and drafted a lengthy email while in my pocket while I was coaching my kid's baseball team tonight. Thankfully, it was not sent or I would have had a lot of explaining to do. I use Swiftkey and it filled in words (rather than giberish), but the words of course made no sense. It works okay, but I find myself having a hard time trying to get it to light up once in awhile and not being able to view more than one thing at a time makes it less useful if you have not looked at the phone for some period.

"OK Google Now" is okay, but I do not see myself using it much. It is like the many things offered on the GS4 that I will never use.

I will continue to use it and decide whether I will keep it or return it. I am afraid I might not be able to justify buying it outright (as I did after trade in of my old GS3). We will see.

Postoid

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
I am still undecided on Active Notifications. For one thing, my phone somehow activated itself and drafted a lengthy email while in my pocket while I was coaching my kid's baseball team tonight. Thankfully, it was not sent or I would have had a lot of explaining to do.

Wow...that's scary !

Was there a kid named "Google" and you were yelling, "OK Google...now.......Clobber that ball."

JK ;)

Gdwheel

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
It looks like I also deleted a couple emails and responded to a calendar invitation. I always turn the screen toward my leg to protect it, but I guess I might have to turn it around. I still cannot figure out how all of this happened, but somehow it all took place while the phone was in my pocket.

cdmta

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
You do understand that the Verizon moto has all of the bloat that the new droids do right?

Posted via Android Central App

Not even what I was talking about. I was saying that i tried to disable the demo in-store so i could test active notifications. The demo would restart.

guesswhat_567

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
They are some verizon apps (3-4), but no where near as much bloatware as droid, no extra widgets no amazon apps etc..
Not even what I was talking about. I was saying that i tried to disable the demo in-store so i could test active notifications. The demo would restart.

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
Speaking of AT&T demo software...

Everyone do the world a favor and when you test this phone out in the store, uninstall that crap. It makes testing Active Notifications impossible.

Right? I wanted to attempt the camera launching flick, but whenever the screen is locked, that nonsense demo would start back up instantly.

Mildly annoying.

You do understand that the Verizon moto has all of the bloat that the new droids do right?

Posted via Android Central App

Not remotely what the user was referring to.

lingcod777

Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
It looks like I also deleted a couple emails and responded to a calendar invitation. I always turn the screen toward my leg to protect it, but I guess I might have to turn it around. I still cannot figure out how all of this happened, but somehow it all took place while the phone was in my pocket.

Do you have pin/password lockscreen that was bypassed?

lingcod777

Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
I use the phone primarily for business and Sense and Touchwiz have better apps for exchange email, contacts and calendar than the base Android. The stock calendar app is just not very good.

Out of curiosity, does the Moto X come with a Motorola exchange client or are you installing something from the store (i.e. base Android experience)?

I'm hopefully in the final weeks of a HTZ Rezound where I've alternated between the Sense exchange client (okay) and Touchdown (okay) and am curious what the Moto X option is. Due to a MDM policy I can only run one exchange client so I'm wondering if I'll be left using Touchdown for all exchange access (i.e. contacts, email, calender, tasks, notes) vs. individual stock apps (Sense experience) that seems to work on my Rezound. Touchdown isn't bad, but I find it's occasionally inconvenient bouncing between emails/calender/notes within the Touchdown UI vs. multitasking.

Thanks for any feedback you can offer.

Zig261

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Here's the problem. Android overall is much heavier as an OS than iOS. Apple likes to keep things simple so they are not RAM nor spec heavy as compared to Android with all these high-end specs. So the IPhone can afford to have lower specs in that respective sense and still have a smooth and fluid experience..

roadkizzle

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Here's the problem. Android overall is much heavier as an OS than iOS. Apple likes to keep things simple so they are not RAM nor spec heavy as compared to Android with all these high-end specs. So the IPhone can afford to have lower specs in that respective sense and still have a smooth and fluid experience..

That's been the conventional wisdom, but you need to actually try the phone before you can make judgements on it.
Everyone who hasn't used the phone is skeptical, but all reviewers after using the phone for a period say that it is equal or better than our current "high end" phones in terms of performance.

Rizz1-2

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
From what I understand, and I only know a little, the it can be done with apps. But I like that this one is integrated. : )

Yeah I have an app called mighty text now that does basically the same thing. I just dont like the interface that much and for whatever reason it was draining my battery quite quickly.

Gdwheel

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
Out of curiosity, does the Moto X come with a Motorola exchange client or are you installing something from the store (i.e. base Android experience)?

Thanks for any feedback you can offer.

It comes with what I believe to be basic android email, calendar and contacts apps that all integrate with exchange. They work fine from that standpoint, they are just very basic. For example, the calendar app only shows bars on the month view where the Samsung calendar will show the name of the item on the calendar and will have a tab below showing the detail for the day you pick. The contacts app has the alphabet along the side to make going to the end of the alphabet easy, whereas the stock android contacts app requires you to scroll or search. The email app is very similar to the Gmail app before the recent changes. As I said, they are not terrible, but they are just not as good, in my opinion as others on the market. They are fast to load and move through, though which cannot be said for the samsung email app.

terrrrrible

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Random question for X owners... do any of you have Ford with a SYNC system in it? Does it read / send text messages from the X? I have a '12 Focus and it won't do this with my HTC One X. Probably more on the SYNC system than the phone, but just curious.

dwd3885

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

This is a very uninformed opinion.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site

i was told that too by someone in a store when i asked him why the need for all this processing power when we were convesing about cpus,etc and also part of a conversation of why people always told me android was glitchy, and that's how he explained it to me, which made sense. he said it wasn't until generally this year and then end of last that the processing power and other hardware was able to run androids without glitches and other problems.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2