A few days in, how does everyone like their X?

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
It seems that some folks are trying to dispel you of that notion.

Then he claimed that he could find some things appealing about the X, but then ignored all the reasons why I said I wanted an X over a Nexus 4 and basically said it was because I'm on Verizon. @_@

Jtshurtleff

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Guys let's not make this ugly or about flaming someone. I just wanted to know everyone's opinion which I have gotten a few of. Here's my list of reasons for wanting it.
1. The X is very close to stock, which I have grown to like, with the features of a phone with a skin. It isn't bogged down at all like the S4 and the display models I've had the chance to mess with were super zippy.
2. Love the software adds. Love touch less control and active display. I think breathing is cool!!!
3. I want to customize mine, make it truly mine and one that hopefully not everyone has. I understand the limitations of the customizing options will make sure someone else out there has my exact phone but that's okay.
4. It feels better in the hand. The One is a touch too big because of how the bottom and top bezels house the speakers and capacitive buttons...
5. ...which brings me to point 5. As of buying the Nexus 7 I love on screen buttons. Don't know why, just do.
6. Lastly, I use speaker phone a lot and it has a very loud speaker.

I understand the display is a less spectacular screen but I am not a pixel junkie and only slightly notice a difference in displays even side by side. The only thing I'm worried about is the equalizer. I actually love Beats (flame me if you want) and will likely root to install.

That's my reasoning for wanting it. Planning on getting this ball rolling soon.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
2. I don't want completely pure Android; I want the Moto X features, such as Touchless Control and Active Notifications.
Hey, now I just thought of something...

One of the perceived disadvantages of getting a Google Play Edition S4 or HTC One was the loss of certain software features, specifically for the camera. I wonder what a flash of purely stock Android 4.3 would do for the Moto X's picture quality, since so many people seem to think it's a software issue.

Better yet, someone needs to crack this baby so we can load in the stock camera .apk by itself and keep everything else.

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
Because right now I am sooo tired of my iphone dying after 3 hours, my hand hurting from holding the phone, and its lack of innovating new ideas. I am plain out tired of the same phone being pushed without total quality and creativeness (iphone 4s & iphone5).

Lol! Without quality? If the iPhone isn't quality, then there is not a quality phone on the market.

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Hey, now I just thought of something...

One of the perceived disadvantages of getting a Google Play Edition S4 or HTC One was the loss of certain software features, specifically for the camera. I wonder what a flash of purely stock Android 4.3 would do for the Moto X's picture quality, since so many people seem to think it's a software issue.

Better yet, someone needs to crack this baby so we can load in the stock camera .apk by itself and keep everything else.

People have taken pictures with 3rd party cameras and had the same result. I think it is the clear pixel that is letting in the 'extra' light. The main complaints are photos being washed out and having a funny white balance. Both of those could be cause by too much light coming in and it not being compensated for correctly. So while I believe this could be fixed with software, it would need to be processed for the specific sensor in this case. IOW, this specific sensor may require some processing tweaks that we are not getting yet.

At least this is what I am hoping. I am still waiting on my Maxx to arrive, and cameras are not as important to me as some, but I would like to see this camera improved if possible.

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I would have to agree that the camera is probably the least impressive aspect of the Moto X. In my limited use with it at the AT&T store, however, I was surprised by how not unimpressed I was. I was expecting a disaster from some pictures I've seen posted, but it was actually pretty decent.

Either way, I'm with you guys in hoping updates get pushed through the pipeline. Not just with the camera either. I would actually love a feature similar to the G2's *knock-knock* gesture where you touch the screen to pull up Active Notifications in between "breaths."

DC Wuff

Nov 26, 2009
Visit site
I have a Nexus 4 and an unlocked HTC One. They're both going on eBay once I get my customized Moto X. Even though I've owned numerous HTC phones over the years and Sense is the best it's ever been (and BoomSound is awesome), I am really looking forward to getting back to stock Android with the Moto enhancements. Based on all the reviews and my brief time playing with the X in the AT&T store, it is IMO a great evolution of the Nexus 4 and will be a phone I will be happy to use for the next 1-2 years.

chrisdiaz73

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I too had a Nexus 4, as well as a Galaxy Active and iPhone 5. I am really enjoying the Moto X in contrast to those phones. The Nexus didn't have LTE, so that was a given upgrade, the Active was big clunky and has too many extras which cant be deleted and rarely used, and the iPhone 5, well I have all things apple, and decided I wanted a different experience from a phone, hence my move to Android. Moto X is a stock android phone, I dont care what anyone says...it is not filled with all kinds of fluff, and the things it does have arent even enabled until you agree to do so...upon boot up of the moto x for the first time, its as plain as plain gets. If I was never given a spec sheet, I would think this phone performs as well if not better than the leading competition. Benchmarks etc. on a phone are a little ridiculous, who cares what scores it gets, I just care whether or not there is lag, what apps are available to make my day to day life productive and do it well. Moto X accomplishes that, and its why I moved to it. As I get to know the Moto more, I am sure I will like it better and better....

TechTinker

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I would have to agree that the camera is probably the least impressive aspect of the Moto X. In my limited use with it at the AT&T store, however, I was surprised by how not unimpressed I was. I was expecting a disaster from some pictures I've seen posted, but it was actually pretty decent.

Either way, I'm with you guys in hoping updates get pushed through the pipeline. Not just with the camera either. I would actually love a feature similar to the G2's *knock-knock* gesture where you touch the screen to pull up Active Notifications in between "breaths."

I thought I heard, it was the day of the announcement, that you can hold down around the middle of the screen and active notif would pop up.

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
When I tested it in the store there was a split second after the notification disappeared that the screen was still active and it would pop right back up if you hit the right spot. After that, though, you had to wait for it to come back on its own (or force it by flipping it over from a face down position). I don't know, it was weird. If you're in between notifications and you push the lock button on the side, then the screen turns on and you've gotta unlock your phone and pull down your notifications shade to see what's up.

I think I would really prefer Motorola just did away with the standard lock screen entirely. Not sure what purpose it serves anymore. Just push the lock button to bring up the Active Notifications again, and unlock your phone as you see fit. Of course, you'd still have your security lock behind that, but it's no different than it is now. It just seems to me that the lock screen on the Moto X provides a compromise that's been made wholly obsolete by the features on the phone.

I suppose it's still there for people who don't want Active Notifications. But those people are doodoo heads and don't deserve nice things.

DS1331

May 25, 2013
Visit site
The only reason he wants the x over the nexus 4 is because it's the "newest" thing out

Sent from my HTC One / Blackberry Q10

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
When I tested it in the store there was a split second after the notification disappeared that the screen was still active and it would pop right back up if you hit the right spot. After that, though, you had to wait for it to come back on its own (or force it by flipping it over from a face down position). I don't know, it was weird. If you're in between notifications and you push the lock button on the side, then the screen turns on and you've gotta unlock your phone and pull down your notifications shade to see what's up.

blech. no likey. i wonder if there could be a fix. by moto for sure, and i know that cannot be done by us, but hopefully this is something they do, i think many people would like that.

I think I would really prefer Motorola just did away with the standard lock screen entirely. Not sure what purpose it serves anymore. Just push the lock button to bring up the Active Notifications again, and unlock your phone as you see fit. Of course, you'd still have your security lock behind that, but it's no different than it is now. It just seems to me that the lock screen on the Moto X provides a compromise that's been made wholly obsolete by the features on the phone.

they used to do "patches* for the palm, does the x have to be rooted to do those or can there be little mini apps like the one i posted for removing the vibration on slide lock? which are sorta like patches i guess except they just add instead of patch...and do you mean, open the slide lock and your notifications are all sitting there? cuz i would really like that, there are some apps i noticed that do something like that, or at least i think that's what they're supposed to do, can i just use those?

venturin88

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
I've have tried just about everything out there: iPhone 4S > Galaxy S3 > iPhone 5 > Z10 > HTC One and back to iPhone 5. I liked android but kept going back to iOS because it ran smoother, battery life was better, less bloatware and I wanted a phone that was easily usable in one hand. I liked the HTC One it ran for the most part smooth, but the battery couldn't get me through a whole day, and I wasn't the biggest fan of Sense especially not being able to disable blinkfeed without installing a different launcher. So I went back to the iPhone. The Moto X peaked my interest with its minimal form factor and near stock android. So I decided to go play with it at the store yesterday. Walked out 30 mins later with it in hand and after 24hrs can say I will not be going back to iPhone. This is hands down the smoothest running phone I have ever had, I am yet to notice one hiccup/lag occurrence. I would say it even runs better then my new Nexus 7 (2013). The OS is near stock, (even AT&T didn't load it with as much as the do on the One) and the active notifications feature is awesome. It's obviously a little early to comment to much on battery life but so far so good, enough to last me the whole day. Build quality and feel of the phone is great. You can easily manipulate it with one hand. Screen is great, who cares if its not 1080p, I don't see a difference and I personally thought it looked better the S4 sitting next to it at the store anyways. Camera is decent, not like iPhone 5 but I'm not a big picture guy anyways. So in my opinion this is no midrange phone, specs aren't every thing just look at iPhone it's specs are nowhere near the One or S4 but isn't considered midrange. I feel it's the first android phone that can really compete with the iPhone on all grounds (performance, build quality, & user experience), at least its the first one to make me call it quits on iPhone for good. Sorry for the long post but figured I'd give my positive opinion seeing all the negativity regarding this phone especially its specs. (As for why I didn't consider the Nexus 4, LTE and I have never had a good experience with LG products so that phone is out of the question for me.) So OP I would not consider this a downgrade from the One, you won't be disappointed the Moto X.

Posted via Android Central App

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Originally Posted by DS1331
The only reason he wants the x over the nexus 4 is because it's the "newest" thing out

Sent from my HTC One / Blackberry Q10
Well there you have it, folks. Lock this thread up. This guy's got it all figured out.

It's almost shocking to me how much butthurt there is simply because some people want the Moto X. It's like some people refuse to believe that it is actually possible.

Jtshurtleff

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
It's almost shocking to me how much butthurt there is simply because some people want the Moto X. It's like some people refuse to believe that it is actually possible.

This^
Why are people so against this phone? Even at the AT&T store it was like everyone there was trying to talk me out of getting the X. The manager there even asked me why I wanted it coming from the One and looked at me like I was an ***** while doing so. Needless to say he didn't get a sale.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

globster2000

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
This^
Why are people so against this phone? Even at the AT&T store it was like everyone there was trying to talk me out of getting the X. The manager there even asked me why I wanted it coming from the One and looked at me like I was an ***** while doing so. Needless to say he didn't get a sale.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
Wow... That's aweful. Although, I am not surprised about AT&T employees not knowing much because the other day one of the employees thought i was joking that the phone can be customizable

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I think this thread is a perfect example of each user being different. One of the posts was basically stating that to them, the Moto X was a downgrade in most every way from the HTC ONE. If someone is not interested in the selling features of the X then they would view this to be a downgrade. Some however are very interested in the features of the X and find them to outweigh the features of the ONE. I admit I have been skeptical of the X and after playing with one I am still not crazy about it personally. However, I can definitely see why people would be interested in it and I hope it sells well because I have always liked Motorola and I think it is a great device to help users come to Android from iPhone. It's only natural for us to "defend" our device of choice and list the reasons why mine is best and yours sucks, but I hope we can start to respect that each user is different and what works for me may not work for you and vise versa. It's something I've been working on.

Sorry to turn that into a Kumbaya moment.

jschu22

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I feel pretty confident in assuming S4 and One owners that belittle the Moto X probably do the same about any phone, which basically classifies them as ignorant idiots to me.

Being loyal without reason is really just being stupid.

Posted via Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital