A few days in, how does everyone like their X?

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I think the X is a nice enough phone that edges out the nexus 4 in all but price and pure Google experience. And ROMs of course if that's your thing. But I already own a nexus 4 so I'm not inclined to get this. If I were coming from an S3 or OneX it might be a different story. I'm basically holding out for a much more drastic upgrade since I'm happy where I am atm

Posted via Android Central App

guinnkevinr

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm loving the Motorola connect capabilities. Sending texts from the chrome browser on my computer is awesome and helpful

Sent from my Moto X

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm loving the Motorola connect capabilities. Sending texts from the chrome browser on my computer is awesome and helpful

Sent from my Moto X

very much looking forward to this. I usually use firefox but i guess i'll have to either switch to chrome have it on in the backrground.

anon(4196132)

May 20, 2013
Visit site

Sent from my Moto X

I didn't think this was going to be much more than a gimmick, but it's definitely a pretty cool feature!

Sent from my XT1058 using AC Forums mobile app

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
very much looking forward to this. I usually use firefox but i guess i'll have to either switch to chrome have it on in the backrground.

I'm a Firefox user, too, but have been using Chrome a little bit now with the Chromecast dongle. Having the Motorola Connect capability simply adds more incentive to increase my Chrome utilization.

Jtshurtleff

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I disagree with almost all of your assessment. Theonlycarrier that supports the Nexus 4's LTE is T-mobile so it doesn't work on AT&T and then it only works with a single band of the network so it is not nearly comprehensive enough to be a selling point to the majority of customers.

You are correct that LED notifications do tell you information from across the room, which is why I put forth the idea that developers look into makinga faux notification LED hopefully using the contextual core as it handles the Active Display. That said, the Active Display does provide a large benefit over even the enhanced LED apps you talk about to where I struggle to say that it is categorically a worse idea. In addition I don't feel that you can validly say it has the Active Display functionality because the Nexus has an LCD display meaning the Dynamic Notifications app MUST wake up the entire display to show notifications draining the battery. As well in order to be contextually aware like the Moto X it must run the CPU further draining the battery. The Moto X can perform this function while retaining excellent battery life from a small capacity.

The same is said with Open Mic+ attempting to duplicate the Touchless Controls. No other phone can boast having these capabilities because no other phone has the hardware requisite for allowing the features to run without killing the battery life.

Moto Assists main benefit I see is to activate while the owner is driving which I think would also have a detrimental impact on battery life. It is also better in my understanding than its competitors because it lets calls go through if there are multiple calls within a 5 minute interval.

The killer in the Moto X is that its processor power truly does blow the Nexus 4 away. The Nexus 4 does have a quad core processor BUT its cores are only Krait 200s while the Moto X uses the more powerful and efficient Krait 300s. In addition, the Moto X has the contextual processor which means that it can handle all the sensory input that current phones monitor in addition to keeping track of all its new features without having to load down the CPU reducing overall speed or efficiency. You just have to look at the GSMArenas benchmarking scores to see the surprising information that the Moto X is getting double the scores as the Nexus 4 in virtually all tests.
I know that we have said that the benchmarks are not at all valid in showing actual power, but I think that with all the reviews and hands on testimony that the Nexus's components in no way blow the Moto X away like you make it out to be. The Krait 300 and other capabilities make the Moto X an extremely good contender.

The power of the X does not lie in its "dual core" processor but in the framework of the X8. It has processors for everything the phone does for specific tasks making it faster in nearly all tests. After an hour or so at the store I found it to be as fast or faster than my One in all tests.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

y2jdmbfan

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
The power of the X does not lie in its "dual core" processor but in the framework of the X8. It has processors for everything the phone does for specific tasks making it faster in nearly all tests. After an hour or so at the store I found it to be as fast or faster than my One in all tests.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

So are you buying the X to go with your One? I like to switch phones, which I was I just moved my main number to AT&T from Verizon. I have the HTC One Developer Edition, which I love, but I really like the Moto X after playing with it in the store. Might buy one outright, 32GB and customize it.

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
At least with the Moto X, Android finally has a phone that is very close, if not equal, to the iPhone in smoothness and lack of lag. It's been a long time coming. It may be my next phone.

dwd3885

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I absolutely love the phone! Sort of wish I picked black instead of white though. Maybe I will return. I had to buy off-contract, so that means I can't use Motomaker yet right?

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
At least with the Moto X, Android finally has a phone that is very close, if not equal, to the iPhone in smoothness and lack of lag. It's been a long time coming. It may be my next phone.

My nine month old Nexus 4 begs to differ. Maybe your experience was different, but my phone feels as smooth as my wife's iPhone 5 and always has.

That said, the focus on specs is ridiculous. People like to focus on the numbers because they're a seemingly objective stat to throw around, unlike the subjective things like feel and impressions of speed. If the phone feels good in your hand and the OS is zippy, who cares what's under the hood unless you're a dev and plan on actually doing something specific with it?

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Anyone know if i can use one of the LED apps on the Moto? i keep my phone off my person for the most part when i'm home and would love to be able to glance at the moto instead of look for the breath and icons.

festinator

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site

The nexus 4 did that a year ago.

Anyways, since I have the nexus 4, I see no need to upgrade to the moto x. (I got the nexus 4 because I wanted something fast with no bloat ware and at a good price, and I got exactly that.) However, if I did not have the nexus 4 right now and was looking for a new phone and money was not an issue, I would definitely get the moto x. I like what Motorola and Google have done here, and I hope to see more like it. Moto x is number 1 on my list, with the nexus 4 right behind it.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

thegrants82

Banned
May 8, 2013
Visit site
Anyone know if i can use one of the LED apps on the Moto? i keep my phone off my person for the most part when i'm home and would love to be able to glance at the moto instead of look for the breath and icons.

No you can't but if you bought a mini you can have all of the functions that the Moto X has plus the LED.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
No you can't but if you bought a mini you can have all of the functions that the Moto X has plus the LED.

Yeah, i'm with sprint, no mini for me. Do love it though. Not crazy about the alien type design, or whatever it is they're going for, but i would still give it a thought.

Why does it not work? Is it an amoled vs. tft/lcd thing (burn in?)? Or some other reason.

roadkizzle

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, i'm with sprint, no mini for me. Do love it though. Not crazy about the alien type design, but i would still give it a thought.

Why does it not work? Is it an amoled vs. tft/lcd thing? Or some other reason.

It won't work because the Notification LED is an actual LED that is a completely separate system to the screen.

There may be an app developed as I've suggested to utilize a few pixels on the screen of the X to mimic this LED functionality but I don't know how to program for Android or even program to use hardware so actual developers will have to look into it.

The big reason why I'd think it may not be done is that Motorola may be wanting to keep the coding required to use their Contextual Processor and the Active Display feature a proprietary secret like they did with the fingerprint scanner on the original Atrix thereby making developers unable to expand upon the functionality.

festinator

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
There's an app called NoLed, which is for phones with no led lights. Say you get a text, an icon (which can choose from) will pop onto the screen. You can choose the color and size of the icons, and you can set it so that tapping on the icon will send you straight to the app of which it belongs too. (Gmail icon will open up gmail, text message opens up messaging etc) I don't know of that's the kinda thing you guys are looking for though.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs