A few days in, how does everyone like their X?

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
It won't work because the Notification LED is an actual LED that is a completely separate system to the screen.

There may be an app developed as I've suggested to utilize a few pixels on the screen of the X to mimic this LED functionality but I don't know how to program for Android or even program to use hardware so actual developers will have to look into it.

The big reason why I'd think it may not be done is that Motorola may be wanting to keep the coding required to use their Contextual Processor and the Active Display feature a proprietary secret like they did with the fingerprint scanner on the original Atrix thereby making developers unable to expand upon the functionality.

Yes, that's what i meant, an app like you mentioned. : ), except that was mentioned in the context of someone creating something to work with the active display, would the usual ones currently available (i've seen stuff in google play except i don't really know what they are or if it works on all phones or what the heck).

like this thing:
http://6594-www-sohogrand.voxcdn.com/files/2011/08/9.jpg?9d7bd4

- - - Updated - - -

There's an app called NoLed, which is for phones with no led lights. Say you get a text, an icon (which can choose from) will pop onto the screen. You can choose the color and size of the icons, and you can set it so that tapping on the icon will send you straight to the app of which it belongs too. (Gmail icon will open up gmail, text message opens up messaging etc) I don't know of that's the kinda thing you guys are looking for though.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

oh, haha, just posted it, had my window open to long.

So yes, this is what i'm interested in. : ). I will download it onto this POS admiral I have and check it out. Thanks.

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
The nexus 4 did that a year ago.

IMHO, no Android phone up until now has matched the smoothness and fluidity of the iPhone 5, or even the 4S. All manufacturers have done is throw specs into their phones, and hope that they work. Finally, Motorola has taken a page from the Apple book, and tried to match hardware and software, which makes a snappier phone and a great user experience. That is why an iPhone runs smoother, and usually faster, than most Android phones, a does it with a dual-core and 1GB of RAM. And still does it even after a year of service, which is something that no Android can claim. Again, this is IMO, but I have had many, many Androids and none have matched the iPhone for smoothness and fluidity.

festinator

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
IMHO, no Android phone up until now has matched the smoothness and fluidity of the iPhone 5, or even the 4S. All manufacturers have done is throw specs into their phones, and hope that they work. Finally, Motorola has taken a page from the Apple book, and tried to match hardware and software, which makes a snappier phone and a great user experience. That is why an iPhone runs smoother, and usually faster, than most Android phones, a does it with a dual-core and 1GB of RAM. And still does it even after a year of service, which is something that no Android can claim. Again, this is IMO, but I have had many, many Androids and none have matched the iPhone for smoothness and fluidity.

You've obviously never used the nexus then. It easily matches the speed and snappiness of the iPhone, if not exceeds it. Now, the moto x seems to have matched the speed of the nexus 4, and added a few extra features to make it an upgrade from the nexus 4.

globster2000

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site

I dont know about you, but my 4s is a lag phone. The UI always glitches and the phone dies in 4 hours. My hand hurts after 20 minutes of holding and the screen is sooo small. I remember when this phone launched and how incomplete the siri function was along with maps. Plus, I can only browse 7 tabs at once because the phone cannot handle the multi-task. Considering that this completes the siri function, offer more comfort to the hand, better customizing options, paint doesn't chip easily as the iphone 5 (friends iphone5 paint keeps chipping), battery life is handled better, easier to use camera, and snappier with the UI, i have no doubt that this phone is smoother than the iphone 4s or 5.

Tshaheen

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

Absolutely agree. I have iOS devices for work (iPhone 4 and iPad 4th gen) and Android for personal (GS2 and Nexus 7 2012 and 2013) and even my iPhone 4 (which I've had for over 2 years now), as old as it is, runs much smoother with practically no issues at all compared to my GS2 (which I've also had over 2 years now). The battery lasts all day and barely even drops in standby. My GS2 is laggy, will occasionally freeze and reboot, and drops over 15% of battery in the first hour of light usage. I barely get a half day of light to moderate usage out of my GS2. My wife has the same experience out of her GS2 as well with a completely different usage pattern than me.

I've played a bit with the X at the AT&T store and liked what I saw, and based on everything I'm reading (great battery life and fast), it appears to have the best shot at matching hardware and software in a way that only Apple has been able to do in the past.

festinator

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
Absolutely agree. I have iOS devices for work (iPhone 4 and iPad 4th gen) and Android for personal (GS2 and Nexus 7 2012 and 2013) and even my iPhone 4 (which I've had for over 2 years now), as old as it is, runs much smoother with practically no issues at all compared to my GS2 (which I've also had over 2 years now). The battery lasts all day and barely even drops in standby. My GS2 is laggy, will occasionally freeze and reboot, and drops over 15% of battery in the first hour of light usage. I barely get a half day of light to moderate usage out of my GS2. My wife has the same experience out of her GS2 as well with a completely different usage pattern than me.

I've played a bit with the X at the AT&T store and liked what I saw, and based on everything I'm reading (great battery life and fast), it appears to have the best shot at matching hardware and software in a way that only Apple has been able to do in the past.

You guys do realize the moto x is basically a nexus 4 with lte and a couple of added things right? Other than the build and customization thing, there is pretty much no difference between the two phones. I'm not against the moto x, in fact I think its slightly better than the n4, but the n4 matched the iPhone in speed and everything else first.

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
You guys do realize the moto x is basically a nexus 4 with lte and a couple of added things right? Other than the build and customization thing, there is pretty much no difference between the two phones. I'm not against the moto x, in fact I think its slightly better than the n4, but the n4 matched the iPhone in speed and everything else first.

You do realize that the Moto X is not basically a Nexus 4. The X has internals and architecture that no Android has had up until this point, so there is quite a bit of difference. And, again IMHO, the Nexus 4 has not matched the iPhone. But, then again, that is a never ending discussion.

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
I dont know about you, but my 4s is a lag phone. The UI always glitches and the phone dies in 4 hours. My hand hurts after 20 minutes of holding and the screen is sooo small. I remember when this phone launched and how incomplete the siri function was along with maps. Plus, I can only browse 7 tabs at once because the phone cannot handle the multi-task. Considering that this completes the siri function, offer more comfort to the hand, better customizing options, paint doesn't chip easily as the iphone 5 (friends iphone5 paint keeps chipping), battery life is handled better, easier to use camera, and snappier with the UI, i have no doubt that this phone is smoother than the iphone 4s or 5.

Then you have a problem with the 4S, and probably need to get it checked out. My wife has a 4S, and it is as fast as any Android that I have had. Except for the difference between LTE and 3G.

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site

Going to be the 3rd guy to disagree with this. As the first 2 said, the n4 doesn't lag anymore than the X. The advantage the iPhone and X both share is LTE, which I expect to be on the next Nexus this Fall. If it isn't, I'll be getting it anyway unless they remove DC HSPA. Not having barriers between my phone and the maker of the OS is much too important to me to give up, so my only two choices are Nexus or iPhone.

Posted via Android Central App

Dregur

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site

Battery life is also much better. And it's smaller. It has a different camera. Active Notifications. AMOLED display instead of IPS. Krait 300 cores instead of 200. Voice control when the phone's screen is off.

But otherwise exactly like every other Android phone out there.

festinator

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
Battery life is also much better. And it's smaller. It has a different camera. Active Notifications. AMOLED display instead of IPS. Krait 300 cores instead of 200. Voice control when the phone's screen is off.

But otherwise exactly like every other Android phone out there.

I meant more user experience than specs but ok. Guess I should made that clearer.

snookasnoo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I looked at a Moto X at AT&T today. My first impression is it looks and feels cheap. Not Samsung cheap but far from premium. My second impression is I don't care for the screen at all. Terrible color and contrast and is too small. Thirdly it was slow. My iPhone 5 with iOS 7 beta 6 is noticeably faster and smoother. Hopefully this was because of the AT&T demo software. So no interest in this phone...guess I'll wait for the Nexus 5 and hope it is on Verizon. Might get a Note 3 and stick it in a case if it has the same slimy cheap feel as the S 4. With all the complaint Samsung *might* have done something about the Note 3 build quality if they had time. Anyway zero interest in the Moto X.

bandityo

Apr 9, 2010
Visit site
I looked at a Moto X at AT&T today. My first impression is it looks and feels cheap. Not Samsung cheap but far from premium. My second impression is I don't care for the screen at all. Terrible color and contrast and is too small. Thirdly it was slow. My iPhone 5 with iOS 7 beta 6 is noticeably faster and smoother. Hopefully this was because of the AT&T demo software. So no interest in this phone...guess I'll wait for the Nexus 5 and hope it is on Verizon. Might get a Note 3 and stick it in a case if it has the same slimy cheap feel as the S 4. With all the complaint Samsung *might* have done something about the Note 3 build quality if they had time. Anyway zero interest in the Moto X.

LOL Too small and you think your iphone5 with 4" is better ? lol

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Speaking of AT&T demo software...

Everyone do the world a favor and when you test this phone out in the store, uninstall that crap. It makes testing Active Notifications impossible.

cdmta

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
Speaking of AT&T demo software...

Everyone do the world a favor and when you test this phone out in the store, uninstall that crap. It makes testing Active Notifications impossible.

Was trying to do this on Vzw droids and it seems like it fixes itself or redownloads the app. Crazy crap.

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
You do understand that the Verizon moto has all of the bloat that the new droids do right?

No, it doesn't. The Droids have their own exclusive software features/add-ons (widgets, Droid Zap, etc.)

Also, the demo app is an in-store thing only, so I'm not sure what you're talking about.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tony2