A few days in, how does everyone like their X?

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
In that case any smartphone that doesn't actually blur or distort those spur of the moment snapshots will do. You don't have to have the best smartphone camera ever made for shots like that. As long as they turn out unspoiled you're fine.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Was just gonna mention that. In good light i've seen the X take great action shots. I've seen it capture a number of fast moving objects without so much as a whisp of a blur. Marques Brownlee also mentions in good light it takes a photo a 1/4000ths of a second to the S4's 1/2000ths of a second. They'll just be a little faded and possible shadowed.

Last edited:

Bobbman

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
I am actually impressed so far with my moto x camera compared to my iPhone 5 camera. This thing does take nice pics from what I have seen so far. No regrets camera wise.

Do you really think the X is better than the iPhone 5 camera? Been looking to get rid of my samstutter4, but I do like its camera. If the x matches the iPhone 5 camera I would be more than happy.

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
In that case any smartphone that doesn't actually blur or distort those spur of the moment snapshots will do. You don't have to have the best smartphone camera ever made for shots like that. As long as they turn out unspoiled you're fine.

When is "good enough" ever good enough? If you're spending your hard earned money on a phone, you expect its performance to compete with other, similarly priced devices.

There is no disadvantage to improving mobile camera tech.

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
When is "good enough" ever good enough? If you're spending your hard earned money on a phone, you expect its performance to compete with other, similarly priced devices.

I never implied that. But a lot of today's gen are obsessed with smartphone cameras to the point where it takes up nearly half of the space in a review on news sites that aren't that techy. Contrast that to a proper review like Anandtech's. The camera gets a proper in depth look there but it's one page of 7 or 8 and not obsessive.

I agree with you actually. When exactly IS good enough, good enough? When you can film 3D IMAX on your phone?

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site

or maybe not even expectations, but rather having to choose among the pluses and minuses. I accept the moto x camera as is. S4 minuses outweigh any of the moto's for my particular needs. : )

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
People will put emphasis on whatever is important to them. Present the average consumer with Anandtech's review and watch them go cross-eyed in about five seconds flat. Interesting to tech junkies? Sure. But how much can you expect Joe Schmoe to want to hear about TRIM and FLOPS?

You've got Facebook, Instagram, Tumblr, Twitter, Snapchat, etc....all these ways for people to document every aspect of their lives, and their smartphone is how they do it. Just because it's not that important to you doesn't mean it's of the utmost importance to them. Our personal requisites of smartphone utility are not the same. Finding a happy medium is what we're all arguing about anyway.

thegrants82

Banned
May 8, 2013
Visit site
Well I am truly a believer. After only 2 hours I can honestly understand why everybody is in love with the Moto X. This thing is definitely a keeper and will not be going back. It is replacing my iphone 5.

Posted via Android Central App

grooks

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Well I am truly a believer. After only 2 hours I can honestly understand why everybody is in love with the Moto X. This thing is definitely a keeper and will not be going back. It is replacing my iphone 5.

How is the size and feel compared to the Maxx?

thegrants82

Banned
May 8, 2013
Visit site
I cant even put into words how nicely the X lays in my hand. The Maxx felt like a brick compared to it. I never got a true feel of it when I checked it out at the store because of the security cable on the back. Seriously, how ever nice all the reviews say that it feels this thing feels better! Still charging and I installed Gsam so this weekend will be all about battery testing for me. Like I said though, the Moto X is a keeper. 100%.
How is the size and feel compared to the Maxx?

Bobbman

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Samsung, iPhone and Nokia constantly put solid, dependable cameras on their phones. Is it to much to ask for Motorola just to match their offerings? It does not have to be DSLR quality. Just the quality standard that has been set by current crop of phones. A phone is always with you and quickly assessable. It makes for the best camera. Just frustrating that a potentially great phone like the X has appeared to drop the ball with the camera.

thegrants82

Banned
May 8, 2013
Visit site
The few pics that I have taken this morning with the Moto X look surprisingly very nice. Not GS4 or iPhone 5 nice but very close in my opinion. Actually some of the shots look crisper than my iPhone 5, I no longer have my GS4 to compare it with.
Samsung, iPhone and Nokia constantly put solid, dependable cameras on their phones. Is it to much to ask for Motorola just to match their offerings? It does not have to be DSLR quality. Just the quality standard that has been set by current crop of phones. A phone is always with you and quickly assessable. It makes for the best camera. Just frustrating that a potentially great phone like the X has appeared to drop the ball with the camera.

lakaw

May 5, 2011
Visit site
I did not know this capability existed. I want one

From what I understand, and I only know a little, the it can be done with apps. But I like that this one is integrated. : )

Mighty Text.

I wonder how Motorola Connect compares functionally to Mighty Text. Mighty Text works well 95% of the time. Sometimes messages do not sync properly from my PC to my phone and vice versa. Mighty Text also has a Chrome extension.

I want the Droid Maxx and the Moto X to have a baby. That is the phone I currently desire. Form factor of the Moto X, battery life of the Maxx, 32GB, on screen buttons. Motomaker would be nice as well...

Oh! and wireless charging.

Last edited:

Strawdawg

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
90% of the pictures posted are way better than I would have believed from reviews if I had not seen the results. I have been especially impressed with the outdoor shots of moving objects. I thought the camera would be a major disappointment but I no longer have that fear.

I have noted many phones given glowing reviews by reviewers and then the user reviews are somewhat lower. This seems to be the opposite case.

Bill Newman1

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
I want the Droid Maxx and the Moto X to have a baby. That is the phone I currently desire. Form factor of the Moto X, battery life of the Maxx, 32GB, on screen buttons. Motomaker would be nice as well...

Ugh. +1. If the X came with a 2600-2800mah battery, I would have purchased already. My Gnex got "all day" battery life the first 12 months too. :-\

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
They did have a baby. Unfortunately, both were probably on thalidomide at the time, and now we have the Droid Ultra.

roadkizzle

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Ugh. +1. If the X came with a 2600-2800mah battery, I would have purchased already. My Gnex got "all day" battery life the first 12 months too. :-\

I am just loathe to give up excellent ergonomics and feel in a sacrifice for the battery... That said, it is only acceptable if the battery life is actually satisfactory for giving enough life to the phone to meet my needs, and so far it appears that should be the case.

That said, if I was on Verizon I would be having a LARGE difficulty in deciding between the MAXX, the Moto X, and the Mini. Luckily I'm on AT&T so I don't have to make these hard decisions and AT&T doesn't force us to give up our unlimited data plan like Verizon does.

Bill Newman1

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
I am just loathe to give up excellent ergonomics and feel in a sacrifice for the battery... That said, it is only acceptable if the battery life is actually satisfactory for giving enough life to the phone to meet my needs, and so far it appears that should be the case.

That said, if I was on Verizon I would be having a LARGE difficulty in deciding between the MAXX, the Moto X, and the Mini. Luckily I'm on AT&T so I don't have to make these hard decisions and AT&T doesn't force us to give up our unlimited data plan like Verizon does.

I feel like I am being forced to choose between excellent form factor/screen size, maybe the best I've ever held in the Moto X, and excellent battery life in the MAXX. maybe the best in a smartphone ever.
I'm glad there are some early adopters and posters here. I will be watching over the next 2 months of reviews to make a decision, as I will be buying off contract.

Keep posting your experiences X users, its very useful to some of us on the fence!

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I don't understand why some people don't get that a different aspect of the phone is more important. I.e. the camera. Just because you are OK with subpar pictures and/or carrying around two devices, doesn't mean everyone is. For a lot of consumers these are our digital cameras. And I do occasionally print them off. The S4 pics look great in 5x7 or 4x6. That's what I'm looking for. And with a 10 month old daughter and an 11 year old daughter, pictures are important to me. I always have my phone. And for capturing that moment, it's much better than having a DLSR in a fanny pack.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith