A few days in, how does everyone like their X?

thegrants82

Banned
May 8, 2013
Visit site
I feel like I am being forced to choose between excellent form factor/screen size, maybe the best I've ever held in the Moto X, and excellent battery life in the MAXX. maybe the best in a smartphone ever.
I'm glad there are some early adopters and posters here. I will be watching over the next 2 months of reviews to make a decision, as I will be buying off contract.

Keep posting your experiences X users, its very useful to some of us on the fence!

Go to Verizon and get a maxx. Try it for one week. Take it back and get a Moto X. I'm pretty sure you will end up keeping the Moto X. That's what happened to me anyway.

Posted via Android Central App

thegrants82

Banned
May 8, 2013
Visit site
In what aspect?

How easy it is to open up the camera and take a picture. Plus I was outside snapping a few pictures this morning with my iphone5 and my moto X and to tell you the truth I couldn't really see much of a difference. Then I brought the phones inside and did the same test and to tell you the truth I couldn't really see much of a difference. But that's all an amateurs opinion. If anything the iPhone camera has a slight edge but I don't think by much.

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I don't understand why some people don't get that a different aspect of the phone is more important. I.e. the camera. Just because you are OK with subpar pictures and/or carrying around two devices, doesn't mean everyone is. For a lot of consumers these are our digital cameras. And I do occasionally print them off. The S4 pics look great in 5x7 or 4x6. That's what I'm looking for. And with a 10 month old daughter and an 11 year old daughter, pictures are important to me. I always have my phone. And for capturing that moment, it's much better than having a DLSR in a fanny pack.

Because even the best smartphone camera on the market doesn't even come close to a good DSLR for people who want their vacation and family milestone pics like kids grads etc to be of that kind of superior quality. When it comes to capturing unexpected moments you need a decent camera that doesn't ruin shots. That's all. Nobody's complaining this camera ruins shots.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Because even the best smartphone camera on the market doesn't even come close to a good DSLR for people who want their vacation and family milestone pics like kids grads etc to be of that kind of superior quality. When it comes to capturing unexpected moments you need a decent camera that doesn't ruin shots. That's all. Nobody's complaining this camera ruins shots.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

But just because some people are OK with a camera that isn't as good of quality as some others on the market doesn't mean that isn't important to others. That's my point. I understand why it isn't important to some. But I'd like the best camera that Android can offer. I don't always have our Nikon with us. I ALWAYS have my phone. And it's much easier to fire up than a camera to get that quick shot. Not to mention it's infinitely easier to share those pictures with family and friends.

And yes, some people (particularly reviewers) have complained that it is hard to get a great shot. Decent and passable shots? Yes. But some of us want something more than that. Other than camera this is the perfect phone.

roadkizzle

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
I don't understand why some people don't get that a different aspect of the phone is more important. I.e. the camera. Just because you are OK with subpar pictures and/or carrying around two devices, doesn't mean everyone is. For a lot of consumers these are our digital cameras. And I do occasionally print them off. The S4 pics look great in 5x7 or 4x6. That's what I'm looking for. And with a 10 month old daughter and an 11 year old daughter, pictures are important to me. I always have my phone. And for capturing that moment, it's much better than having a DLSR in a fanny pack.

I don't think that many people think everyone shouldn't care about the camera quality.

Personally I virtually never take pictures with my phone. As long as the pictures I do take are reasonably clear then I really couldn't care less. I am a horrible photographer myself so I've never been one to share any of my photos (even with great cameras). I use my photos to remind myself of my experiences but the enjoyment of them are gained from reminescing about events I have no pictures of, so I really don't care much about how the actual picture looks.

That said, I am not willing to purchase a phone that I feel I am making tons of sacrifices for for no reason other than to get a very slightly better camera, or to try to put pressure on the manufacturer that they MUST put the best camera in the industry in their phone.

I personally think that Motorola deserves much more praise for making a phone with the best ergonomics bar none in virtually any phone to date while still having very good battery life, performance, and with breakthrough technology allowing a mobile device to monitor its surroundings and provide necessary information for its user when the user needs to know it and is ready to assist the user anytime they ask for assistance.

For those reasons I have no qualms about purchasing a Moto X even though it has an acceptable (albeit unreliable) camera. Those people who have camera quality as a top priority can feel free to purchase a phone based on their own needs, and its no skin off my back, but I'm sure the camera is more than acceptable for the vast majority of users desires and actually ideal for some if picture speed is a priority and I feel that people read that the camera quality is slightly less than that of its competitors so then automatically think it is a horrendous camera that should have never seen the light of day.

thegrants82

Banned
May 8, 2013
Visit site
I don't think that many people think everyone shouldn't care about the camera quality.

Personally I virtually never take pictures with my phone. As long as the pictures I do take are reasonably clear then I really couldn't care less. I am a horrible photographer myself so I've never been one to share any of my photos (even with great cameras). I use my photos to remind myself of my experiences but the enjoyment of them are gained from reminescing about events I have no pictures of, so I really don't care much about how the actual picture looks.

That said, I am not willing to purchase a phone that I feel I am making tons of sacrifices for for no reason other than to get a very slightly better camera, or to try to put pressure on the manufacturer that they MUST put the best camera in the industry in their phone.

I personally think that Motorola deserves much more praise for making a phone with the best ergonomics bar none in virtually any phone to date while still having very good battery life, performance, and with breakthrough technology allowing a mobile device to monitor its surroundings and provide necessary information for its user when the user needs to know it and is ready to assist the user anytime they ask for assistance.

For those reasons I have no qualms about purchasing a Moto X even though it has an acceptable (albeit unreliable) camera. Those people who have camera quality as a top priority can feel free to purchase a phone based on their own needs, and its no skin off my back, but I'm sure the camera is more than acceptable for the vast majority of users desires and actually ideal for some if picture speed is a priority and I feel that people read that the camera quality is slightly less than that of its competitors so then automatically think it is a horrendous camera that should have never seen the light of day.

Agreed.

Moto X

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site

And I never said it was garbage. I've never used one, so I can't say directly. But all the reviews I've read say it is subpar and to stick with the S4 or One if camera is important to you.

My comments were directed towards people that seemingly can't understand that camera is one of the more important aspects of a smartphone to some people.

I think Moto should be applauded. They finally made a phone that is perfect in every aspect but that. I LOVE everything else about the phone. And may still get one. I'm waiting for some more reviews from the public. Or to be able to see one in Verizon and check it out myself.

But back to my earlier comment. I never once said this wasn't a great overall phone. Just that others have better cameras and I MAY not switch because of that. And that cameras are important to a lot of people. Just because it isn't important to YOU doesn't mean others don't find it very important and feel slightly let down that a perfect Android phone in every other way was released that isn't up to par (in some people's opinions) in the camera arena.

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
Thanks to some of you for providing valuable feedback and insight- I'm considering upgrading to the Moto X and right now I use an iPhone 4s. The 4s has been good to me, it's provided a fluid user experience and it's been as reliable a phone as I could have hoped for. Of course I feel some separation anxiety considering that I've been rooted in Apple's walled garden for a while now, but after trying out iOS 7 for 2 months and coming away less than enthusiastic I feel that the best bet for a fresh smartphone experience lies in a separate operating system. I use my iPhone for mostly Facebook, email (Mailbox), and some photography because the 4s camera is so freaking good. My principal concerns are listed below and I hope that you guys can help me overcome or at least mitigate the tradeoffs of switching:

1) Is there a service available on Android analogous to iMessage, where I can pick up a conversation on my computer?
2) Does the camera and processing match or exceed that of the 4s's? Does the image do justice to what's being captured? If you have lax standards when it comes to camera quality and a less than astute eye you probably shouldn't answer this question :p
3) I've been told that Android phones generally don't get day one updates as opposed to iOS where you don't have to wait long to get the latest software upgrade. From what I've heard, the Moto X was developed in close concert with Google- does that mean these delays will shrink significantly?

Thanks.

Last edited:

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Go to Verizon and get a maxx. Try it for one week. Take it back and get a Moto X. I'm pretty sure you will end up keeping the Moto X. That's what happened to me anyway.

Well, he would have to keep it. Verizon only allows one trade.

Anyway, I got mine and am setting it up now. All I can say so far is my god, the black phone is beautiful.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
I've been told that Android phones generally don't get day one updates as opposed to iOS where you don't have to wait long to get the latest software upgrade. From what I've heard, the Moto X was developed in close concert with Google- does that mean these delays will shrink significantly?

That's the hope of everyone, but the updates will still likely be delayed by the carriers. Verizon, in particular, delays updates for testing, which seems to take forever.

Strawdawg

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Strange how people now talk about how good the HTC One camera is when it was panned by many initially. Personally, I have seen more bad outdoor shots from the One posted than I have from the X. Fortunately I have seen enough real pictures posted by users that I am no longer very concerned about the quality from the X. My son has a 1020 work phone that takes fantastic pics most of the time. Yet, he just bought two of the X for him and his wife after examining his friends' phones that bought them on opening day.

Different buyers rate phones according to their own opinions and needs and that is the best way. Relying particularly on reviewers comments based on pre-production phones may not always be the most reliable.

thegrants82

Banned
May 8, 2013
Visit site
Well, he would have to keep it. Verizon only allows one trade.

Anyway, I got mine and am setting it up now. All I can say so far is my god, the black phone is beautiful.

That's kind of true but I called and asked first. I got the maxx with the intention on testing it while waiting for the moto x. Verizon said I could return the maxx to the store if I didn't like it and if I didn't like the moto x I could return that one by mail. If you call them they will pretty much do anything you want within reason. I knew after day one that the maxx wasn't for me so I read reviews on the moto x then just bought it before the test drive with the maxx expired.

Moto X

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I've been following this thread for a few days now. There is a lot of good information. I ordered my Moto X Thursday and happy I did. I have a GE Galaxy S4 and, a S-off, converted to GE, unlocked HTC One. I really like Tmobile but At&t's LTE coverage is much better and consistant in my city. I can't wait to do a review and compare the three phones.

I read a lot of discussion about the Moto X and it's specs and performance. What I really like about it is it reminds me of the Nexus 4 with some extra features such as, more storage, LTE and, custimization.

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
How easy it is to open up the camera and take a picture. Plus I was outside snapping a few pictures this morning with my iphone5 and my moto X and to tell you the truth I couldn't really see much of a difference. Then I brought the phones inside and did the same test and to tell you the truth I couldn't really see much of a difference. But that's all an amateurs opinion. If anything the iPhone camera has a slight edge but I don't think by much.

In my opinion:

Level 1-- iPhone 5, S4, and Nokia Windows phone

Level 2-- Everything else.

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site

For the record, my DSLR, lenses, hotshoe flash and accessories do NOT fit in a fanny pack. :p

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Strange how people now talk about how good the HTC One camera is when it was panned by many initially.

Lord yes, this 1000 times, for pretty much every phone released in the last 12 months. People talk such utter crap about how good OR bad each camera's pics are it's become some tech forum version of the Liar's Club game show.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I think you should at least wait and see if a software update can enhance/improve the shortcomings of the camera before completely writing it off. I will be waiting and see if moto can improve on what they have or if it is just another poor motorola camera.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I think you should at least wait and see if a software update can enhance/improve the shortcomings of the camera before completely writing it off. I will be waiting and see if moto can improve on what they have or if it is just another poor motorola camera.

I hope you're right that an update improves upon the camera. This is seriously my dream Android phone, aside from the camera.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20