AT&T FoxFi or other Tethering solution on unlimited data plan

quietlybrilliant

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Has anybody gotten WiFi tethering to work on the Moto X with AT&T? I'm getting an error message with FoxFi.

Also, when will there be a 4.3 update?

Last edited:

rajeshr68

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Re: FoxFi or other Tethering solution

Does regular WiFi tethering not work for you? Not sure why you use FoxFi?

No news about the 4.3 update as yet.

grooks

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site

I was able to use wifi tethering on my Galaxy Nexus without a problem but the Moto X will not work unless I pay for the service through AT&T.

Thought I read somewhere that the carriers were not able to block nexus devices from tethering. Since the Moto X is not a nexus device, free tethering may not be available.

flyingpylon

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

I'm interested in whether FoxFi will work on the Moto X as well because although hotspot access is part of our corporate cell plan, our admin disables it in an effort to control data usage. I don't want to go crazy with it or anything, but I also don't want to have to request that it be turned on every single time I need it. I know it works with many devices, but obviously the Moto X is new so it would be great to get confirmation.

quietlybrilliant

May 12, 2013
Visit site

That's a major bummer. Screen size and ability to tether were the two main reasons for me to leave iOS.

This is such a great device otherwise, almost perfect hardware wise.

earsly

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site

Wow this is not good news. I have unlimited data from Verizon and need that tethering support. If not this phone is a no go for me.

rajeshr68

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site

Wow this is not good news. I have unlimited data from Verizon and need that tethering support. If not this phone is a no go for me.

Wifi Tethering is available for the Moto X. It seems that AT&T has been able to disable it for a certain set of users. However on Rogers & Fido, wifi hotspots work without issues.

Gamer_Radar

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site

ATT Teathering is disabled unless you PAY for it.

FoxFi goes around the built in teathering and allows user's to mask the Teathering as normal internet use (It doesnt show that they are teathering.. Shows that the teathered device is just the cellphone which is why people love it)

aco905

May 22, 2012
Visit site

We can only hope that on the Google edition of the Moto X, that the FoxFi app for work.

Posted via Android Central App

rajeshr68

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site

Anyone using the AT&T version on other networks - can you let me know if wifi tethering works for you?

pgood4

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site

You've probably already validated this, but are you using the version specific to ATT. I seem many versions on the play store. If that doesn't work, hopefully it will be updated to support the x quickly.

aco905

May 22, 2012
Visit site

I've got foxfi that I side loaded from their website, not the app from the GP store, will that work with the Moto X? Having foxfi is my last hangup, I'm grandfathered with unlimited data, and just can't give that up....using an S3 with out problems....

Posted via Android Central App

quietlybrilliant

May 12, 2013
Visit site

It would be really sad to have this be the deal breaker. This phone is growing on me quickly, despite the silly back facing speaker (relic from pre-HTC One phone design ages). I just love its minimalism: how it doesn't have anything on it that I don't need, is as small as can be for a 4.7 inch screen, and does the things it does so well, thanks to stock Android.

But, if I can't find a way to do my 200 MB/month tethering on this thing for free, it will be returned to AT&T. The occasions where I need to tether are rare and unpredictable, but crucial.

Beth Young

May 28, 2013
Visit site

Anyone using the AT&T version on other networks - can you let me know if wifi tethering works for you?

I am through sprint trying to use motorola photon and foxfi to tether my samsung galaxy note 10.2. I have not been able to get it to work. I show connected on phone side, connected in my wifi settings on tablet however all programs/apps do not recognize connection and sends back, "no network connection, please make sure you have an internet connection and try again"

dpw2atox

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site

Sometimes when a new device is released the Tethering apps need to be updated to support any custom OS changes that the manufacturer made. I think if FoxFi doesn't work right now it'll take a few days for an update to come out and fix the issue.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995