AT&T FoxFi or other Tethering solution on unlimited data plan

aco905

May 22, 2012
Visit site
Re: FoxFi or other Tethering solution

I understand that on AT&T with the unlimited data plan the wifi hotspot will not work. Will the Bluetooth work , or if you physically tether the phone to a computer?

Posted via Android Central App

quietlybrilliant

May 12, 2013
Visit site

I understand that on AT&T with the unlimited data plan the wifi hotspot will not work. Will the Bluetooth work , or if you physically tether the phone to a computer?

Believe me it's irrelevant -- I tried using the BT and USB connections for 2 hours, on a phone that *did* allow wifi tethering, and eventually gave up.

aco905

May 22, 2012
Visit site

Believe me it's irrelevant -- I tried using the BT and USB connections for 2 hours, on a phone that *did* allow wifi tethering, and eventually gave up.

I am on AT&T, I have the grandfathered unlimited plan, I have a galaxy s3, and have absolutely no problem using FoxFi in any way shape or matter. My question is will it work on the "Moto X" using BT or USB. Not on a phone that
"did" allow it.

quietlybrilliant

May 12, 2013
Visit site

I am on AT&T, I have the grandfathered unlimited plan, I have a galaxy s3, and have absolutely no problem using FoxFi in any way shape or matter. My question is will it work on the "Moto X" using BT or USB. Not on a phone that
"did" allow it.

Did you get the BT and USB ways to work on your S3? I never got them to work on my HTC One X.

aco905

May 22, 2012
Visit site

Did you get the BT and USB ways to work on your S3? I never got them to work on my HTC One X.

Yes to BT, there are instructions in the foxfi app walking through the procedure to get the Bluetooth working. Its a pain, you only have to do it once. I am using it on a work computer running XP.

ericizzy1

May 17, 2010
Visit site

i have an unlimited data plan on verizon and using the hotspot feature alot. just wondering if any verizon customer with unlimited data was able to find a good way to use the hotspot on the moto x

myRT

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site

Are you just using the one from the play store? Foxfi or pdanet? Could you post a link?

-Sent from my Droid Mini.-

I'm using foxfi for pdanet on my X and works fine. I'm also grandfathered into verizons unlimited.

Using foxfi at home for WiFi at the rate of about 65 gig a month! Eat it Verizon!

mistermojorizin

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site

I'm using foxfi for pdanet on my X and works fine. I'm also grandfathered into verizons unlimited.

Using foxfi at home for WiFi at the rate of about 65 gig a month! Eat it Verizon!

if you're using wifi, why do you need pdanet? i thought the pdanet on your computer is needed only for usb/bluetooth tethering. and pdanet isn't needed on your phone if you have foxfi. foxfi is a standalone app.

gcims

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site

My Fox Fi on Verizon requires a certificate be installed which requires a lock screen which crippled touchless controls. Very bummed by this. Not able to find solution.

gcims

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site

All the time I've had Foxfi I had two icons in notification bar while active. One blue for Foxfi one Grey for pda. Net

gcims

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site

My Fox Fi on Verizon requires a certificate be installed which requires a lock screen which crippled touchless controls. Very bummed by this. Not able to find solution.

flyingpylon

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

Is it possible to only enable the lock screen at times when you need FoxFi to work?

myRT

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site

if you're using wifi, why do you need pdanet? i thought the pdanet on your computer is needed only for usb/bluetooth tethering. and pdanet isn't needed on your phone if you have foxfi. foxfi is a standalone app.

The other version of foxfi worked great for me for a long time then stopped. I read that verizon figured it out and blocked it with an update. A week later I tried foxfi for PDA net and haven't had a problem since so I stuck with it. Works great.

ericizzy1

May 17, 2010
Visit site

The other version of foxfi worked great for me for a long time then stopped. I read that verizon figured it out and blocked it with an update. A week later I tried foxfi for PDA net and haven't had a problem since so I stuck with it. Works great.

does it require you to have a password set up?

mistermojorizin

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site

thanks for the response, can you please explain how you've got it setup, i don't quite understand what "foxfi for PDA net" means (they are 2 seperate apps in the play store, and also a pdanet on the windows computer). we're talking about wifi hotspot, right?

myRT

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site

thanks for the response, can you please explain how you've got it setup, i don't quite understand what "foxfi for PDA net" means (they are 2 seperate apps in the play store, and also a pdanet on the windows computer). we're talking about wifi hotspot, right?

If this confuses I apologize. Just looked in the app store for the one I use. Its FoxFi (tether without root) I also bought the foxfi key because without it, it limits your time useage.

Setting it up was load and play, super easy. I did notice the difference in the X and the RAZR Maxx HD is I now have the grey hotspot icon top left that I didn't have before in addition to the foxfi blue hotspot icon which i now have to manually shut off separately from the foxfi hotspot.

As for the password, yes it requires you to have a pattern or other type of password in order for it to be used. Always and it sucks. I hate passwords but I'll deal with it. Better than the $30 Verizon wants to charge for their hotspot.

myRT

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site

One more note and not sure I get it but....

Went back to the app store, searched foxfi hotspot and two show up. The root without tether and the PDA net version. Both say I've already downloaded them. This is where I'm mildly confused (but honestly couldn't care less)...I deleted foxfi from my X, re installed with the key and it still shows I've downloaded both versions. Go figure

ashineh

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site

So does verizon track if you use this app?? Im also on grandfathered unlimited with VZW and relied on it alot with my GNEX, but scared for the charges if they find out...it does work tho, i just turned it off immediately lol
any help would be much obliged

myRT

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
So does verizon track if you use this app?? Im also on grandfathered unlimited with VZW and relied on it alot with my GNEX, but scared for the charges if they find out...it does work tho, i just turned it off immediately lol
any help would be much obliged

Lol using over 60 gig a month on it and never going to pay them another $30 for tethering or hotspot. No, since I've been using it they've never tried to call me out on it

Posted via my MotoX

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae