AT&T FoxFi or other Tethering solution on unlimited data plan

thegrants82

Banned
May 8, 2013
Visit site
Re: FoxFi or other Tethering solution

Lol using over 60 gig a month on it and never going to pay them another $30 for tethering or hotspot. No, since I've been using it they've never tried to call me out on it

Posted via my MotoX

Pretty much the same here except I usually use only in the 40's

Posted via Android Central App

roadrat

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site

Has anyone figured out how to use FoxFi without installing a certificate and using a password?

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk 4

joeynumbers

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site

If foxfi doesn't work for you then you are going to have to root.

As a side note... The nexus line tethers without even a need to install an app.

ashineh

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site

Lol using over 60 gig a month on it and never going to pay them another $30 for tethering or hotspot. No, since I've been using it they've never tried to call me out on it

Posted via my MotoX

Lol good to know. Thanks. Second question...do you guys turn off the phones built in tether (turns on automatically for me so I have two notifications on top left) and just leave the foxfi one? I physically had to uncheck the built in one to turn it off which is why I got scared version would track...thanks in advance. Sorry for being noob just dont want a big surprising bill

flintdog

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site

myRT did you go through the play store and install the PDA app and Foxfi or did you side load them from the foxfi site for the moto x? Question 2: since you have to have the pin lock on the moto x, does that disable the "Ok google now" function when the phone is sleeping or can you still use your voice to activate the phone? Question 3: what other features does having to have the pin lock on break that you would normally have if it wasn't on there?

Thanks for answering.

disregard this post and read quoted post!!!!!

Last edited:

flintdog

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site

If this confuses I apologize. Just looked in the app store for the one I use. Its FoxFi (tether without root) I also bought the foxfi key because without it, it limits your time useage.

Setting it up was load and play, super easy. I did notice the difference in the X and the RAZR Maxx HD is I now have the grey hotspot icon top left that I didn't have before in addition to the foxfi blue hotspot icon which i now have to manually shut off separately from the foxfi hotspot.

As for the password, yes it requires you to have a pattern or other type of password in order for it to be used. Always and it sucks. I hate passwords but I'll deal with it. Better than the $30 Verizon wants to charge for their hotspot.

myRT did you go through the play store and install the PDA app and Foxfi or did you side load them from the foxfi site for the moto x? Question 2: since you have to have the pin lock on the moto x, does that disable the "Ok google now" function when the phone is sleeping or can you still use your voice to activate the phone? Question 3: what other features does having to have the pin lock on break that you would normally have if it wasn't on there?

Thanks for answering.

myRT

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site

Thanks for answering.

Hey

1) I went thru the app store for it.

2). Google Now still functions fine for hitting snooze however yes, the stupid pattern password occasionally gets in the way which is close to a deal breaker for me on foxfi....but considering the amount that its saving me....I tolerate it.

3). Which other functions does it break? Pretty much everything that requires hands free completely besides snooze.

It doesn't often bother me really. I don't use the hands free voice activated OK Google now except in the car while I'm driving and with Waze open, no password.

If I didn't use foxfi for my families internet needs at home....I wouldn't bother using it. But!!!! Not paying 70+ a month for internet when I still have unlimited....I'll suffer the password and also save the 30 fee from Verizon.

Posted via my MotoX

myRT

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site

Lol good to know. Thanks. Second question...do you guys turn off the phones built in tether (turns on automatically for me so I have two notifications on top left) and just leave the foxfi one? I physically had to uncheck the built in one to turn it off which is why I got scared version would track...thanks in advance. Sorry for being noob just dont want a big surprising bill

I leave I on. Never really tried to shut it off while foxfi is active. I'll give that a shot tonight and report back.
Lol no worries. I've been out of the race a long time so I'm kinda renoobish! Use to be a blackberry junkie...built forums apps and launchers back in the day.

Posted via my MotoX

myRT

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site

Get this crap....

Uninstalled foxfi and key....went to remove my pattern password.......and it won't allow me to. Glitch? Either way it's getting a factory wipe tonight.

Posted via my MotoX

myRT

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site

Get this crap....

Uninstalled foxfi and key....went to remove my pattern password.......and it won't allow me to. Glitch? Either way it's getting a factory wipe tonight.

Posted via my MotoX

OK I'm a dumba** it won't remove the password because I have administration features enabled for remote wipe. So that being the case, using foxfi or not I have to keep the password on or disable admin features

Posted via my MotoX

quietlybrilliant

May 12, 2013
Visit site

I'm using foxfi for pdanet on my X and works fine. I'm also grandfathered into verizons unlimited.

Using foxfi at home for WiFi at the rate of about 65 gig a month! Eat it Verizon!

I'm sorry but I don't believe you. Unless AT&T has a special malicious deal with Motorola/Google to block it for them.

quietlybrilliant

May 12, 2013
Visit site

Returned my Moto X. This behavior on the side of AT&T/Moto/Google is deeply unethical and a deal killer for me. I pay $30/month for an unlimited plan of which I use 3GB including tethering. I'm going back to an HTC One with Modaco Switch to accomplish what is only fair.

nemov

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site

PdaNet bought FoxFi awhile back and the two apps are bundled together. However, both apps are still available separately on Google Play. Maybe the deal went South? Or perhaps they're just morons because they way it's currently setup is confusing. I was asked install ball for FoxFi to continue to work and now I have both apps on my phone.

myRT

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site

I'm sorry but I don't believe you. Unless AT&T has a special malicious deal with Motorola/Google to block it for them.

Lol that's OK. If I could figure out how to post screenshots here I would but have a headache and don't care to prove myself. Why would I lie about something as trivial as that.
I believe this forum (and most forums) is here for users to help each other....not mislead each other.

Posted via my MotoX

myRT

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site

Returned my Moto X. This behavior on the side of AT&T/Moto/Google is deeply unethical and a deal killer for me. I pay $30/month for an unlimited plan of which I use 3GB including tethering. I'm going back to an HTC One with Modaco Switch to accomplish what is only fair.

If you're looking for ethics in big business I think you will be disappointed. Sorry to hear you're returning you X. I love mine. If I can figure out how to post a pic here using the forum app I will. Maybe then you'll believe my use of foxfi. I'll show ya my data use as well. If you're happy with the X I would suggest giving foxfi a try for yourself. I think you'll be pleased with its ability to work around the lack of corporate ethics which is charging you more for what you should already have. I don't disagree with you but I'm not willing to give up an awesome device out of bitterness. If I were, it would be more than just my phone provider that would be getting what they sold me delivered back to them

Posted via my MotoX

quietlybrilliant

May 12, 2013
Visit site

OK, please accept my apology for not believing you.

I read somewhere that it was a special "deal" (or something like it) between AT&T and Motorola that makes FoxFi not work (and I tried it and it didn't work). So I guess I could have switched to Verizon. But for now I'll wait for the Nexus 5 to come out and see if that allows FoxFi to work.

Lol that's OK. If I could figure out how to post screenshots here I would but have a headache and don't care to prove myself. Why would I lie about something as trivial as that.
I believe this forum (and most forums) is here for users to help each other....not mislead each other.

Posted via my MotoX

captcooper

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site

VZW unlimited data, PDAnet with pattern lock working fine on my X ! Also have free no-lock app that I can turn on to disable lock. Tap the lock enable icon and wi-fi back in business.

myRT

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site

Both my sons phone and my X are on Verizon with unlimited data. We both use foxfi with zero issues. In fact I have it on now while my youngest son is using it for Xbox Live right now

Posted via my MotoX