I am worried that this phone may not sell as well as motorola may think... Don't get me wrong, I love the phone, the features, and the design opportunities; the phone is solid! However, I walked into an AT&T store today to buy the Moto X customization card, but I was told by the clerk to buy it at a specific at&t store. I drove to that store to find the only clerk who could help me with the moto x busy helping a customer. In the meantime the other agents were standing while oblivious to what is customization. The agent finally became free to only try to sell me a white or black moto x instead of the card. She had no clue what these cards I was referring to. I left the store to finally find an at&t store way out on the outer edge of Boston that sells the moto x customization cards. I was excited and even saw the backs of the moto x, which I considered rare because the other at&t stores didn't have the kiosk. Unfortunately, the only guy who knew anything about motorola was busy, and I waited 2 hours to finally ask him to sell me the card. He was skeptical about selling me the card because this was the first card that he sold since moto x launched on friday, which is weird. He scanned, made me sign, and printed a receipt for me with the moto x card. I was surprised that I wasn't charged a dime for the card because I was under the impression that you pay at the store for the card than customize on the motorola site. I finally got home to customize my own moto x. Finally.... but... wait... error... "This Redemption PIN is inactive. Please call the number on the back of your Moto X card so we can help."? I couldn't believe this so I called the number to find out that the store representative had to scan all 3 codes and properly activate the card. I told the clerk that the at&t agents had no clue of what the card is. She finally told me that an motorola expert will can me in 24-48hrs to help me activate the code. I am not only frustrated, but I am worried about motorola and the moto x product. They have a great product, but right now at&t is ruining this launch!
    08-26-2013 11:15 PM
    I am worried that this phone may not sell as well as motorola may think... Don't get me wrong, I love the phone, the features, and the design opportunities; the phone is solid! However, I walked into an AT&T store today to buy the Moto X customization card, but I was told by the clerk to buy it at a specific at&t store. I drove to that store to find the only clerk who could help me with the moto x busy helping a customer. In the meantime the other agents were standing while oblivious to what is customization. The agent finally became free to only try to sell me a white or black moto x instead of the card. She had no clue what these cards I was referring to. I left the store to finally find an at&t store way out on the outer edge of Boston that sells the moto x customization cards. I was excited and even saw the backs of the moto x, which I considered rare because the other at&t stores didn't have the kiosk. Unfortunately, the only guy who knew anything about motorola was busy, and I waited 2 hours to finally ask him to sell me the card. He was skeptical about selling me the card because this was the first card that he sold since moto x launched on friday, which is weird. He scanned, made me sign, and printed a receipt for me with the moto x card. I was surprised that I wasn't charged a dime for the card because I was under the impression that you pay at the store for the card than customize on the motorola site. I finally got home to customize my own moto x. Finally.... but... wait... error... "This Redemption PIN is inactive. Please call the number on the back of your Moto X card so we can help."? I couldn't believe this so I called the number to find out that the store representative had to scan all 3 codes and properly activate the card. I told the clerk that the at&t agents had no clue of what the card is. She finally told me that an motorola expert will can me in 24-48hrs to help me activate the code. I am not only frustrated, but I am worried about motorola and the moto x product. They have a great product, but right now at&t is ruining this launch!
    First - are you sure every AT&T "store" you went to was an actual corporate store, not some authorized retailer?

Second - If this is what's happening with AT&T, I'm kind of glad customization isn't available for all yet.
    08-26-2013 11:20 PM
    Just talked to an AT&T representative through chat.... wow.... and yes they were corporate.

Ashtyn Fabry: Hello Kevin, let me pull up your account real fast.
    Kevin Russell: okay
    Ashtyn Fabry: By customization card do you mean an SD card?
    Kevin Russell: no
    Kevin Russell: the moto x designit card
    Kevin Russell: you buy it in the store
    Kevin Russell: it haves a pin you enter at Motorola - A Google Company
    Ashtyn Fabry: Ok, what does it do?
    Kevin Russell: and you design your new moto x phone
    Ashtyn Fabry: Ok. Let me figure this out.
    Kevin Russell: which is exclusive only to at&t
    Ashtyn Fabry: Ok so the scratched off PIN didn't work?
    Kevin Russell: nope it gives me this error: This Redemption PIN is inactive. Please call the number on the back of your Moto X card so we can help.
    Ashtyn Fabry: Did you call the number on the back of your Moto X card?
    Kevin Russell: they told me to go back to the at&t store... but i visited 6 stores in boston and none of them knew of the designit card
    Kevin Russell: or about the moto x
    Kevin Russell: yes
    Kevin Russell: the store that sold me the card didn't know how to sell it to me either
    Ashtyn Fabry: Ok, hold on.
    Ashtyn Fabry: Kevin, so I can't troubleshoot the customization card online. I also can't send you a new one. So You will need to go to a store and request a new customization card if they can't activate this one.
    Kevin Russell: how can i if most of the at&t agents in boston doesn't know how to properly sell this product
    Kevin Russell: its been 4 days since this phone launched
    Ashtyn Fabry: If I were you, I'd try calling that number again.
    Kevin Russell: wow...
    Ashtyn Fabry: I apologize however I am unable to make the card work. You could try calling Motorola?
    Kevin Russell: now i am wondering about at&t in general.... thanks for nothing.
    08-26-2013 11:36 PM
    Just talked to an AT&T representative through chat.... wow.... and yes they were corporate.

Ashtyn Fabry: Hello Kevin, let me pull up your account real fast.
    Kevin Russell: okay
    Ashtyn Fabry: By customization card do you mean an SD card?
    Kevin Russell: no
    Kevin Russell: the moto x designit card
    Kevin Russell: you buy it in the store
    Kevin Russell: it haves a pin you enter at Motorola - A Google Company
    Ashtyn Fabry: Ok, what does it do?
    Kevin Russell: and you design your new moto x phone
    Ashtyn Fabry: Ok. Let me figure this out.
    Kevin Russell: which is exclusive only to at&t
    Ashtyn Fabry: Ok so the scratched off PIN didn't work?
    Kevin Russell: nope it gives me this error: This Redemption PIN is inactive. Please call the number on the back of your Moto X card so we can help.
    Ashtyn Fabry: Did you call the number on the back of your Moto X card?
    Kevin Russell: they told me to go back to the at&t store... but i visited 6 stores in boston and none of them knew of the designit card
    Kevin Russell: or about the moto x
    Kevin Russell: yes
    Kevin Russell: the store that sold me the card didn't know how to sell it to me either
    Ashtyn Fabry: Ok, hold on.
    Ashtyn Fabry: Kevin, so I can't troubleshoot the customization card online. I also can't send you a new one. So You will need to go to a store and request a new customization card if they can't activate this one.
    Kevin Russell: how can i if most of the at&t agents in boston doesn't know how to properly sell this product
    Kevin Russell: its been 4 days since this phone launched
    Ashtyn Fabry: If I were you, I'd try calling that number again.
    Ashtyn Fabry: I apologize however I am unable to make the card work. You could try calling Motorola?
    Kevin Russell: now i am wondering about at&t in general.... thanks for nothing.
    *smh* not to mention, no one in 6 stores knew what the card was? dear lord!
    08-26-2013 11:40 PM
    That is ridiculous. I guess those doing this at the store (Chicago flagship) I bought my stock black one were lucky. They had so many Moto X specific people and I even got a free T-shirt.

I hope what you found isn't indicative of what most will find.

Posted via Android Central App
    08-27-2013 08:03 AM
    I can't speak for every store, but I can only speak for mine. We made sure that we read through every possible training about the Moto X and selling the card. There is also an issue with scanning the Moto X cards in our cash register system. They will not activate unless we manually enter all three barcodes. This was an error that was just found out yesterday.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk 4
    08-27-2013 08:44 AM
    I can't speak for every store, but I can only speak for mine. We made sure that we read through every possible training about the Moto X and selling the card. There is also an issue with scanning the Moto X cards in our cash register system. They will not activate unless we manually enter all three barcodes. This was an error that was just found out yesterday.

I'm not sure about the scanning, but I wished I walked into your store because yesterday was bad. I talked to motorola last night as well and they said i would get a call today or tomorrow. They updated it as priority. Hopefully I can get this fixed soon.
    08-27-2013 09:35 AM
    I'm sorry, globster2000. It took me 10 days to get mine after I entered my order. Keep in mind though, a lot of AT&T employees ordered their phones the same day. :-)

08-27-2013 10:05 AM
    I'm sorry, globster2000. It took me 10 days to get mine after I entered my order. Keep in mind though, a lot of AT&T employees ordered their phones the same day. :-)

if what you are saying is correct, then maybe a lot is motorola's fault on not disclosing all of the details. However, I luckily received a call from motorola a minute ago, which surprised me. They told me that I will receive an email in 24-48hr's with a fixed pin code, and they apologized to me. She said that motorola will most likely email me sometime soon though. I am keeping my fingers crossed.
    08-27-2013 12:26 PM
    This is a new process. You shouldn't be terribly surprised that low skilled workers haven't figured out a new system within one week of a launch. I read somewhere that Motorola is spending $500 million marketing this phone. I haven't seen any commercials yet, so I suspect Motorola is letting the kinks get worked out before they push too hard. Plus, it's not even available at Verizon yet. I expect a big push when the holiday season begins.
    08-27-2013 12:48 PM
    if what you are saying is correct, then maybe a lot is motorola's fault on not disclosing all of the details. However, I luckily received a call from motorola a minute ago, which surprised me. They told me that I will receive an email in 24-48hr's with a fixed pin code, and they apologized to me. She said that motorola will most likely email me sometime soon though. I am keeping my fingers crossed.
    No, it was actually just a glitch in the system. There really isn't any blame to go around, but everybody's to blame.

08-27-2013 12:52 PM
    This is a new process. You shouldn't be terrible surprised that low skilled workers haven't figured out a new system within one week of a launch. I read somewhere that Motorola is spending $500 million marketing this phone. I haven't seen any commercials yet, so I suspect Motorola is letting the kinds get worked out before they push too hard. Plus, it's not even available at Verizon yet. I expect a big push when the holiday season begins.
    I am starting to think that as well. It's as if motorola is either testing things or waiting till things are fixed. However, the product was unveiled a month ago almost, and training should had been done weeks ago. At least have someone at the store knowledgable in selling the cards.
    08-27-2013 12:54 PM

I experienced this yesterday when buying mine. The rep had to enter it manually, luckily he was knowledgeable on the product and the process.
    krisguy likes this.
    08-27-2013 02:17 PM
    When I tried to purchase a 32GB card, the rep was trying to ring up the display cards for like an hour until realizing she needed to grab one from the back.
    08-27-2013 03:39 PM
    They have a great product, but right now at&t is ruining this launch!
    Sounds like some of these AT&T employees, as well as Motorola, are still figuring out this entire process.

I wouldn't go to any other store than the one that sold you the card. If the customization card isn't working, it's their fault and job to fix it. You ask to speak to whoever you have to speak to. One way or another someone within the company will find you a solution.

Best of luck!
    Ry and Aquila like this.
    08-27-2013 08:54 PM
    Thread has been cleaned up. You don't have to all agree with one another, but we expect you to keep the discussion civil and on-topic. If you don't care for a post or the thread, just move on. If you believe that a post is inappropriate, feel free to hit the report button. Complaining about other posts or members in the thread is not an appropriate response.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II
    08-27-2013 08:56 PM
    Glad to see AT&t is so on top of things. Motorola made a HUGE mistake in partnering with them for the Moto Maker launch. Sadly this will reflect on Motorola instead of putting the blame where it BELONGS, on AT&T.
    08-27-2013 09:01 PM
    Sadly this will reflect on [insert OEM here] instead of putting the blame where it BELONGS, on [insert carrier here].
    Fixed that for posterity.
    08-27-2013 09:18 PM
    Sounds like some of these AT&T employees, as well as Motorola, are still figuring out this entire process.

I wouldn't go to any other store than the one that sold you the card. If the customization card isn't working, it's their fault and job to fix it. You ask to speak to whoever you have to speak to. One way or another someone within the company will find you a solution.

Best of luck!
    thanks for the advice... it's been a rough 3 days... and i will have to wait till tomorrow to have some sort of idea of what I can do because my at&t account shows me as upgraded to the moto x, but I have an inactive card, and I am not sure if the store can fix it. Motorola finally emailed me back with the following message:

Hi Kevin,
    I received your escalation about your redemption pin being invalid.

After some investigation, I found that AT&T didn't activate the card correctly. There are three different bar codes on the back of your Moto X Card. The AT&T in-store representative will need to scan all three of these codes into their Opus system as a direct fulfillment phone for the card to be activated. Unfortunately in this case you will need to go back to the AT&T store and have them scan these codes to activate the card. While you are at AT&T please go to the http://forums.androidcentral.com/e?l...token=6tCQo-Ab to validate your code is active.

If you have additional questions or need further assistance, please reach out to us.
    Thanks!
    Michelle
    After receiving that email, I returned to the same at&t I bought the moto x designit card at. The agent who sold me the card still doesn't know how to fix the problem, and told me he will fix the problem tomorrow morning. He said that he had to leave early to pickup his daughter. However, I haven't paid for the card, and that makes me skeptical about him being able to fix it tomorrow morning. I have a feeling that I have to return to the store tomorrow, which is 30 miles away from my house. I even tried to return the card, but he told me it will take several days at best to reverse the process; he said for me to wait till tomorrow morning so that he can resolve the issue. I have even tried to fix this issue with another store, but those agents couldn't because it isn't a product of their store. As for the other agents in the original store I bought the product at, they have no clue where to begin in fixing the process. I am starting to think this phone is too much hassle, and I am not sure if I want to buy it now. My advice to all is to avoid buying the moto x designit card if possible; the card is like the plague, too many problems to face before getting something in return
    08-28-2013 05:04 PM
    I just got notice that the scanning issue with the Moto X cards has been fixed. He should just be able to go into direct fulfillment and scan all three barcodes now.

08-28-2013 05:19 PM
    I just got notice that the scanning issue with the Moto X cards has been fixed. He should just be able to go into direct fulfillment and scan all three barcodes now.

Really? maybe he will be able to fix it... but gah... it took forever for there to be a solution. I have lost count of how many people i had to talk to or re-talk to in order for this to be resolved.
    08-28-2013 05:21 PM
    If scanning doesn't work just tell him to enter the codes manually, that will work.
    08-28-2013 06:28 PM
    If scanning doesn't work just tell him to enter the codes manually, that will work.
    Its not that... he couldn't figure out how... hopefully he can tomorrow.
    08-28-2013 06:39 PM
    Its not that... he couldn't figure out how... hopefully he can tomorrow.
    Thats interesting since the system walks the rep through the process. My rep had me come behind the counter as he went through the process so I was able to watch the whole thing. Also, one small gotcha was there was no option under shipping, you just had to hit submit after validating the codes and address. I would ask for the manager and if he can't help tell them to get their support team on the phone. I would also ask for a credit for all your trouble and multiple trips to the store.
    08-28-2013 07:45 PM

A quick update. I ended up waiting for the tech to resolve the issue. It took him 7 hours to figure out that he couldn't activate the code, and instead refunded me the purchase along with the upgrade. To top things off they shut off my data plan on my current phone for a few hours because they had no clue why it shut off. When they got it back on my data plan change to a more expensive plan because I had a grandfather plan of 2gigs for 25. Idk why I am having so much hassle but I am now talking to AT&T and motorola
    08-29-2013 05:50 PM