Mods please feel free to merge into another thread if that is your preference.

Review: Moto X is the phone Android needs right now [Updated] | Reviews | Geek.com

This review had an interesting update:

Update 8/22/13: Weve edited this review to reflect significant changes found in the Moto Maker version of the Moto X. It is our belief that our initial review was based on pre-production hardware, and while we are currently waiting for a response from Motorola regarding the differences in the two Moto X phones weve tested, we wanted to update our thoughts on this device. The changes primarily took form in an improved display and camera as well as slightly improved hardware on the second Moto X we received (the Moto Maker version)

If this is true, that could be very encouraging. Or perhaps just a strange variation between two supposedly identical phones.

Some other things in this review:

*best camera quality is with HDR off
    * with HDR auto it takes longer to focus
    *sometimes best photos are taken from taking a photo while video is recording (I've seen that comment elsewhere)

Is it possible that the early review units had some issues that were corrected by software or firmware. I don't know.
    Anyway, I found this to be interesting if nothing else.
    Ry likes this.
    08-27-2013 10:51 AM
    Mods please feel free to merge into another thread if that is your preference.

Review: Moto X is the phone Android needs right now [Updated] | Reviews | Geek.com

This review had an interesting update:

Update 8/22/13: Weve edited this review to reflect significant changes found in the Moto Maker version of the Moto X. It is our belief that our initial review was based on pre-production hardware, and while we are currently waiting for a response from Motorola regarding the differences in the two Moto X phones weve tested, we wanted to update our thoughts on this device. The changes primarily took form in an improved display and camera as well as slightly improved hardware on the second Moto X we received (the Moto Maker version)

If this is true, that could be very encouraging. Or perhaps just a strange variation between two supposedly identical phones.

Some other things in this review:

*best camera quality is with HDR off
    * with HDR auto it takes longer to focus
    *sometimes best photos are taken from taking a photo while video is recording (I've seen that comment elsewhere)

Anyway, I found this to be interesting if nothing else.
    Moto always said when giving out units on august 1st these are review/demo units with not completely final sw, final production phones will have better build quality and final sw with all the tuning

Posted via Android Central App
    08-27-2013 10:54 AM
    Thanks. I had not seen that. I had noticed that people who have gotten the X or Maxx retail, their comments about the camera and screen have been more encouraging than the early pre-release reviews of the X.
    08-27-2013 10:58 AM
    Its good that you posted this. at least people will know that the devices they get will be better than what the reviewers reviewed.
    Ry and Aquila like this.
    08-27-2013 11:23 AM
    I don't know if they will be better or not, but I can certainly hope. It would likely hold true for the Droid iterations as well.
    08-27-2013 11:25 AM
    If true it would be in Motorola's best interest to confirm. Pretty much every review has complained about the camera.
    08-27-2013 11:58 AM
    i'm wondering if this will apply to verizon and the stock black/white ones that are available thursday vs waiting for the moto maker. that will definitely sway my decision.
    08-27-2013 11:59 AM
    I noted the same in our review. Moto X review | Android Central

Camera seems the same to me and the software versions are exactly the same.

This new display is far less pink, though.
    Ry and jephanie like this.
    08-27-2013 12:13 PM
    Anybody know if the ones for sell in the stores (not motomaker) are the updated ones?

Sent from my Nexus 7
    08-27-2013 07:47 PM
    I noted the same in our review. Moto X review | Android Central

Camera seems the same to me and the software versions are exactly the same.

This new display is far less pink, though.
    Of course pre-production hardware can change. It's good that the newer version has a screen improvement.

It's TERRIBLE if the Moto X was reviewed on lesser hardware, terrible for Moto.
    08-27-2013 10:19 PM