Got my Moto X in, short review

MHT90

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Got my moto X in today. Just wanted to do a short review of this phone for any potential buyers.

Ive been using a GS4 for about a month and half now until this came in.
Here are some pics:
9610394455_95c1097662_o.jpg

I dont know what exactly what the colors are called but its a camo green with orange accents, I think it looks great.

9610394329_7ab06202ee_o.jpg

I have an iphone 5 I use for more of my personal and everyday phone this was just a side by side pic of them.

9610394415_b357f287d7_o.jpg

This just shows more of the back, another side by side

9610394375_1e1655f4bf_o.jpg

I love my iphone for how slim it is, the X is not that much thicker. But it feels much bulky-er in the hands

I really didnt expect to like this phone all that much but in the less than 24hrs ive had it. Im warming up to it more and more.

What I love:
-Active notifications
-Touch less control "okay google now"
-Motorola Connect- Connects to my chrome browser on my mac. LOVE this feature the most!!!
-Great design

What I don't:
-IMO the speech control is not up to par with Siri
-Camera, is laking a bit. especially since I just came from a s4, by far the s4 has the best camera from any smartphone ive used.
-Not so sure about the Snap NFC stickers
-Twist to take pic, I know I can fire up the camera on my iphone quicker than me twisting my wrist twice to fire up the X's camera.
-Mobile hotspot is PATHETIC. My GS4 was getting 30 mbps down and 6-9 mbps up. The X is only getting at best 3 mbps and 1.5 mbps up.

In the end I think this phone is going to be okay. Just have to get used to it.
Hope this was helpful, ask any questions!

ki11ak3nn

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Love your review. Quick and to the point. I just had a quick question. My wife has an iPhone 4 (looking to upgrade soon) and when I tested out the "wrist twist" on a Droid Maxx it fired up the camera a lot faster than my wife's iPhone. Do you have any experience/comparison with the iPhone 4 camera??

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

MHT90

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Have you tried using your iphone 5 sim in the X or vise versa?
I did, I was quite surprised to see that both devices share nano sim. I dont know if there is something hardware wrong with the phone. I would be angry/surprised, just because everything else works fine.

Love your review. Quick and to the point. I just had a quick question. My wife has an iPhone 4 (looking to upgrade soon) and when I tested out the "wrist twist" on a Droid Maxx it fired up the camera a lot faster than my wife's iPhone. Do you have any experience/comparison with the iPhone 4 camera??

Well the phone 4 is an older phone so the processing speeds are nothing like now a day phones. I did have a 4 but that was several years ago. I think that the twist to fire up the camera can be quicker it will just take time getting used to. Thats why I "think" my iphone 5 camera is faster, even thou it might not in reality its probly because im used to my iphone.

guesswhat_567

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
This depends on how you are using/testing it ..I though the same I can just swipe to launch the camera why do need to care about some weird gesture ..After using it for couple of days I feel it is useful if not faster, simply because I can just pull the phone out of my pocket and do the wrist flick without caring about feeling for power button and looking at the screen to touch and swipe to launch the camera,
I can have my eyes locked on the scene in front of me to take a picture and do the gesture to bring up the camera to take a picture. It is really usefull ..

lostaggie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
I did, I was quite surprised to see that both devices share nano sim. I dont know if there is something hardware wrong with the phone. I would be angry/surprised, just because everything else works fine.

Well the phone 4 is an older phone so the processing speeds are nothing like now a day phones. I did have a 4 but that was several years ago. I think that the twist to fire up the camera can be quicker it will just take time getting used to. Thats why I "think" my iphone 5 camera is faster, even thou it might not in reality its probly because im used to my iphone.

Sorry but I didn't understand... Did the same sim work in both phones?

guesswhat_567

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
do you have personalized recognition checked in google now settings, i noticed voice recognition improves quite a bit over time for you overtime ..also performance is quite subjective .. i did the same test now 3 times, worked 3/3 times for me ..
LOL, to each his own. I did a simple test like "find me the nearest ATM" The X pop opened sites, WTF but siri showed me in distance where the nearest one was.
The X will ask me to resend the audio alot too...

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
LOL, to each his own. I did a simple test like "find me the nearest ATM" The X pop opened sites, WTF but siri showed me in distance where the nearest one was.
The X will ask me to resend the audio alot too...

i just asked google now "find me the nearest ATM" and it said "there are several listings for ATM one mile away"
with lists of ATM close to me with miles,phone number, direction,website link, address and reviews.

I bet people here to try it and would get the same result.

here is how the result looked when that question was asked https://plus.google.com/+google/posts/Lyy8r8UNrey

tonymhoffman

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
i just asked google now "find me the nearest ATM" and it said "there are several listings for ATM one mile away"
with lists of ATM close to me with miles,phone number, direction,website link, address and reviews.

I bet people here to try it and would get the same result.

here is how the result looked when that question was asked https://plus.google.com/+google/posts/Lyy8r8UNrey

Gave me tons in less than a second

Posted via Android Central App

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
-IMO the speech control is not up to par with Siri

In what way? Is it not recognizing your voice or misinterpreting your words?

-Camera, is laking a bit. especially since I just came from a s4, by far the s4 has the best camera from any smartphone ive used.

Really? It's better than the iPhone 5?

-Not so sure about the Snap NFC stickers

What do you not like about them?

-Twist to take pic, I know I can fire up the camera on my iphone quicker than me twisting my wrist twice to fire up the X's camera.

From the lockscreen, probably. But within apps or when using the phone, I figured the X would be faster to launch the camera.

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
From the lockscreen, probably. But within apps or when using the phone, I figured the X would be faster to launch the camera.
From pocket to picture, there's no way the iPhone is faster, or anything else for that matter. I have my camera app on my homescreen and I couldn't launch it as fast as I could with the Moto X. Not even if you're Billy the Kid.