Moto X is overrated!!

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I don't know if anyone has gotten the Moto X always on voice to work with AutoVoice yet, but once they do I think it will be the differentiator between voice recognition on the Moto X and Siri. It's already what makes voice commands on Android better. It allows you to either use the Google Now features or add your own. I'm not aware of a way to add or overwrite any of the commands in Siri.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm also not aware of siri outperforming Google now. Maybe it's been updated, I'll ask my sister to test with me again. The one vs the x is tough because they're hitting different philosophies. Glad you found something to make you happy!

Nexus. Through spacetime.

I'm with you. IMHO, Siri doesn't stand a chance against Google Now.

Siri doesnt outperform Google now even with iOS7 Siri.

search youtube with countless comparison where Google Now is faster and more accurate.

bearda

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Siri doesnt outperform Google now even with iOS7 Siri.

search youtube with countless comparison where Google Now is faster and more accurate.

The one place Siri outperforms Google Now (coming from a former iOS user) is voice-only commands. I keep harping on this to try to build some momentum behind getting Google to address it.

Try this: Pair a bluetooth headset and put your phone in your pocket. Try to send a text message with Google Now configured as your voice command provider. You can fill out the recipient, the message text, etc. Then you get a prompt to confirm sending. Via a button. On the screen, In your pocket.

Try the same thing with Siri and it asks you to confirm. By saying OK. Message sent, no physical interaction. I used to use this all the time when driving. It was easy to send a text message to my wife saying traffic sucked and I was going to be late, or the like.

Don't get me wrong, overall Google Now is better. Voice recognition, speed, etc. Apple has worked pretty hard to optimizing their workflow to make Siri useful in cases where Google Now isn't, though. There is a different focus during development, and it shows. Google Now is about the presentation of information in new and cool ways, and Siri is about streamlining interaction.

I will say that this is one of the places I really appreciate S Voice, Dragon Assistant, and the like. And Android's more open nature makes those apps possible in a way that doesn't happen on iOS. Still, there are definitely some lessons Google Now can learn from Siri.

Dezolis

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
All I know i have a One, IPhone 5 and X currently in my possession and google now on the X is the only one that can actually make out my mumbling. That extra voice processing chip is the real deal far as I'm concerned.

Tim_Katarn

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
The one place Siri outperforms Google Now (coming from a former iOS user) is voice-only commands. I keep harping on this to try to build some momentum behind getting Google to address it.

Try this: Pair a bluetooth headset and put your phone in your pocket. Try to send a text message with Google Now configured as your voice command provider. You can fill out the recipient, the message text, etc. Then you get a prompt to confirm sending. Via a button. On the screen, In your pocket.

Try the same thing with Siri and it asks you to confirm. By saying OK. Message sent, no physical interaction. I used to use this all the time when driving. It was easy to send a text message to my wife saying traffic sucked and I was going to be late, or the like.

Don't get me wrong, overall Google Now is better. Voice recognition, speed, etc. Apple has worked pretty hard to optimizing their workflow to make Siri useful in cases where Google Now isn't, though. There is a different focus during development, and it shows. Google Now is about the presentation of information in new and cool ways, and Siri is about streamlining interaction.

I will say that this is one of the places I really appreciate S Voice, Dragon Assistant, and the like. And Android's more open nature makes those apps possible in a way that doesn't happen on iOS. Still, there are definitely some lessons Google Now can learn from Siri.

I agree with this completely. I'd like to not have to hit my phone physically to send the text.

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I bought the X the day it came out, on Friday and today I returned it an exchange for the HTC One, So here's my issue.
"Ok Google Now" does not work as well as advertised, It is nothing like Siri which its trying to be.( you have to admit Siri works pretty well)

The Moto X is $250 16gig on 2 yr contract, the HTC One is $199 for 32 gig
the HTC has all around better specs, it has a bigger screen, and a better camera.
if your looking for active notifications like Moto X has
this app looks and mimics Moto X to the T- https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...greatbytes.activenotifications&token=mUp2pE4x
If your looking for the camera shake like Moto X- https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ioLogix.DroidShakeCamera&hl=en&token=RuUM-UU1

Here's your sign.

wamsille

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
It has been my experience that you have to give a phone more than 48 or 72 hours to determine if it is going to be a fit. I was just about sold on the Galaxy S4 Active until mine became messed up from water damage and the replacement suffered the same fate several days later. When a main selling point of the device fails, and you gave it ample time to be tested in real world conditions, then you could say "it wasn't for me" and be done with it.

I heavily debated going to the Moto X when it became available, but I literally had one day to make the choice and ended up going with the Lumia 1020. If I didn't go with the X it would have been the HTC One. Between those three phones I mentioned I can imagine most people would be happy with their purchase. I don't like all the thinks the Lumia does / does not do, but the same can be said for the X and One in my book. But overrated? The X? There is more going on under the hood than you know. And I'm just a WP fanboy. (not really)

maxman1

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Personally I've never seen siri out perform Google now. Interesting it was that way for you. HTC one is a dope phone though. I got it for my mom's. Still get tickled by how good that camera is in low light. Just hate sense and being forced to use blinkfeed

Posted via Android Central App

This. I personally find Google Now far more productive (though less "cutesy") than Siri with faster, more accurate, relevant results & not to mention the predictive functions. It is rapidly revolutionizing the smart phone.

Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk2

smallfrys

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Not trying to flame the OP, but unless the Google Now voice recognition is different on the Moto X than on other phones, I find Google Now's voice recognition to be vastly superior to Siri's. I have a pretty neutral accent, but it's even more noticeable for some of my foreign friends. Siri just cannot understand Indians, it would seem, whereas Google Now is far better with that accent. I'm not against iPhones, either. Had the original and 3GS, and since I love my MBA, wouldn't mind getting another one if they increased the screen sizes and I could get Voice working natively.

As far as Moto X vs. HTC One, I agree on that and personally prefer the One and am waiting for it to arrive. Active Notifications were cool, but I prefer not to get notified too often about things anyway, as it's distracting; and the only time I could see myself using touchless control is in the car. Otherwise, I already just use home button shortcut and the mic icon, as it looks about as douchey to say "Okay, Google Now" in public as wearing a Bluetooth headset. Still, I might get a Moto X just to try it out when Motomaker comes to Verizon, or in a future iteration that hopefully has 1080p.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I bought the X the day it came out, on Friday and today I returned it an exchange for the HTC One, So here's my issue.
"Ok Google Now" does not work as well as advertised, It is nothing like Siri which its trying to be.( you have to admit Siri works pretty well)

Siri works well if you need your phone to give pointless responses and you're lonely in need of a friend/laugh. But for ACTUAL real world usage, Siri is completely useless. When my Father In Law got his iPhone 4s and it was brand new, we all sat in the family room listening to him test it. Every time he asked a pointless question, Siri gave a very amusing, cutesy response. And we'd get a good laugh. When he asked for directions, or a phone number to a business, or for pizza delivery, or to tell him the weather it would either say it didn't understand the question, that he needed to try again later, or it would mess it up some other way.

I have two coworkers who told me they bought the 4s because of Siri, and when I ask them how often they use it, they agree with each other that they could count on one hand how many times they've used it since the first few times of messing around with it with friends. My point is, Siri is a joke. Steve Wozniak even said that Google Voice Actions worked better on his Droid Razr than Siri worked on his 4s. He also said he played with Siri back BEFORE Apple bought it from the company which created it, and he said Apple dumbed it down. (Apple's Siri Has Lost A Few Brain Cells: Woz - Forbes)

I'm not bashing your choice to return the X. The One is a great choice. But let's not pretend Siri is worth anything at all.

Jnorton2724

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
If you don't think its worth it don't buy it or consider it. Lots of people are interested and your opinions most likely won't stop them from purchasing the moto x. Let people get what they want while you get what you want with your money.

Sent from my HTC One

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I think every device is different and may not be a perfect fit for everyone, which is why OEMs produce various models. Personally, I see the Moto X as a great device and it would be a great fit for me. Glad to see the HTC One is ideal for you, it really is an awesome device.

jschu22

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Does everyone realize that this discussion is not about siri v Google now? Yeah, didn't think so.

Anyway, they both have their strengths and short comings. I find Google now to be great at what I use Google search or even Google maps for but siri to be better at actions I'd perform with a specific app, such as reminders and such. Google now cannot turn on and off bluetooth and doesn't read back, essentially requiring visual and/or physical interaction. Google's speech recognition is better to me, which is a big part of why I find certain aspects to be more accurate.

iOS 7 has definitely upped siri's functionality and I have my doubt's that those commenting here have as much time in with that as they have with Google now. I mean this is an Android forum after all. A perfect example is all the references to the 4S, a phone that came out almost 2 years ago.

That being said, I do feel as though Google now is noticeably more accurate and thus possibly more useful for most. Apple just has them on being more functional without physical interaction.

Posted via Android Central App

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site

Siri works better than Google Now?

There's a knee-slapper.

No one is admitting something as silly as that statement; Siri isn't in the same league as GNow.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylorhudson5670