Moto X is overrated!!

Rizz1-2

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Shortest answer: Prove it is better. I like being open minded.

Medium answer: The anecdotal claim is false. At least three other devices can do it out of the box. Additionally, my gnex doesn't require the display to be on. Using Tasker via AutoVoice Continous and a couple of other tweaks allows for just saying a keyword and it's working. This can be accomplished handily on any Android device running 4.1 or higher.

Either way, the energy utilized between swiping up from the home button and holding the home button down for a couple seconds is probably negligible and doesn't really support any claim of one being better in performance than the other.

What we're saying about Siri is not that it's objectively better or worse than GN, but that at the things that GN can do, some of which Siri can't do at all, it absolutely owns Siri. But Siri can do things that GN cannot do, so which one is better? This is why we ask, "better at what?"

Supporting Argument: If Siri handles the things you want to use voice commands to handle with more proficiency then that's great, for your use case. But one or many anecdotal doesn't change evidentiary conclusions, especially when the queries can be easily framed to subjectively support one opinion or the other based on use case. For example, any user who grew up on Jelly Bean and the progression of Google Now who tries to use Siri for the multitude of tasks they're used to Google performing for them, they're going to be frustrated. The exact converse is true, because the strengths of the platform become intrinsically patterned into the user's perspective of quality and efficiency.

There is a whole lot of winning in this post. You make a lot of good points.

Rizz1-2

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
No one on a Android forum is going to admit that anything that Apple does is better then Android. but Siri is better then Google Now.
For example any phone other than the Moto X you have to first turn on the phone to use Google Now, thats really dumb.

AND theres nothing wrong with letting a topic turn into something else, stop whining like a baby

Two things:

1. There have been a lot of times I have read on these very forums, members complimenting Apple products, and speaking of them more highly then some android products. Of course you will find fanboys but if you take a gander around you will see many of the members are pretty level headed and don't have issues praising a product if it deserves it, regardless of manufacturer or OS.

2. Are you saying you can use Siri without turning the iphone on? I am not familiar with the iphone but I have never seen anyone use it without hitting the home button.

jschu22

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
2. Are you saying you can use Siri without turning the iphone on? I am not familiar with the iphone but I have never seen anyone use it without hitting the home button.

No, you can't do that. What you can do is access siri by just holding down the home button. Yeah there are solutions similar to this on some android phones, most require and unlock. One could also make an argument that the button approach is favorable to the wake-up statement one. That's for the user to decide though.

Posted via Android Central App

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Why do some people make the argument that Siri is better because it's supposedly faster to access? So you long press the home button on an iPhone. I long press the home button on my S3 and then touch the G and it pulls up GNow. I assure you it's never caused me a problem to touch that one extra button, and it also has never taken hours to do so. I will take one extra button push and better results all day long over one less button and getting frustrated. All that means is I will get frustrated sooner with an iPhone cause Siri pops up faster. I don't see how that makes it a better "personal assistant".

I do like the argument that it depends wholly upon what your specific needs are. Google Now does what I need better than Siri ever has. So for me, Google Now takes it. Once again, I go back to my policy of thinking how fans of Apple would respond if an Android Product (Google Now) was created by them. I guarantee "Apple Now" would be the best thing ever created in the minds of the people who bash Google Now.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Ok so the app is not the exact same thing but it does work.
the good thing about android is there is CHOICE and if I don't like a phone there is another one out there that I can, choose from.
I don't like the fact that Ok Google now turns on your phone and leaves it on so if it is in your pocket you have the potential to start pressing buttons without knowing it. I'm not a Android fan boy but I do like Android. It is not as good as Siri, that said Siri has had awhile to get better and I'm sure OK Google Now will get there to.

Seems like you haven't actually used Google Now. I'll post this again, and remember that since this video was made Now has had some major improvements while Siri has only had some minor updates. Here it is.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Advantages of Siri:
A good conversationalist

Advantages of Google Now:
Better at providing information
Actually understands what you're saying

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Advantages of Siri:
A good conversationalist

Advantages of Google Now:
Better at providing information
Actually understands what you're saying

There's an awesome app called Assistant. Right now she's so glitchy, but i can't wait til they work her out. And hopefully at some point have a 50% off sale, cuz she is so expensive. But she has conversation and uses google now. But then she gets creepy and pipes up asking you random s--t. lol. Super freaky. She even asks to learn your habits. wild, man.

okay, that was random, but that being said, google now is the bomb. I've seen a number of videos, google now always always always more useful.

jschu22

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Once again, I go back to my policy of thinking how fans of Apple would respond if an Android Product (Google Now) was created by them. I guarantee "Apple Now" would be the best thing ever created in the minds of the people who bash Google Now.

Because "fans of" android aren't capable of this behavior.

Every single thread where an apple product comes up has to degrade to comments like this or worse. I know this happens on apple on forums as well and its equally frustrating.

Matt-Helm

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
If you ask GN "Whats the weather today" it'll tell you. If you THEN say "How about tomorrow" it already knows you're talking about the weather and it'll tell you tomorrow's weather.

Try that with siri ;)

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Things that are overrated in 2013

Smart Watches because you are too lazy to take your phone out of your pocket.
Google Glasses because nobody trusts you.
Specs on any device because your programs were not designed with heavy multithreading in mind.(not counting gaming).
Cloud Computing cause we don't have reception or internet everywhere.
Micro SD Slots because they fail and are slow.
Removable Batteries because we are too lazy to remove them anyways.
Wireless Charging because the charging mat still has to be hooked to a wire.
Super High PPI screens because you really can't tell the difference at some point and you are tricking yourself otherwise.

So until a smartphone can beam me up to the Enterprise, I am not going to be happy with anything.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site

Specs on any device because your programs were not designed with heavy multithreading in mind.(not counting gaming).
Super High PPI screens because you really can't tell the difference at some point and you are tricking yourself otherwise.

So until a smartphone can beam me up to the Enterprise, I am not going to be happy with anything.

Are you telling me the moto x does not teleport?! wtf!

Strawdawg

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site

Not a bad list

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

My revised list:
Specs
Micro SD Slots
Removable Batteries
Super High PPI screens

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Because "fans of" android aren't capable of this behavior.

Every single thread where an apple product comes up has to degrade to comments like this or worse. I know this happens on apple on forums as well and its equally frustrating.

It would be an exaggeration to say "every single thread". I've read many threads on here that complimented and even coveted the superior build quality of the iPhone. People see what they want to see, and when they want to get offended they look for it. I never said Android fans weren't capable of this behavior. But you want to demonize someone because they didn't meet your expectations of how they should have or could have worded a sentence to make a point. Instead of reading your agenda into what I posted, maybe take it at face value and assume that i've had experiences in my life that validate my opinion. You may not have, but that's not my responsibility or fault.

I also said "the people who bash Google Now". I've heard a lot of Android fans say that they hated Google Now and wish it was like Siri. You took it as me saying Fans of Apple are the only ones who might respond this way. That's because you read it through the eyes of someone who wanted to see it that way. Funny how that works......

snookasnoo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Personally I've never seen siri out perform Google now. Interesting it was that way for you. HTC one is a dope phone though. I got it for my mom's. Still get tickled by how good that camera is in low light. Just hate sense and being forced to use blinkfeed

Siri and Google Now are not directly comparable. Siri does search and also controls the phone and apps. iOS also has Google Now as well.
Aren't most of the features of the X available on all Android phones now? I'm not overly impressed with the build quality of the X and especially the screen. Mid-range specs are ok for now but they should have done better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci