Worth the switch?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Pros of one are not necessarily cons of the other.

S4 pros: Larger screen, higher resolution, removable battery, removable storage, s-features (voice, etc), high build quality

X pros: Faster and smoother experience, closer to stock look/feel of software, better battery life (per charge, but not removable) more compact device (reviewed as feeling great), active notifications, touchless controls, customization options, high build quality, assembled in the US

Generally this list comes off to me as being mostly superficial versatility versus optimization. Many of the pros and cons are aesthetic and totally subjective, but the most obvious variances are the size and whether you want removable anything. If you want a bigger phone, the S4 is obvious. If you require removable battery or storage for your usage, then the Moto X will not work out well.

If you want the latest greatest of Android, in terms of optimization and design philosophy it's probably the Moto X. Specs-wise the G2 is probably the best thing coming out very near term... at least until a couple weeks when the Note 3 shed's it's curtain and a few weeks after that the optimization and design philosophy both get shaken up when we're talking Nexus reboot.

Of the S4 and Moto X I would probably prefer the Moto X because I appreciate directionally where the efficiency and optimization are going. They're using what many are mislabeling as lesser specs to achieve better performance and that's great for this OS. That being said, S4 owners are saying that their devices are running faster and smoother than ever with a recent update and it's probably one of the top 5 devices released so far this year.

For your case, being that you're already on one of the best, I'd say if it's going to cost your money it's not worth it. You're not going to see a drastically obvious performance improvement. The only way I would say go for it is if you're A: Unhappy with your current device and B: Really in love with a feature or aspect of the sought after device. Top 5 to top 5 device, even if it's 5th to 1st, smacks of side-grade generally.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Battery better and you may prefer the IMO useful features of moto X to add more value then the S4 gimmicks.

- - - Updated - - -

Battery better and you may prefer the IMO useful features of moto X to add more value then the S4 gimmicks.

TechTinker

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Pros of one are not necessarily cons of the other.

S4 pros: Larger screen, higher resolution, removable battery, removable storage, s-features (voice, etc), high build quality

Did you call S-voice good? Haha. And high build quality? What are you smoking. I mean yes it's built well, but its still cheap.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Did you call S-voice good? Haha. And high build quality? What are you smoking. I mean yes it's built well, but its still cheap.

I mean build quality, not necessarily build material choices. We're not seeing a lot of complains about antennas or gaps, etc. Other than the screen cracking issue. But since we're not talking aluminum vs plastic, and having that argument, it's really the soft touch mesh plastic vs shiny plastic for materials.

And S-Voice and all the S-Features, including jedi gestures, etc. some people like. For those that like them, they're a plus.

Camera is way better on the S4.

Hasn't been mentioned yet, but it is worth saying.

Good point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Junkie XL