Just can't pull the trigger on Verizon 16 GB

jimbo1mcm

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
Wouldn't mind trying the Moto X, but without a Micro SD, I would really want at least a 32 GB model. It would also be nice to try the Moto Maker. Verizon really seems to have some strange practices. Waiting this long on the HTC One, to the advantage of the S4, really, really put HTC at a disadvantage. Wonder what kind of leverage ATT used to get MotoMaker and 32 GB as an exclusive?

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
The leverage was a lot of cash in exchange for the right to exclusivity of moto maker and the 32gb. I think people could overlook the moto maker exclusive if the 32gb had been offered across the board. I wouldn't bother paying the premium price they want for this phone when they only offer 16gb of storage. You can get a 16gb N4 for 50 bucks more than the X costs with a 2 year contract. Yes the X has LTE and the new Google now features but are those features really worth 400 bucks? Not to mention you will be locked down to the carrier.

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
The leverage was a lot of cash in exchange for the right to exclusivity of moto maker and the 32gb. I think people could overlook the moto maker exclusive if the 32gb had been offered across the board. I wouldn't bother paying the premium price they want for this phone when they only offer 16gb of storage. You can get a 16gb N4 for 50 bucks more than the X costs with a 2 year contract. Yes the X has LTE and the new Google now features but are those features really worth 400 bucks? Not to mention you will be locked down to the carrier.

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

He may be already locked down to Verizon. No N4, if he is.

MarqBland

Oct 13, 2009
www.facebook.com
Although I'm not on Vz, I echo the sentiment of the OP. I can do away with the microsd card. I was fine with skipping the customization (not really). But I need at least 32gb to feel comfortable. One of the big reasons is that I'm on Sprint and a mostly cloud-based solution won't work. Haha. Exclusivity when it comes to storage capacity is ridiculous on part of the manufacturer.

I can see with this new way of a customized phone starting off slowly with one carrier, but there's no excuse for exclusivity to the storage capacity.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I would need at least a 64gb option, since moto decided no microSD slot

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II via Tapatalk 4

tonymhoffman

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
The leverage was a lot of cash in exchange for the right to exclusivity of moto maker and the 32gb. I think people could overlook the moto maker exclusive if the 32gb had been offered across the board.

How often do we really see that? The HTC One had an exclusive size offering with att&t didn't it? Granted it was 64gigs and 32 was standard If I'm not mistaken.

Google really pushes the cloud with their phones. I don't expect above a 32 offering for nexus 5 either.

I got an awesome SD card reader from kick starter that should be showing up any day. Plugs into micro usb. So I'm not sweating the card slot ;)

Posted via Android Central App

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
It seems to me like the 32GB internal storage option is not super popular. That may be why we don't see it so much. People either get enough storage with 16GB and cloud, or they need 64GB. 32GB seems to fall in no-man's land where it's only people with relatively small music collections who don't want to stream or the desire to play very graphic intensive games who would use the extra space. Apps and texts don't require anywhere near that much and I can fit all of the pictures I've taken on all my phones since 2008 in under 3GB. Cloud services will store pictures well and there isn't a huge desire to access them at times when WiFi or mobile data isn't present like there is with music and movies.

I could be off, but it would explain why 16GB internal storage has stuck around for what seems like way too long. Not enough people want 32GB to justify the extra $10 it costs OEM's and they really can't justify taking a $40-$50 hit (or whatever it is) to put 64GB in there.

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
How often do we really see that? The HTC One had an exclusive size offering with att&t didn't it? Granted it was 64gigs and 32 was standard If I'm not mistaken.

Google really pushes the cloud with their phones. I don't expect above a 32 offering for nexus 5 either.

I got an awesome SD card reader from kick starter that should be showing up any day. Plugs into micro usb. So I'm not sweating the card slot ;)

I have a feeling the N5 may max out at 16gb like the N4 did. If they do only offer 16gb they will say it was to help keep costs down.

bearda

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
32G storage isn't popular for most phone buyers. I can guarantee AC doesn't make up most phone buyers, though. If most consumers don't opt for more storage (even if most of the users here do) it doesn't make sense for them to offer it.

I was hoping the Nexus 4 would be a little different since it's not exactly a mainstream device, but I think the low price kind of dictated minimal storage.

Mark_Venture

Oct 30, 2009
mark.cdmaforums.com
It seems to me like the 32GB internal storage option is not super popular. That may be why we don't see it so much. ...
But its often that the phones come out first with the lower storage at launch, so when the big rush for the device happens, only the 16gig is available. Then when the 32gig comes out everyone already had purchased (and locked into contract) the 16gig..

Take the Galaxy S4 as an example. How long was the 32 gig an ATT Exclusive before the 32 gig was available from Verizon? Any one on Verizon who wanted the S4 got the 16 gig because there was no indication initially that Verizon would have the 32gig.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
But its often that the phones come out first with the lower storage at launch, so when the big rush for the device happens, only the 16gig is available. Then when the 32gig comes out everyone already had purchased (and locked into contract) the 16gig..

Take the Galaxy S4 as an example. How long was the 32 gig an ATT Exclusive before the 32 gig was available from Verizon? Any one on Verizon who wanted the S4 got the 16 gig because there was no indication initially that Verizon would have the 32gig.
But why do they do it that way? The difference in price to them is probably around $10, but they charge $50 more. If they could do that from the start they would. My guess is that they can't because not enough people would buy them. A large enough chunk of the people buying the phones might not care and won't spend extra money for the storage, which would lead them to making the decision to start only with the 16GB version.

bearda

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
But why do they do it that way? The difference in price to them is probably around $10, but they charge $50 more. If they could do that from the start they would. My guess is that they can't because not enough people would buy them. A large enough chunk of the people buying the phones might not care and won't spend extra money for the storage, which would lead them to making the decision to start only with the 16GB version.

A lot of it is logistics, especially if a device is production constrained at first. Why should I buy 10% 32G model if I'm not sure I can move them easily, when I know 16G models will fly off the shelves? If I can only get 100K units at launch I'd rather have them be units I know people will buy, rather than having a few gathering dust. Overall I think you're right; even with the lure of the extra profit margin a lot of people would balk at paying an extra $50 and get something else. People are cheap, especially with upfront costs.

Part of it is to judge demand. If the S4 ended up being a major flop chances are Verizon would have never started selling 32G models.

maggard5

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
i dunno, $140 for 16gb doesn't sound bad. i got it for that much on VZW this morning with discount codes.

Same here. Couldn't pass it up at this price

Plus I have a droid x2 to get a $100 gift card through the Motorola trade up offer. Basically got the phone for $40.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

bp3dots

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
Although I'm not on Vz, I echo the sentiment of the OP. I can do away with the microsd card. I was fine with skipping the customization (not really). But I need at least 32gb to feel comfortable. One of the big reasons is that I'm on Sprint and a mostly cloud-based solution won't work. Haha. Exclusivity when it comes to storage capacity is ridiculous on part of the manufacturer.

I can see with this new way of a customized phone starting off slowly with one carrier, but there's no excuse for exclusivity to the storage capacity.

Exactly why I went back to VZW after being on sprint for a while. The savings wasn't worth the sacrifice in useability. Now, 16GB is ok for me.

Though, I may get a custom colored 32 when motomaker opens just for kicks lol.

Now if only the FedEx guy would get here...

mkreef

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
Will Verizon eventually get the 32GB version? I thought I read somewhere that even though they will get Moto Maker later this fall, they will only offer a 16GB version?

Holding out for a 32GB customized Moto X from Verizon...

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Will Verizon eventually get the 32GB version? I thought I read somewhere that even though they will get Moto Maker later this fall, they will only offer a 16GB version?

Holding out for a 32GB customized Moto X from Verizon...

The customer chat person I talked to said they had no plans for a 32GB. They said that about the S4 though as well, and well... I think that just means, "it won't be on the website today". It's hard to tell, but the assumption seems to be that 32GB is an option of Moto Maker and Verizon will get it then, but I think we're all guessing.

snookasnoo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Verizon REALLY wants phones to have as little storage space as possible so you will use more data.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol