Thinking of trading my S4 for the X, help

steveh552

Trusted Member
Mar 6, 2010
Visit site
So I have never been a huge fan of Samsung but I have had the S4 since launch and have lived with it. I have been looking at the X since announcement and was wondering what the real world thought of this device.
Things of importance are:
1. Bat life
2. How well it holds signal
3. How well it performs, seems my S4 freezes up on certain apps
4. Camera (I know it cant beat the S4)

If I get it, I would have to trade my S4 in and wont have another phone to use so I will be having to get one from an ATT store.
Let me know your thoughts.

thegrants82

Banned
May 8, 2013
Visit site
If your unsure just wait a week or so because now that Verizon is shipping there will be a huge influx of user reviews coming out. I had a GS4 and I don't blame you but you are right about the camera, I'm sure that beats the Moto's camera by a mile. I can tell you that I had a new Maxx for a week and in my opinion it took great pictures. Not GS4 quality though.
So I have never been a huge fan of Samsung but I have had the S4 since launch and have lived with it. I have been looking at the X since announcement and was wondering what the real world thought of this device.
1. Bat life

If I get it, I would have to trade my S4 in and wont have another phone to use so I will be having to get one from an ATT store.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
The X is getting good reviews and if you don't care about the S4's tight ppi, larger screen, removable/replaceable battery, or expandible storage you could really enjoy the X. To me going to the X seems like a downgrade or, at best, a nearly lateral move but that's just my opinion. Keep thinking about it.

Sent from my humble Note 8.0 LTE

edgefever

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
The X is getting good reviews and if you don't care about the S4's tight ppi, larger screen, removable/replaceable battery, or expandible storage you could really enjoy the X. To me going to the X seems like a downgrade or, at best, a nearly lateral move but that's just my opinion. Keep thinking about it.

Right on

CellGuy

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
Or you could say...if you want a better form factor,stock android, no physical buttons, better non gimmicky features, better battery - then the X is the better device for you. See how you can spin it any way you want.

Posted via Android Central App

Gdwheel

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
1. Bat life

I have both and would say the following:

1. I get better battery life with my S4, although both are good. It really depends on how you set up and use the phones.
2. Again, side by side I get better signal consistently on my S4, although the differences are 3-5 db.
3. Moto X is much smoother and quicker doing just about everything. I notice the most lag on my S4 when opening email, messaging, etc. The Moto is very quick and smooth.
4. I cannot really comment on the camera beyond what I have seen in the reviews and here. I have not taken photos with them side by side to compare.

I find myself using the S4 more than the Moto X and may take the Moto X back. It is not bad, though and it depends on what is important to you.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Or you could say...if you want a better form factor,stock android, no physical buttons, better non gimmicky features, better battery - then the X is the better device for you. See how you can spin it any way you want.

No physical buttons? I didn't notice that. How do you turn it on or adjust the volume?

Joe the Insider

Trusted Member
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I traded my HTC One in for the X. The S4 seemed buggy and I just wanted stock back. Too many gimmicky features, where as the X has realistic features. So there ya go, The S4 and One was over taken by the X.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site

For me (and most GS4 users) those are the reasons we got them. The only reason I returned my GS4 was to get the GN3 which is due to be announced in 5 days or so. So really it was a timing thing. The GS4 is a solid performer and something you won't regret in 2 years.

roadkizzle

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
For me (and most GS4 users) those are the reasons we got them. The only reason I returned my GS4 was to get the GN3 which is due to be announced in 5 days or so. So really it was a timing thing. The GS4 is a solid performer and something you won't regret in 2 years.

That's what people said about the GS2. I regretted it the next day. I really don't care for Samsung's design decisions and I have always felt the idea to throw everything at the wall and hope that it'll turn out good doesn't make for a good device.

That said, I understand that MANY people love their samsung phones, it just never feels to be comfortable design to me.

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
I'd definitely do it. Went from s4 to the one and now to the X. Dont regret it one bit.

SteveISU

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Camera is about the only thing the S4 has over the X. Sh!twiz makes you forget about the good in the phone, there in lies the problem.

steveh552

Trusted Member
Mar 6, 2010
Visit site
I am going to go to the att store and take a look at it. Iv been watching it for awhile and it's peaked my interest

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 4

whtchdr

May 23, 2013
Visit site
I gave up my S4 and HTC One for the Moto X. Love the size, one of the only large screen phones easy to use with one hand. Blazing fast and has great battery life.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk 4

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

steveh552

Trusted Member
Mar 6, 2010
Visit site
I did the trade today. The x is faster, had a few apps on the 4 that would freeze often, so far they all run smoothly on the x. Obviously I have more testing to do. The display is good, signal holds better and more free space.

The att store had both 32 and 16 gig devices in stock, I got the 16 only because I wanted black and they only had white.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk 4