Verizon Moto X - Will it work in Europe

nemov

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
I haven't been able to get a straight answer on this question. Does the Verizon version include a GSM radio that will work abroad? The product website doesn't really answer the question.

Thanks

grenefroggie

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
http://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_moto_x-5601.php

Typically on GSMArena, they have a different page for every version. The Moto X has only one, but it breaks down frequency support by carrier. It would seem that the phone has support for GSM 850/900/1800/1900, HSDPA 850/900/1900/2100, LTE 700Mhz Class 13 for VZW only.

I would assume if the phone is not SIM locked to VZW, then yes, put of box it would be a world phone. I am assuming that it is SIM locked so unless you buy it at MSRP, you will either have to pay VZW a fee or another company a fee to unlock the SIM.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4

roblem

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
Short answer: it works.

Have a stock Verizon Moto X that has not been sim unlocked or modified in any way. I can confirm it works fine with my provider in Spain (movistar) with a few caveats. When leaving wifi it takes awhile to get on the mobile data network (for the impatient, just put it into and out of airplane mode). The other minor quibble is that the frequencies chosen for the data and voice networks give me a lower signal strength than I used to get on my Nexus 4. This occurs on the global and LTE/GSM options under Mobile Networks. It all works though and I have never experienced dropped calls or data.

bill77056

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Moto X activated on VZW in Houston, TX 18-months ago. No rooting/unlocking, it is as delivered.

Today VZW manager at local store advised:
1) the Moto X is already unlocked-it was delivered unlocked
2) the sim card is neither locked or unlocked -
3) the vzw sim will only work on vzw network (which is the same with any sim)
4) most nano size sim from local network will work in many countries - including all of Europe
5) showed me how to remove the sim. Motorola tool not needed. A paper clip will work.

I will see how this works next week in Switzerland.

Bill

benhaube

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Yes the Verizon version of the Moto X is Sim unlocked. It can be used with any GSM or CDMA carrier. With the latest update people are reporting perfect operation on ATT and t mobile as well

Glenn Nelson

May 26, 2013
Visit site
I just called Verizon and asked about travelling in Europe with Moto X. I was told that since it is a world phone, I will be able to make and receive phone calls and text messages with my existing USA SIM. Is this true? The phone rate is $1.29 per minute; send text is 50 cents, receive text is 5 cents. These rates are fine for the limited use that I anticipate.

But really, Verizon SIM and GSM radio in Europe? Please tell me this is true!

cpcxgsr

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
If the moto x is truly a "world phone", then yes. You can take it overseas and use it as per roaming rates. If you don't mind paying it, then it will not be an issue..

For me while I was on vzw's blackberry "world phone" (I forget the model #), I was able to make calls and etc while I was in h
Hong Kong. But I'd be foolish to pay the ridiculous roaming charge per use. Vzw then tried to sell me on a "world" plan... Which I denied... It was still over priced.

Where as I simply asked if they could unlock my phone so that I could use a local prepaid card... They did and I didn't have to pay for vzws ridiculous rates...

But I needed to make sure I had to switch networks while on the new sim though.. Otherwise I'd be on vzw's network and be charged their pricing.

Posted via Android Central App

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Interesting that Verizon is more generous that was than Sprint. The Sprint one comes locked, and I think even if you get it unlocked for foreign use, it doesn't work on AT&T or T-Mobile. (although I haven't checked that.) I did ask Sprint to unlock it, though, and it worked flawlessly in the UK with 3G speeds. No lag moving in and out of Wifi, really, no problems at all. I was a happy puppy.

And when I brought it back the the US, it still worked fine on Sprint (at 3G) without swapping the SIM back, since the SIM is only used for 4G in the US.

I did have to update the settings so it knew to look at the new SIM, but that's automatic, you just click the "update" button in the settings.

bill77056

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Newbie Experience Installing Swiss Nano SIM in VZW Moto X

On a recent visit to Switzerland, the Moto X’s VZW SIM was replaced with a SIM from ORANGE, a telecom similar to Verizon. It was an easy transformation My lack of experience did cause issues discussed below.

Actions:

1. Orange rep quickly replaced the Verizon SIM. New SIM was setup with 10 CHF credit. This included 1 G data. Later an Orange text received on the Moto G advised that the account was credited with 25 CHF. No reason given for having 25 CHF credit.
2. Rep checked the unit. Stated it was UNLOCKED and working.
3. Rep placed the VZW SIM in the new SIM’s envelop card and returned it to me.
4. Later a friend called the new telephone number assigned; the test was successful. His number was added to the address book.
5. The following day, the Moto X/Google navigation was successfully used several times to guide us to various points of interest – both walking and driving. This was worth the 10 CHF.
6. The Moto X was Power Off to save the battery.
7. When the Moto X was powered up later, a message box requested the PIN for the SIM. The phone was at this time locked. The SIM’s PIN was not known to me.
8. Another trip to the Orange store solved the PIN problem. The Moto X was now active. Google navigation was used several times without issue.
9. Later an attempt to call a local number was unsuccessful. The message was that the number was not registered. I’m assuming the non-registered number was the new Moto X’s number not the other local number. This issue was never resolved. The Moto X’s data was active and making local calls not that important.

What I Should Have Done In the Orange Store Initially After Receiving the New SIM:
1. Powered Down/then Powered Up the Moto X. This would have FAILED.
2. Initiated a local call. This would have FAILED
3. Initiated a Google navigation. This would have been SUCCESSFUL.

The PIN issue and the non-registered number issue would have been resolved with the Rep. I would have been advised that the SIM’s PIN was printed in the envelop card now containing the VZW SIM.

Finally, reinstalling the VZW SIM after returning home was uneventful. The Moto X was hot without having to enter a PIN

Last edited: