Compared to the Galaxy Nexus...

D4rkShaDoWz

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I know this might sound like a stupid question, but hear me out.

I currently own a Galaxy Nexus on Verizon. As of last week, I am due for an upgrade. I am interested in the Moto X mainly because of the size and battery life so I've been browsing the forums trying to find out which device I should upgrade to. Here are some questions I have:

1. Compared to the Galaxy Nexus, how is the camera quality? I've heard mixed things in this department, but if the sensor in the Moto X is better than what I have now, I'll take it.
  2. How is the battery life on the Verizon model? I know people have been reporting good battery life on the AT&T models but I know LTE modems can suck the life out of Verizon phones (like the GNexus).
  3. I don't really do much but take pictures and browse the web. I need good battery life as I commute to school during the week. Is this phone good enough for my needs? I was also looking into the HTC One but I just hate not using a relatively stock Android phone. I know this is the absolute wrong place for this, but for someone in my situation, would it make sense to look into the iPhone 5S? Great camera and battery life is important but I don't know about dealing with iOS 7.

This topic is mainly for users who are in my situation (coming off a two-year contract) and looking to upgrade. If you own a Galaxy Nexus on any carrier, please feel free to chime in!

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I used to own a Verizon GNex. I'm 100% sure from what I've read that this is an all around step up. Better battery life, camera, everything. If you're still weighing the One, there will surely be GPe roms available for it on Verizon really soon if not already. The camera will be better than the X, but battery life not.

goldkear

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm in the exact same situation, but I've made the decision to buy the x once Verizon gets motomaker. I don't like how giant the one and s4 are, and I prefer a more stock android anyways. Camera isn't a big deal for me, and that seems to be the main complaint from reviews. I'm sure the battery life is great, and the phone is definitely faster. My frequent ROM flashing has done a number on my phone's memory, so I hope motomaker comes soon!

These are just my thoughts and opinions, but I hope you find them useful.

Posted via Android Central App

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
I just got my VZW Moto this morning so too soon to tell on the battery life. But I can tell you that the reception is WAY stronger than my Nexus. The Nexus was at -93 dBm 2 asu while my Moto X is sitting at -116 dBm 24 asu. That should help significantly with battery life, IMO.

The camera is definitely better than the Gnex but it does need some tweaking via an update. I'm confident one will come soon enough. Here are a few pics I snapped for you. Three are indoor; one outdoor. The cat was using HDR with severe backlighting; the others were without HDR.

Last edited:

roadrat

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
Agreed it's better with one exception... You can't switch to CDMA only. 4G coverage is not yet great and it sucks battery

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk 4

phositadc

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I just got my VZW Moto this morning so too soon to tell on the battery life. But I can tell you that the reception is WAY stronger than my Nexus. The Nexus was at -93 dBm 2 asu while my Moto X is sitting at -116 dBm 24 asu. That should help significantly with battery life, IMO.

ROFLMAO! You don't know how signal strength works, do you? -93 is a much better strength than -116. The closer to 0, the stronger the signal. So if what you said above is true, the gnex had the much better signal, bro, not the moto.

-Sent from my Droid Mini.-

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
ROFLMAO! You don't know how signal strength works, do you? -93 is a much better strength than -116. The closer to 0, the stronger the signal. So if what you said above is true, the gnex had the much better signal, bro, not the moto.

I know the dBms are farther from zero but from what I understand, the closer to 50 the asu is, the better the strength.

phositadc

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I know the dBms are farther from zero but from what I understand, the closer to 50 the asu is, the better the strength.

And you said the nexus was -93 while the moto was -116. -93 is a much better signal than -116. Sorry.

Edit: oh I see you are taking about asu. Don't know much about that but I'm still nearly certain the -93 is better than the -116 even with the asu difference.

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
And you said the nexus was -93 while the moto was -116. -93 is a much better signal than -116. Sorry.

Strange, then, since my son's S4 is similar to the Moto. We get much better speeds than the GNex did, too. I couldn't even HOLD a 4G signal at my house but both his S4 and the X have no problem with it. Personally, I think the Galaxy Nexus is cursed. His sucked with signal strength as did mine and two friends of ours who had that turd.

phositadc

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Strange, then, since my son's S4 is similar to the Moto. We get much better speeds than the GNex did, too. I couldn't even HOLD a 4G signal at my house but both his S4 and the X have no problem with it.

Moto is known for good radios, so I don't really know what's going on. All I know is that -93 vs -116 is a huge difference that would appear to favor the gnex.

D4rkShaDoWz

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Moto X is is in every way better than Galaxy nexus

This is great to hear! I know pretty much any phone would be better than the Galaxy Nexus but I wanted to double check and make sure the camera wasn't as horrible as the Moto X.

The camera is definitely better than the Gnex but it does need some tweaking via an update. I'm confident one will come soon enough. Here are a few pics I snapped for you. Three are indoor; one outdoor. The cat was using HDR with severe backlighting; the others were without HDR.

Congrats on the purchase! The reception issue with the GN was horrible so hearing that this phone has better service is a huge relief. Hopefully, better reception will result in better battery life. Only time will tell.

Those camera pictures look more than adequate for my needs, especially since I'll only be taking shots of my cat. I would love to think that the quality could be even a little fixed with an update but I'm not holding my breath.

I would love a comparison shot between a Galaxy Nexus and a Moto X, although it would probably be a slaughter between the two.

I just tested and confirmed this app takes care of that for you. LTE On/Off

This was one area I was worried but knowing that this works is a relief. I rarely take my Nexus off 3G since the battery life is so bad, hopefully on 3G the Moto X will be even better!

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
The reception issue with the GN was horrible so hearing that this phone has better service is a huge relief. Hopefully, better reception will result in better battery life. Only time will tell.

I rarely take my Nexus off 3G since the battery life is so bad, hopefully on 3G the Moto X will be even better!

I'm with you 100%. That was my experience with the Galaxy Nexus as well.

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Moto is known for good radios, so I don't really know what's going on. All I know is that -93 vs -116 is a huge difference that would appear to favor the gnex.

So I did a little more browsing and while lower dBms are better, higher ASU is better. So it would seem that the Nexus certainly had something messed up with its ratio. I won't be in the office until Wednesday but will be curious to see how the X does there as the Nexus would routinely lose ALL signals, even though I am in a super-heavy LTE area and sit near the windows of the building. There are a few other "blind spots" the Nexus had problems with and I can't wait to see how it does in those areas, too.

phositadc

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
So I did a little more browsing and while lower dBms are better, higher ASU is better. So it would seem that the Nexus certainly had something messed up with its ratio. I won't be in the office until Wednesday but will be curious to see how the X does there as the Nexus would routinely lose ALL signals, even though I am in a super-heavy LTE area and sit near the windows of the building. There are a few other "blind spots" the Nexus had problems with and I can't wait to see how it does in those areas, too.

Cool keep us posted.

jameskk1

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
can someone with the Verizon model tell me if it has the Caller Name ID app loaded?? My new Droid Maxx has it and believe it or not I really like the app.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
batsam