I love this phone!

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Would it be "more perfect" with more ppi or 1080p?

Probably not, it'd hurt battery life for very little difference in user perception. Both PPI ratings are over the 300 standard, so diminishing returns is heavily in force here.

Jetster220

Dec 8, 2009
Visit site
Ive had mine for a full day of use today, I am totally in love with this phone and everything about it. Voice actions work absolutely awesome, I am actually finding myself using them quite a bit simply because it works so easily, active notifications is great as well, seems like such a small thing but they are such a great feature. And, to put icing on the cake, at 15hrs off charger, 2hrs of screen on time, and Im sitting with 47% battery left. Awesome phone.

anon(11078)

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
My phone arrived this morning. I love this phone. It's quick. But very smooth. When using the default keyboard the letters seem to glide onto the surface.

The phone feels solid. It's definitely exceeded my expectations.

Battery life seems good. The more I use it the more impressed I am. Usually I start to notice some of the things that bother me about a phone by now.

Posted via Android Central App

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
I love it too, and to be honest somewhat unexpectedly so. I thought it was overhyped and the only reason it seemed more attractive was the less bloated version of Android, whereas hardware wise the One and S4 seemed better in every way. Well I end up prefering the Moto X in all but two (unfortunately pretty crucial, to me anyways) ways:

1) AT&T and Moto ganged up to disable free tethering on this particular device for users with a grandfathered unlimited plan like me. So even though I only use about 2 GB in an average month and pay for unlimited, I can't use my ~200 MB of tethered data? That's fascist.

2) The speaker points to the whole world but not me, and I can't even redirect the sound waves by forming a cup around the phone with my hand. I don't find this particularly constructive, given that I'm the one using the phone, and typically do so while looking at the screen. Voice calls on speaker phone with it are a pain compared to the smart front-facing design of the HTC One.

So while I prefer everything else about the Moto X over other phones, these two things will make me probably move to an HTC One with the Modaco switch. I look forward to the days where carriers stop charging extra for tethering, and where phone makers realize that the person using a phone tends to look at its display while doing so.
Our carriers have never charged separately for tethering. You guys are pretty much living in the past.

Posted via my awesome rooted Nexus 4 and Android Central App)

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
You must have used a lot of data. I use very little, only about 200 MB each month.

- - - Updated - - -

The paid or free version? The free version doesn't work for me -- it attempts to start the hotspot but then stops it.

I use the paid version, but the free works for me. If the free does not work, I would assume the paid version does not either. I had a GNex and paid for SVTP, when I switched to the Moto Razr HD SVTP paid version did not work. Went back to GNex .

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Our carriers have never charged separately for tethering. You guys are pretty much living in the past.

Who are "Our Carriers". I am on Verizon and Grandfathered with Unlimited Data. Tethering not included :(.

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
NZ. All GSM and all don't charge for tethering. Plus no double dipping either.

I test drove a N4 on TMobile, and alas was impressed with reception in and around my home and in the city, but when we went to our vacation home in Deltavill VA (I get a weak VZW signal) there was absolutely no signal for TMobile. I was rooting to go GSM but that killed it for me and my wife :( With VZW I can use my phone as a hotspot and work down there using SVTP Pro on my GNex, and stream music from Google Play. Sorry if this if off topic.....I would love to go GSM

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Who are "Our Carriers". I am on Verizon and Grandfathered with Unlimited Data. Tethering not included :(.

Tethering is included but....

As part of their agreement with the FCC they are not allowed to deny you tethering apps on your Android phone.

On ATT for example, Google play won't allow you to purchase FoxFi.

When they charge for tethering, they are charging you for the hotspot but not the ability as it is always on and unblocked.

Here is an article on tethering and I would hold onto that unlimited plan for as long as you can.

FCC to Verizon: Don?t block tethering apps. Verizon settles for $1.25M — Tech News and Analysis

quietlybrilliant

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I use the paid version, but the free works for me. If the free does not work, I would assume the paid version does not either. I had a GNex and paid for SVTP, when I switched to the Moto Razr HD SVTP paid version did not work. Went back to GNex .

But you are saying that now it works for you on the Moto X? On which carrier is your Moto X?

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
I test drove a N4 on TMobile, and alas was impressed with reception in and around my home and in the city, but when we went to our vacation home in Deltavill VA (I get a weak VZW signal) there was absolutely no signal for TMobile. I was rooting to go GSM but that killed it for me and my wife :( With VZW I can use my phone as a hotspot and work down there using SVTP Pro on my GNex, and stream music from Google Play. Sorry if this if off topic.....I would love to go GSM

I'm lucky all carriers here are GSM. We get coverage nearly everywhere.

roadrat

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
Used it for work for the first time today. More productivity than before. Signal compared to my GN is absolutely nothing short of incredible. Sable to get strong 4G where before my GN would barely get 1x. Love it love it love it

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Used it for work for the first time today. More productivity than before. Signal compared to my GN is absolutely nothing short of incredible. Sable to get strong 4G where before my GN would barely get 1x. Love it love it love it

Exact same experience for me! Love it!

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
:)

See? I wasn't full of s*it when i said I like it as much as the Nexus 4 :p

Ignore the haters here and elsewhere, and enjoy the hell out of what I think is the best Android phone available from any carrier.