Active Notifications on the X and Mini act differently because of the Mini's LCD screen. I posted a short video showing the difference: . I'm posting the same vid in the Mini forum and on XDA.
    08-31-2013 12:41 PM
    why does the mini have an LED and the X doesnt =(
    08-31-2013 12:48 PM
    The X doesn't need one

Sent from my XT1060
    Gamer_Radar likes this.
    08-31-2013 12:50 PM
    At around the 40 or 50 second mark I nudge the mini to show that the screen will light back up when it gets moved.

-Sent from my Droid Mini.-
    08-31-2013 12:51 PM
    why does the mini have an LED and the X doesnt =(
    Personally I wish the X had one too. Active notifications is great, but there is like 5 seconds between "breaths which is a long time to stare at the screen. I've got the mini LED blinking 3x that often, and it's easier to see out of peripheral vision too.

trandz likes this.
    08-31-2013 12:53 PM
    but there is like 5 seconds between "breaths which is a long time to stare at the screen.

What has this world become?
    jephanie likes this.
    08-31-2013 01:18 PM
    He's right though. It feels like a long time when you are waiting for it.

~ Sent from my Moto X ~
    08-31-2013 01:21 PM
    So....uhh....don't wait for it. Pick up your damn phone and do whatever it is you can't wait five seconds to do.
    Rocketsaucev2 and Gamer_Radar like this.
    08-31-2013 01:33 PM
    So....uhh....don't wait for it. Pick up your damn phone and do whatever it is you can't wait five seconds to do.
    Settle down there Poindexter. It's only an opinion, just because you don't agree doesn't mean that you need to flip out.

~ Sent from my Moto X ~
    08-31-2013 01:37 PM
    Lulz I'm not saying 5 seconds is a long time per se. I'm saying it is sufficiently long that if you just cast a quick glance at your phone, you are likely to miss it "breathe." At least for me, I'm much more likely to see the LED, both because of the increased frequency and the increased visibility (bright colors).

08-31-2013 01:43 PM
    Settle down there Poindexter. It's only an opinion, just because you don't agree doesn't mean that you need to flip out.

~ Sent from my Moto X ~
    Yeah, totally flipped out there. Someone hand me a bar of Xanax, I think I'm losing control....
    ki11ak3nn and jephanie like this.
    08-31-2013 01:46 PM
    Yeah, totally flipped out there. Someone hand me a bar of Xanax, I think I'm losing control....
    First step is always admitting that you have a problem. Good job.

~ Sent from my Moto X ~
    08-31-2013 01:48 PM
    Love this thread.....laughter is good for the soul! :-)
    08-31-2013 03:55 PM
    if you nudge the moto can you bring on the breath?
    08-31-2013 10:18 PM
    Yes. I was sitting in a recliner earlier today and had the phone on the arm of the chair. The rocking back and forth caused the phone to breathe.

Sent from my Moto X
    Paisley likes this.
    08-31-2013 10:30 PM
    In terms of this feature, isn't an amoled a better screen? since an lcd would have to turn on the entire screen, but an amoled just activates the necessary pixels. though I do like the LED on my gnex, I don't think I'll miss it too terribly much.

I'm curious what the tiny white flashing is at the top? I know cameras can sometimes pick up things the human eye cannot (point your remote at a camera for instance) so I assume its the proximity sensor or something, just interesting how it shows up.
    09-01-2013 02:26 AM
    Yep nudging or picking up either devices causes it to "breathe." But the X also perpetually breathes every 6 seconds or so while the Mini only breathes when notification initially arrives or if the device is moved, otherwise it's LED blinks.

Paisley likes this.
    09-01-2013 06:44 AM
    In terms of this feature, isn't an amoled a better screen? since an lcd would have to turn on the entire screen, but an amoled just activates the necessary pixels. though I do like the LED on my gnex, I don't think I'll miss it too terribly much.

I'm curious what the tiny white flashing is at the top? I know cameras can sometimes pick up things the human eye cannot (point your remote at a camera for instance) so I assume its the proximity sensor or something, just interesting how it shows up.
    AMOLED is better for the breathing screen, yes, that is why the Mini has the multi color LED--so it's screen doesn't have to turn on as much.

And yeah I think that other thing you see is the proximity sensor; it wasn't visible in person.

09-01-2013 06:47 AM