Moto X Dev Edition

hyminameisderek

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
What are your thoughts on whether the dev edition includes the camera shake, and more importantly, the active notifications?

I want the 32gb on Verizon and would prefer the easy to unlock boot loader and no Verizon bloat, but if the software is vanilla and doesn't include some of the cool X features, then I dunno.

I haven't seen anything on the forums on this. Anyone holding out for the Dev edition thought about this and if it well affect your purchase?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AC Forums mobile app

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I believe it's identical to the carrier version except for the bootloader. Not to be confused with GPe editions, that are stock-ish devices put on top of custom firmware. You should retain all features as advertised in the other Moto X devices.

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I believe it's identical to the carrier version except for the bootloader. Not to be confused with GPe editions, that are stock-ish devices put on top of custom firmware. You should retain all features as advertised in the other Moto X devices.

Do you think it would be realistic to assume that the developer edition could easily switch back between a standard rom and Google play edition rom?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Do you think it would be realistic to assume that the developer edition could easily switch back between a standard rom and Google play edition rom?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

If we're talking about a Verizon Developer edition, we'd need someone to port a CDMA capable version of the GPe firmware and create a flashable zip ROM out of it. After that, switching back and forth would require either dual recovery images that you boot between or a reflash each time. I'm not seeing a dual boot option that's realistically seamless unless someone specifically codes for it.

That being said, the Moto X software is close enough to stock that there might not be a need for it, unless you're trying to get immediate API level updates (ie KLP as soon as it's out)... then there is a little bit of a risk flashing between varying software level versions repeatedly. Aside from that, you're basically only changing the camera, active display and/or touchless controls for user features. There's a little more different, but not much that's user facing.

hyminameisderek

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site

Thanks! I was getting it confused with GPe. I looked up the galaxy developer editions and they retained touchwiz, just had the unlockable boot loader. The X is close enough to stock that I'd be OK with it. I just really want the 32gb option and since I plan on paying full price I'd rather have the more free phone.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AC Forums mobile app

hyminameisderek

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
I haven't played with it yet, but I'm hoping Active Display becomes part of the future Google phones (Nexus 5). I also wonder when the Dev edition is going to come out. I'm guessing it will be after it's physically launched on all carriers, but who knows. Has Verizon even said they'll carry the Dev edition? It seems everyone is just assuming they will since they have in the past.

snookiesnoo

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
I haven't played with it yet, but I'm hoping Active Display becomes part of the future Google phones (Nexus 5). I also wonder when the Dev edition is going to come out. I'm guessing it will be after it's physically launched on all carriers, but who knows. Has Verizon even said they'll carry the Dev edition? It seems everyone is just assuming they will since they have in the past.

There was an announcement that there would be a Verizon dev version.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech