I want to switch from the iPhone 5 to Moto X but I am nervous about it. has anyone switched?

fantom555

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
i have the iphone 5 now, i was in the store toty and i love android lways have but because my home and office is all apple i have always come back to apple after a few weeks with a droid. i tried the s4 but it was to big i like a smaller screen 4.5 to 4.7 is best. the s4 had to many gimmicks and it was just to big. my wife and i share a calander becuse of social issues so we always no what each other is doing we use iCloud. i know if i switch she is going to ***** about using the google cal and so on. i know i can try the droid for 14 days but its never long enough. i just dont know what to do. is the iphone more stable will i get board with the droid. also the memory i have all my music and pics on my iphone and there is no way the moto X can handle it i have 64gb now what. i cant belive they did not make sd slot i dont understand why. but has anyone switched from the iphone 5 to the moto X and enjoid it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: i want to switch from the iPhone 5 to moto X but i a nervous about it. has anyone switched?

i have the iphone 5 now, i was in the store toty and i love android lways have but because my home and office is all apple i have always come back to apple after a few weeks with a droid. i tried the s4 but it was to big i like a smaller screen 4.5 to 4.7 is best. the s4 had to many gimmicks and it was just to big. my wife and i share a calander becuse of social issues so we always no what each other is doing we use iCloud. i know if i switch she is going to ***** about using the google cal and so on. i know i can try the droid for 14 days but its never long enough. i just dont know what to do. is the iphone more stable will i get board with the droid. also the memory i have all my music and pics on my iphone and there is no way the moto X can handle it i have 64gb now what. i cant belive they did not make sd slot i dont understand why. but has anyone switched from the iphone 5 to the moto X and enjoid it.

I haven't switched from Apple to Moto, but in my opinion, now is a wonderful time to switch. The Moto, the LG G2, the HTC One, all Android, and all out this year. As for your memory issues, you can stream from Google Music, uploading all your CDs, and music files.

However, here is a couple counter suggestions: Get a Moto X on another line or even a Nexus 4 from Play. Buy the Nexus outright, and use a prepaid service for mobile networks. Either method does a couple things. It will allow you to get used to Android on your own terms, and you still have your Apple to fall back on.

Just my take, hope that at least helps.

Hope to see you in the forums with a Moto!!!

lostaggie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Re: i want to switch from the iPhone 5 to moto X but i a nervous about it. has anyone switched?

Just did this switch from iPhone 5 to Moto X. I don't think I wild have been motivated to do such if it weren't for the made in USA thing. That said, it is a nice phone and I do like the customizable aspect. I tried a galaxy s4 but the lag was horrible and the features were gimmicks. The Moto X features are usable and pleasant. The battery life is good. The build quality is good but the materials are not as "premium" as the iPhone. The screen size is better on the Moto.

I will be keeping but I will miss some things about the iPhone. I also really like some things about Android.

Travisimo

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site

I hope I can shed some light on your question, though obviously it's a very personal decision.

I go back and forth between iOS and Android quite frequently. I've sported an iPhone 5 on Verizon since it came out last year, and I recently tried a Galaxy S4, an HTC One, and now I also have a Moto X on AT&T (I have an account with Verizon and AT&T). The point is, I've had plenty of experience with both... though I was originally an iPhone user before Android even came out. All that said, here are my comments for you:

- I completely agree with you about the GS4. My opinion is that it is an uninspired design with poorly optimized software that makes for a sub par overall experience. The HTC One - while having a much better overall experience and superb build quality - is quite large and difficult to use one-handed. I also struggled with poor battery life on the One.

- The iPhone 5 has been a great phone, and is all the better with iOS 7 (which I've been running since the beta came out). I know it's cliche to say it, but it definitely feels right and is just the right size to use one-handed. However, like many others, the Android features and customization are very alluring, especially as iOS grows a little tiresome (even with the iOS 7 changes, it's still basically a grid of icons). If you already have quite a few other iOS devices, there's nothing better than an iPhone to tie them all together.

- That said, there are ways to use iOS and Android devices in conjunction with each other without too much hassle. For example, you mentioned sharing a calendar. My wife and I share a calendar and she as an iPhone and I am using Android. By switching everything over to Google, you can easily add Google services to the iPhone (though not the other way around). So export your iOS calendar to Google and then you'll be able to share your calendar just like you currently do. Your wife won't even know the difference once you get it set up. Contacts too can be easily synced with iOS, so imo it's better to just use Google services and then you'll be able to switch between iOS and Android much easier.

- Regarding the Moto X specifically, it is probably the closest thing to an iPhone you're going to find on Android. Though the screen itself is larger, the phone doesn't feel much larger. It's about the same height, though a little wider with more screen real estate. The build quality of the X is quite good, much better than the slimy feeling that the GS4 has. And with a nearly stock build of Android, it is not weighed down by unneeded software features like you find on the GS4 (and even the One). It truly feels almost as fluid as an iPhone in actual use, which is saying a lot IMO.

- Regarding storage space, you learn to adapt to the lack of an SD card. On iOS, most of my space was taken up by games. I rarely play games on Android, so I don't even come close to using all of the storage space. There's plenty of memory on the Moto X for photos and videos as long as you are willing to download them to your PC once in a while and clear them out. You can even do this wirelessly with Android/PC software. As for music, I have switched over to a music subscription service (Google Play Music is pretty awesome, as is Spotify). This has cut down on the amount of storage I need, though I can still download songs/albums for offline use whenever I want - and it's easy to switch them up when you need to clear out space. If you can get a Moto X with 32GB, definitely go for it, but even 16GB is plenty if you are conscientious of your media habits.

- And finally, the Moto X is the most personal phone I've even owned, mostly due to the customizations that I was able to make at Motomaker.com. I don't know what carrier you're on, but if you're seriously considering the switch, I would suggest waiting for Motomaker if you aren't on AT&T. Having a phone that looks the way you want is something unique with great satisfaction. The Touchless Controls and Active Notifications are just icing on the cake. The REAL appeal of the Moto X, in my opinion, is the overall hardware design of the phone, the customization, and the buttery smooth nearly-stock Android experience.

My recommendation is to give one a try and just return it if you don't like it. You've got nothing to lose other than perhaps a restocking fee, which is a small sacrifice for the ability to try before you buy.

thegrants82

Banned
May 8, 2013
Visit site

Agreed. Give it a try and if you don't like it just take it back that was my plan going into it but the Moto X is so nice yesterday I put my iPhone 5 on eBay. I was running iOS 7 beta 6.

~ Sent from my Moto X ~

fantom555

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site

Thank you all i am on verizion so i dont think i will be able to make my own phone yet. i have been running my iphone on iOS 7 since it came out and i am not impressed. i use my phone for emails and text and sometimes i play games but most of the time i use my ipad for games. I get many emails with documents and offerings so the bigger screen is great. i love the touch less control. i am going to play with it for a few days and see.

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site

I hope I can shed some light on your question, though obviously it's a very personal decision.

My recommendation is to give one a try and just return it if you don't like it. You've got nothing to lose other than perhaps a restocking fee, which is a small sacrifice for the ability to try before you buy.

+1
Very nice post. Good balanced info. I forgot I was on the internet for a minute.

farb12

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site

Well as a iPhone user for the last 2 years I just took the plunge and ordered an X on Verizon. Played with one at AT&T and was impressed. Hopefully I have the same feelings during normal everyday use, kinda nervous that I will be disappointed in the long run.

Posted via Android Central App

Deanig_12

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site

Ino this may not have nothing to do with the thread but i was a iphone 4/4s user for 3 years and about 3 week ago i deciding to make the jump to android i now have samsung galaxy s3 mini never had a problem as of yet (fingers crossed)lol and since then i have never looked back crackin lil thing :) :D

Sent from my GT-I8190 using AC Forums mobile app

GrantEarls

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site

The moto x is an excellent phone. I would definitely do the switch.

fantom555

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site

So i just ordered it i hope to have it in a few days My question is whats the best way to store pics and view pics for the moto X. for music i use itues and spotify together so i am happy. I use the mac eco system so i have to just figure out how to share a calendar with my wife then i will be good to go.

snookiesnoo

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site

Sync the Apple Calendar on your Mac with Google calendar.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

rion_j

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site

I go back and forth between iOS and Android quite frequently. I've sported an iPhone 5 on Verizon since it came out last year, and I recently tried a Galaxy S4, an HTC One, and now I also have a Moto X on AT&T (I have an account with Verizon and AT&T). The point is, I've had plenty of experience with both... though I was originally an iPhone user before Android even came out. All that said, here are my comments for you:

- I completely agree with you about the GS4. My opinion is that it is an uninspired design with poorly optimized software that makes for a sub par overall experience. The HTC One - while having a much better overall experience and superb build quality - is quite large and difficult to use one-handed. I also struggled with poor battery life on the One.

- The iPhone 5 has been a great phone, and is all the better with iOS 7 (which I've been running since the beta came out). I know it's cliche to say it, but it definitely feels right and is just the right size to use one-handed. However, like many others, the Android features and customization are very alluring, especially as iOS grows a little tiresome (even with the iOS 7 changes, it's still basically a grid of icons). If you already have quite a few other iOS devices, there's nothing better than an iPhone to tie them all together.

- That said, there are ways to use iOS and Android devices in conjunction with each other without too much hassle. For example, you mentioned sharing a calendar. My wife and I share a calendar and she as an iPhone and I am using Android. By switching everything over to Google, you can easily add Google services to the iPhone (though not the other way around). So export your iOS calendar to Google and then you'll be able to share your calendar just like you currently do. Your wife won't even know the difference once you get it set up. Contacts too can be easily synced with iOS, so imo it's better to just use Google services and then you'll be able to switch between iOS and Android much easier.

- Regarding the Moto X specifically, it is probably the closest thing to an iPhone you're going to find on Android. Though the screen itself is larger, the phone doesn't feel much larger. It's about the same height, though a little wider with more screen real estate. The build quality of the X is quite good, much better than the slimy feeling that the GS4 has. And with a nearly stock build of Android, it is not weighed down by unneeded software features like you find on the GS4 (and even the One). It truly feels almost as fluid as an iPhone in actual use, which is saying a lot IMO.

- Regarding storage space, you learn to adapt to the lack of an SD card. On iOS, most of my space was taken up by games. I rarely play games on Android, so I don't even come close to using all of the storage space. There's plenty of memory on the Moto X for photos and videos as long as you are willing to download them to your PC once in a while and clear them out. You can even do this wirelessly with Android/PC software. As for music, I have switched over to a music subscription service (Google Play Music is pretty awesome, as is Spotify). This has cut down on the amount of storage I need, though I can still download songs/albums for offline use whenever I want - and it's easy to switch them up when you need to clear out space. If you can get a Moto X with 32GB, definitely go for it, but even 16GB is plenty if you are conscientious of your media habits.

- And finally, the Moto X is the most personal phone I've even owned, mostly due to the customizations that I was able to make at Motomaker.com. I don't know what carrier you're on, but if you're seriously considering the switch, I would suggest waiting for Motomaker if you aren't on AT&T. Having a phone that looks the way you want is something unique with great satisfaction. The Touchless Controls and Active Notifications are just icing on the cake. The REAL appeal of the Moto X, in my opinion, is the overall hardware design of the phone, the customization, and the buttery smooth nearly-stock Android experience.

really well said, and i agree with just about every point made expect for one. :) IMO, i don't think iOS7 makes the iPhone better. I've been on every beta for iOS7 and it's actually made me long for Android more than ever. here is why i don't care for iOS7:

* Still the same grid of icons (as you mentioned)
* The color palette in iOS7 is way to feminine for me (fluorescence, neon & transparent UI & icons look horrible together)
* iOS7 lacks feeling, depth and emotion compared to iOS6. (it feels like a hot neon mess w/o character)
* The UI in iOS7 feels very light and airy w/o weight

Ok, end rant. It's kind of hard to explain unless you've used iOS7. Funny thing is, I was really excited to use iOS7 after it was announced by Apple. After using it for several months, I now know I have ZERO interest in iPhones moving forward unless they allow Themes, and/or customization like Android.

So, OP - go for Android unless your really loving iOS7. If you like to customize, Android is KING!

phillyphill

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
i want to switch from the iPhone 5 to moto X but i a nervous about it. has a...

I ordered 2 on Thursday. I pulled the trigger early and didn't see the coupons. So I ordered another using the coupons. And I was going to get them Tuesday. Checked FedEx and they decided to return the packages. Because my address suddenly became wrong after 2 years of ordering stuff and getting them sent. So I have to wait until the end of the week to try again :(.

And I'm switching from an iPhone 5.

snookasnoo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

Agree even though I have zero intention of not having an iPhone and will buy the next one on day one. But I also have Android devices. I would not buy a Nexus 4 just now when the 5 should be out soon. The Nexus 5 pretty much has to have LTE after all and may be on all carriers as a result. But I do think that iPhone switchers would be happiest with stock android over any of the overlays. interesting to see how many people dislike the S 4 build and performance. Hopefully Samsung is listening. I think this has really hurt sales of the S 4 and may have a lot to do with why they cut manufacturing of S 4's.

I haven't switched from Apple to Moto, but in my opinion, now is a wonderful time to switch. The Moto, the LG G2, the HTC One, all Android, and all out this year. As for your memory issues, you can stream from Google Music, uploading all your CDs, and music files.

However, here is a couple counter suggestions: Get a Moto X on another line or even a Nexus 4 from Play. Buy the Nexus outright, and use a prepaid service for mobile networks. Either method does a couple things. It will allow you to get used to Android on your own terms, and you still have your Apple to fall back on.

Just my take, hope that at least helps.

Hope to see you in the forums with a Moto!!!

chrisdiaz73

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

I have been an iPhone user ever since the 3GS days, and here and there had android phones with not much success (I have 2 lines). Most recently I had a Nexus 4 which I swapped out for an S4 Active. The S4 didn't go so well, way too big and too full of Extras that I didn't want or need. I was sure to get an iPhone 5s in the coming month. Well, in comes the Moto X. I got this phone on release day, and I will tell you, it is a pure joy to own. It is way better than any other Android phone I have used, yes even better than the Nexus 4! The touch less controls just work, the active display shows me exactly what I'm puling my phone out to see, the battery life is giving me the amount of time I need in a day. I have no desire now to look into the iPhone 5s. I will still be getting one, but that will be for my wife, because she is technically challenged and doesn't care to change to android. Oh, and as for ecosystem, well, I have no trouble integrating...my biggest gripe is iMessage, but I actually got most of my friends to use hangouts, and with the moto connect, I am still able to use my computer to respond to txt's. Motorola (or Google rather) really thought about this phone....

I will admit, the thing that drove my more permanent use of Android, is the fact that I was able to score a pair of Google Glasses, and I wanted the full integration with the glasses via the android ecosystem (txt messages etc..) iphone is limited in what it can deliver to the glasses for the time being. This also makes things more natural for me on the moto x in the OK Google Now...as the glass terminology is OK Glass....

tanknitrous

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site

Well, I was thinking of switching from my iPhone 5. After messing with the Moto X for a while, taking some pics and texting a bit, I'm sticking with the 5 a little longer I think. I've owned Android phones before and swore I'd never go back to Android. The X was the phone I THOUGHT I was waiting for. It's a pretty slick phone but its just not for me. While messing with the X it rebooted itself which wasn't good. My iPhone after almost a year has never done that once. It just works. Am I bored with it? Yes, a little and I've been using iOS7. But dang it if it doesn't work every dang time. I'll revisit the X after Sept 10th and reconsider maybe. I wanted to fall in love with it but didn't. I took some pics side by side with my 5 and its not even close. I know that's not the only important thing, but it is to me somewhat. I don't want to discourage the OP from buying the X if it works for them, it's just not for me. Variety is the spice of life.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThatDude