I want to switch from the iPhone 5 to Moto X but I am nervous about it. has anyone switched?

jschu22

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Re: i want to switch from the iPhone 5 to moto X but i a nervous about it. has anyone switched?

For iCloud are you using a Mac? An alternative suggestion for contacts and calendar is SmoothSync if you are. Everyone has suggested Google calendar but for me that created a mess, but maybe that's because I am completely imbedded in the Apple ecosystem with iOS and a Mac. I also plan on keeping my options open to go back and forth as I please. Additionally, Google Music Manager has allowed me to continue to use iTunes because it will sync. Just kind of a pain to reverse the process and save Google Play music to iTunes, but that's not an issue if you don't buy music from Google.

As far as the Moto X- I echo what many have said in that its great and has been the only Android phone that has made me consider a permanent switch. Ive owned most major Android phones but have always gone back to the iPhone but the Moto X is different and has been a joy to use.

Posted via Android Central App

PlanetPluto7

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Re: i want to switch from the iPhone 5 to moto X but i a nervous about it. has anyone switched?

Chill. You can move the Apple stuff over a few different ways when you want to. I would look for a cheap (year old) Android smartphone like the Galaxy S3 with an sd card slot and removeable battery. Set it up with all the stuff from your current 64Gig sd on the new one and use another carrier like T-mobile (cheapest) or a month to month plan. Then you can play with the Android and get used to it without any big sudden changes. Ask your wife to duplicate the calenders for a 30 day trial and let her have the Droid or another one too. Cloud doesn't matter which one you use. Cheap enough to use more than one for small amounts of data.

farb12

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site

Well I've had the X for a few days and really like it. There are a few things that Im going to have to get use to coming from the iPhone. I do have a few questions that I was hoping you guys could help me out with.

1. Im not getting any voicemail notifications, just missed calls.
2. When I was at the Verizon store the Droid Maxx had unread red square badges on email/text. Is this a Droid Maxx/ultra thing or did someone install a third party app?
3. In music I have a few instant mixes created. Is there a way to save the entire instant mix to the phone so I don't use data streaming?

parpart33

May 25, 2011
Visit site

1. Call your voicemail to set it up... Your iPhone has visual voicemail and the X uses standard... You will need to reset everything to get voicemail on your new phone.
2. That is an exclusive Droid feature, however with a custom launcher like NOVA you can get the same functionality on your X
3. You can download the playlist to your phone and play it directly from there as opposed to Google Play Music and not use data for that playlist.

tonymhoffman

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site

Well I've had the X for a few days and really like it. There are a few things that Im going to have to get use to coming from the iPhone. I do have a few questions that I was hoping you guys could help me out with.

1. Im not getting any voicemail notifications, just missed calls.
2. When I was at the Verizon store the Droid Maxx had unread red square badges on email/text. Is this a Droid Maxx/ultra thing or did someone install a third party app?
3. In music I have a few instant mixes created. Is there a way to save the entire instant mix to the phone so I don't use data streaming?

I use nova launcher and this has telsa unread counts in the app. Works the same way. Give it a try.

farb12

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site

Voice mail is set up. I can call vm and listen to all that have been left. I just don't get any type of notice that they r there.

brianbrain

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site

As others have said, your biggest issue is just going to be migrating your icloud services to Google. Once you do that, I think you'll be quite happy. I have an ip5 for work and a droid mini for personal use (essentially the same phone as the x).

With Motos latest phones, I can finally say that there is absolutely nothing about the iPhone experience that is superior...except the camera, but the moto's cam is still more than adequate for my use.

As always, YMMV.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk 4

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

I hope I can shed some light on your question, though obviously it's a very personal decision.

I go back and forth between iOS and Android quite frequently. I've sported an iPhone 5 on Verizon since it came out last year, and I recently tried a Galaxy S4, an HTC One, and now I also have a Moto X on AT&T (I have an account with Verizon and AT&T). The point is, I've had plenty of experience with both... though I was originally an iPhone user before Android even came out. All that said, here are my comments for you:

- I completely agree with you about the GS4. My opinion is that it is an uninspired design with poorly optimized software that makes for a sub par overall experience. The HTC One - while having a much better overall experience and superb build quality - is quite large and difficult to use one-handed. I also struggled with poor battery life on the One.

- The iPhone 5 has been a great phone, and is all the better with iOS 7 (which I've been running since the beta came out). I know it's cliche to say it, but it definitely feels right and is just the right size to use one-handed. However, like many others, the Android features and customization are very alluring, especially as iOS grows a little tiresome (even with the iOS 7 changes, it's still basically a grid of icons). If you already have quite a few other iOS devices, there's nothing better than an iPhone to tie them all together.

- That said, there are ways to use iOS and Android devices in conjunction with each other without too much hassle. For example, you mentioned sharing a calendar. My wife and I share a calendar and she as an iPhone and I am using Android. By switching everything over to Google, you can easily add Google services to the iPhone (though not the other way around). So export your iOS calendar to Google and then you'll be able to share your calendar just like you currently do. Your wife won't even know the difference once you get it set up. Contacts too can be easily synced with iOS, so imo it's better to just use Google services and then you'll be able to switch between iOS and Android much easier.

- Regarding the Moto X specifically, it is probably the closest thing to an iPhone you're going to find on Android. Though the screen itself is larger, the phone doesn't feel much larger. It's about the same height, though a little wider with more screen real estate. The build quality of the X is quite good, much better than the slimy feeling that the GS4 has. And with a nearly stock build of Android, it is not weighed down by unneeded software features like you find on the GS4 (and even the One). It truly feels almost as fluid as an iPhone in actual use, which is saying a lot IMO.

- Regarding storage space, you learn to adapt to the lack of an SD card. On iOS, most of my space was taken up by games. I rarely play games on Android, so I don't even come close to using all of the storage space. There's plenty of memory on the Moto X for photos and videos as long as you are willing to download them to your PC once in a while and clear them out. You can even do this wirelessly with Android/PC software. As for music, I have switched over to a music subscription service (Google Play Music is pretty awesome, as is Spotify). This has cut down on the amount of storage I need, though I can still download songs/albums for offline use whenever I want - and it's easy to switch them up when you need to clear out space. If you can get a Moto X with 32GB, definitely go for it, but even 16GB is plenty if you are conscientious of your media habits.

- And finally, the Moto X is the most personal phone I've even owned, mostly due to the customizations that I was able to make at Motomaker.com. I don't know what carrier you're on, but if you're seriously considering the switch, I would suggest waiting for Motomaker if you aren't on AT&T. Having a phone that looks the way you want is something unique with great satisfaction. The Touchless Controls and Active Notifications are just icing on the cake. The REAL appeal of the Moto X, in my opinion, is the overall hardware design of the phone, the customization, and the buttery smooth nearly-stock Android experience.

My recommendation is to give one a try and just return it if you don't like it. You've got nothing to lose other than perhaps a restocking fee, which is a small sacrifice for the ability to try before you buy.

Also, if you don't get a MotoMaker one, most brick stores don't have a restocking fee. I'm all Android, so can't speak to switching over, except for the music, the Play Music app works great with my iTunes account. But since I am synced up now, I use the Google music manager. I've played with the Moto X and it's great for a new or expert Android user. The camera isn't the best, but it's decent. You don't have much to lose by trying it out.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

brianbrain

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site

Voice mail is set up. I can call vm and listen to all that have been left. I just don't get any type of notice that they r there.

Farb - I highly suggest you download and set up Google voice. Even if you don't want to use it for the calling features, it is by far the best way to handle voicemail on android, and integrates directly into the call history. This *will* replace your Verizon voicemail so be sure you've listened to and/or cleared all existing voice mails before switching.

TechTinker

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site

Farb - I highly suggest you download and set up Google voice. Even if you don't want to use it for the calling features, it is by far the best way to handle voicemail on android, and integrates directly into the call history. This *will* replace your Verizon voicemail so be sure you've listened to and/or cleared all existing voice mails before switching.

I so want to this, but I could never set it up, something about the carrier. (I'm on Verizon). And it does visual voicemail correct?

MrVeda

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site

You have to add Visual VM to your plan on Verizon if you want to get and use Visual VM. It costs $2.99 per month and is well worth it as you can then forward any of your VM as texts or emails to other people.

luckydwg

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site

I too came from apple and iPhone's and I currently use an iPad. Android has come a long way with jelly bean. Here are a couple of apps that I used to make the transition and the cross platform use easier. Evernote and wunderlist for ur tasks. Google Voice for voicemail easy to use and its free. My wife uses apple and likes to use the icloud shared Calender's so I use this app to sync icloud

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ails?id=org.dmfs.caldav.icloud&token=F5BoNhRE

Smooth sync for cloud calendar.

For music I have uploaded everything to Google music.

I use Google + to back up photos.

Nova launcher is a great launcher too I put it on all my android devices.

Hope this all helps.

The best way to decide is to take the plunge and try it for yourself.

Good luck.

brianbrain

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site

I so want to this, but I could never set it up, something about the carrier. (I'm on Verizon). And it does visual voicemail correct?

The error you receive during setup is in regards to the voicemail forwarding. This is required to redirect your missed calls to Google voice. Verizon supports this, but you'll need to do it manually. Its super quick and easy though (see the special instructions for Verizon users):

https://support.google.com/voice/answer/165656?hl=en

It does visual voicemail, voicemail transcribing, and integrates directly into the moto call history so once its set up you'll never have to touch it again if you dont want to. This is just the tip of the ice burg though, if you have the time, check it out in depth as it has many very useful features outside of voicemail.

brianbrain

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site

You have to add Visual VM to your plan on Verizon if you want to get and use Visual VM. It costs $2.99 per month and is well worth it as you can then forward any of your VM as texts or emails to other people.

Verizon has a visual voicemail app that they charge you monthly for, and yeah you can use it, but do you also use their navigation app with associated monthly fee? ...I didn't think so.

Download and set up Google voice. Ditch Verizon's duplicated charged service. This is another example of Verizon borderline scamming their customers.

nelschroeder

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Re: i want to switch from the iPhone 5 to moto X but i a nervous about it. has anyone switched

I hope I can shed some light on your question, though obviously it's a very personal decision.......
- That said, there are ways to use iOS and Android devices in conjunction with each other without too much hassle. For example, you mentioned sharing a calendar. My wife and I share a calendar and she as an iPhone and I am using Android. By switching everything over to Google, you can easily add Google services to the iPhone (though not the other way around). So export your iOS calendar to Google and then you'll be able to share your calendar just like you currently do. Your wife won't even know the difference once you get it set up. Contacts too can be easily synced with iOS, so imo it's better to just use Google services and then you'll be able to switch between iOS and Android much easier.

I agree with everything said but just wanted to add to this....say what you will about iOS but Apple has done a remarkable job of allowing cross compatibility with their software and Android.

I was very leary of switching between the two but have found there are many iOS apps that allow seamless compatibility. I use both iOS and Android with Google Calendar as well as Gmail. I too can share calendars with my family and also through work. Apps for Google Drive, Syncing Contacts, Spotify for music, and Kingston Office for documents allow me to share just about anything between the two. It's much easier and fluid than a few years back. With Real Player I can convert my iTunes library over to my android and visa versa.

I like and use both platforms. So for what it's worth, one shouldn't fear switching to the dark side as much as before. Switching from iPhone to Moto X should be relatively simple.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Last edited:

Solo118

Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Re: i want to switch from the iPhone 5 to moto X but i a nervous about it. has anyone switched

I agree with everything said but just wanted to add to this....say what you will about iOS but Apple has done a remarkable job of allowing cross compatibility with their software and Android.

I was very leary of switching between the two but have found there are many iOS apps that allow seamless compatibility. I use both iOS and Android with Google Calendar as well as Gmail. I too can share calendars with my family and also through work. Apps for Google Drive, Syncing Contacts, Spotify for music, and Kingston Office for documents allow me to share just about anything between the two. It's much easier and fluid than a few years back. With Real Player I can convert my iTunes library over to my android and visa versa.

I like and use both platforms. So for what it's worth, one shouldn't fear switching to the dark side as much as before. Switching from iPhone to Moto X should be relatively simple.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

I too switched from the iphone 5. So far so good, I am just missing stupid things that stock ios had such as battery percentage on the top bar and email/SMS counters to show how many messages you have.

Another thing I wish I had, but it was a jailbroken iOS feature was an app called Lockinfo. It basically allowed you to see all emails and SMS on your lockscreen to get a small preview of what new messages you have.

thegrants82

Banned
May 8, 2013
Visit site

I too switched from the iphone 5. So far so good, I am just missing stupid things that stock ios had such as battery percentage on the top bar and email/SMS counters to show how many messages you have.

Another thing I wish I had, but it was a jailbroken iOS feature was an app called Lockinfo. It basically allowed you to see all emails and SMS on your lockscreen to get a small preview of what new messages you have.

Geeze dude there are apps for everything that you you are complaining about. I just came from an iphone5. Do a search for what you want and you will find it faster.

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site

Have you tried playing around with Nova Launcher?
Like this? https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...am.android.notificationswidget&token=n92Q2bUq

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site

For iCloud are you using a Mac? An alternative suggestion for contacts and calendar is SmoothSync if you are. Everyone has suggested Google calendar but for me that created a mess, but maybe that's because I am completely imbedded in the Apple ecosystem with iOS and a Mac.

What mess did it create? I'm also invested in the Apple ecosystem as well with my ipad and Mac and have no issues whatsoever sharing my calendars between those and my Android phone. It all works together quite seemlessly.