09-10-2013 04:06 AM
50 12
tools
    I need more then 16g and Verizon doesn't have 32g. I download lots of musics and video and would run out of space quickly.
    09-02-2013 09:51 PM
    The available storage space concerns me. I'm still on a Galaxy Nexus 32g and after almost two years of wiping and flashing I have to clear up some space. I miss an SD card slot.

I think the manufacturers were trying to push the consumer to use the cloud. Since we've all found out that there is no reasonable expectation of privacy I have no desire to use anyone's cloud.
    Even though I agree with you, the cloud is coming whether we like it or not.
    09-02-2013 09:55 PM
    I don't know what the cloud is? How much storage do you have left when you get your Moto X? Does the Moto X have an SD card. I hear it does and you can get a SD card up to 32G?
    09-02-2013 10:04 PM
    My Thoughts....This is a SMART PHONE!!! Maybe even the smartest phone you can buy!

After ordering my VZ Moto on Thursday....and paying for next day shipping, I have had a couple of good days with the phone and color me Impressed! I upgraded from my trusty DINC Original and also own the GNEX 4. I truly look forward to seeing what Google does next with the Nexus, as the Moto X feels like an Really Optimized version of the Nexus.

First the bad.....No SD slot and only 16 GB for the Verizon version. This is not a problem for me since I use a Note 8 pad for my pictures and portfolios, but it will bother some.

Otherwise:
    The Screen.....forget about it. It's Excellent and compares with ANY phone I have seen. 720p works here and the trade-off for battery life was Very Smart. Worry NOT!

The Experience....Google has Undersold this phone and I think it will Really have legs as others Discover it. Notifications....only illuminate a few pixels on the screen ....again to save juice...another improvement on the flashing LED. The Notifications are Smart also...and you can answer or dismiss them from the lockscreen with a swipe. Touchless Control Experience.....this phone truly borders on Artificial Intelligence and Anticipates what you want as it learns about you. It switches seamlessy to driving, hands-free mode and reads your incoming texts to you....and the search features are second to none. If you set up your cards in Google Now, the phone will also read your answers back to any questions you ask it. Set Alarms, Appointments, Calendar Events and make Calls and Texts without Ever touching the phone. Motorola Connect (a sleeper feature)....allows you to receive and send texts from your Computer screen and notifies you of any incoming calls.....without touching the phone....Nice! As I write this....after a Light day of use....but use nonetheless, I am still at 80% battery after a Full Charge this morning. This phone works hard to conserve battery juice. The Camera is better than I was led to believe and is as good as the Nexus. This phone is smooth and polished with no lag so far. The software is......Optimized.....a word you will hear often about this phone.

All in All....I Really believe this phone is a sleeper and may be the Best Android Option available....and yes I'll say it....the Smartest Phone available right now on ANY platform. After training the phone to my voice, I handed it to friends so they could try "Okay Google Now'.....not one of them could open the phone....yet it worked for me Every time. So much for Fingerprint sensors. Google has created a different type of phone here and eschewed the Spec Wars for a Very Intelligent Experience. Google Now easily surpasses Siri in tests....especially when you get past "simple" questions....and the Moto X makes the most of Google Now of any phone available. This includes my GNEX 4 running Android 4.3.

If you are on the fence....I had planned on the VZ HTC One myself....I am surprisingly Happy to cast my personal vote for the Moto X. I Do NOT believe it will disappoint you....D
    mfong likes this.
    09-02-2013 10:48 PM
    If you are considering this phone, make sure you are happy with what it is today, and don't expect any upgrades.

I have a Motorola Photon, which is the Sprint-branded version of the Atrix. It, too, was a fine phone with a nice build quality and well-thought-out set of specs for it's time. But then ICS came out, with it's massive improvement in user interface.

First, Motorola told us that this phone would be upgraded to ICS, and gave a date.
    Then, Motorola pushed an "update" that permanently locked the bootloader, so you couldn't use third-party ROMs.
    and THEN, Motorola told us, "oops, just kidding, we won't be able to upgrade your phone to ICE after all."

This decision was made by the newly installed Google management, not the old Motorola.

So, while the X looks like a nice phone today, I simply don't trust Motorola to deal fairly and honestly with its customers, and I will not take the risk of buying it. I'll be getting a Samsumg or Sony or HTC.
    09-03-2013 12:16 AM
    I should have clarified. Worst shipping time in a phone. Nothing custom, just a simple black moto x. I'll survive of course, just shocked that it didn't ship out on Friday or Saturday.
    09-03-2013 12:25 AM
    If you are considering this phone, make sure you are happy with what it is today, and don't expect any upgrades.

I have a Motorola Photon, which is the Sprint-branded version of the Atrix. It, too, was a fine phone with a nice build quality and well-thought-out set of specs for it's time. But then ICS came out, with it's massive improvement in user interface.

First, Motorola told us that this phone would be upgraded to ICS, and gave a date.
    Then, Motorola pushed an "update" that permanently locked the bootloader, so you couldn't use third-party ROMs.
    and THEN, Motorola told us, "oops, just kidding, we won't be able to upgrade your phone to ICE after all."

This decision was made by the newly installed Google management, not the old Motorola.

So, while the X looks like a nice phone today, I simply don't trust Motorola to deal fairly and honestly with its customers, and I will not take the risk of buying it. I'll be getting a Samsumg or Sony or HTC.
    The problem with moto photon was it was based omap platform ..TI stopped supporting omap is shutdown now ..and it was very hard for OEM to spend lots resources to update the phones ..understand its bad for the consumer ..new moto phones are based of qualcomm platform ...and there is plenty of support from qcom and Dev community to keep it updated. And don't forget moto is now owned by Google ..so u wouldn't expect moto is going to skip updates ..in fact moto will be the best after nexus/gpe phones to get timely updates on carriers

Posted via Android Central App
    09-03-2013 12:46 AM

Also keep in mind that the photon came out before Google owned Moto and remember that this is essentially a google phone. Updates wont be a problem.
    09-03-2013 01:04 AM
    To add to what others here have said, Motorola has done well with updating its other phones, such as the RAZRs. Prior to those, my Droid X got two updates: it launched with Eclair, was updated to Froyo, and then was updated again to Gingerbread. Motorola has also acknowledged that it did its customers' a disservice with not updating other phones, which is why they are issuing $100 credits to people with those devices who wish to update to a new Motorola phone.

The Moto X is Motorola's flagship for launching themselves as a new Google company. I don't have any worries about Motorola not updating the Moto X.
    09-03-2013 01:50 AM
    I seriously needed to reply to this. First off, Great review. i think this phone will be a hit and i'm glad you are liking it as I too am very interested in this phone.

That said, Please don't call then "cores". It's a dual core chip with two additional processors on different chips on the same board. That doesn't make it a quad core. If that's the case, your computer motherboard has like 40 cores. It's a dual core because with two additional low power specifically designed processors (by TI) which only two particular functions.

It's also faster or seems faster than a quad core because quad core snap dragons downgrade their core from 1.7 to 1.0 when all four cores are being activated. The moto x does not. Dual Core 1.7 processors do not downgrade their core frequency at heavy loads. Which is why you are seeing performance improvements. This is partially also related to more of a generic coding scheme and nothing particular related to utilizing the 4 cores in a quad core. Also, it's interesting to point out that at higher loads, say full dual core 1.7 loads, you will waste MORE POWER than a quad core running at full load (because the quad core will downgrade its clock frequency). Why is this important, if you happen to see the moto x burn through battery at a strange rate, its good to check the load on the main processors.

That is all.

Overall great article. Good phone. Love life.
    Aquila likes this.
    09-03-2013 03:57 AM
    I seriously needed to reply to this. First off, Great review. i think this phone will be a hit and i'm glad you are liking it as I too am very interested in this phone.

That said, Please don't call then "cores". It's a dual core chip with two additional processors on different chips on the same board. That doesn't make it a quad core. If that's the case, your computer motherboard has like 40 cores. It's a dual core because with two additional low power specifically designed processors (by TI) which only two particular functions.

It's also faster or seems faster than a quad core because quad core snap dragons downgrade their core from 1.7 to 1.0 when all four cores are being activated. The moto x does not. Dual Core 1.7 processors do not downgrade their core frequency at heavy loads. Which is why you are seeing performance improvements. This is partially also related to more of a generic coding scheme and nothing particular related to utilizing the 4 cores in a quad core. Also, it's interesting to point out that at higher loads, say full dual core 1.7 loads, you will waste MORE POWER than a quad core running at full load (because the quad core will downgrade its clock frequency). Why is this important, if you happen to see the moto x burn through battery at a strange rate, its good to check the load on the main processors.

That is all.

Overall great article. Good phone. Love life.
    Is that why regular quad core phones are appearing to handle battery life a little better while playing HD intensive games? Just curious which setup will handle recent and future HD games better. I suspect a straight up quad core s600 or s800 will though.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    09-03-2013 09:40 AM
    Good review. This phone has me sold...I just wish VZW had a 32gb option. I can make do with 16, but I'd really prefer to have that extra buffer. I HATE the friggin' carrier exclusive crap. I'm most likely picking up a Nexus 7 32gb, so any larger games I play will stay on there, but that's really a let down that VZW gets hosed on the customization and storage size.
    09-03-2013 03:21 PM
    To add to what others here have said, Motorola has done well with updating its other phones, such as the RAZRs. Prior to those, my Droid X got two updates: it launched with Eclair, was updated to Froyo, and then was updated again to Gingerbread. Motorola has also acknowledged that it did its customers' a disservice with not updating other phones, which is why they are issuing $100 credits to people with those devices who wish to update to a new Motorola phone.

The Moto X is Motorola's flagship for launching themselves as a new Google company. I don't have any worries about Motorola not updating the Moto X.
    Has Moto updaetd phones that aren't on Verizon?

Also, does this phone have an unlocked bootloader?

Finally, the $100 credit was an insult. At the time they offered it, the used phone was worth more than that on e-bay. (and yes, you had to return the phone to them to get the credit.)

Hey, go ahead and ignore my experience. That's what I would probably do. I just feel a moral obligation to warn people just how shabbily the CURRENT management of Motorola treated their recent customers. I hope they treat you better than they treated me.
    09-03-2013 04:11 PM
    ...which is why they are issuing $100 credits to people with those devices who wish to update to a new Motorola phone.
    What is this $100 credit you speak of? How do I get it?

I just upgraded from a DX to a MotoX on Verizon.
    09-03-2013 04:49 PM
    What is this $100 credit you speak of? How do I get it?

I just upgraded from a DX to a MotoX on Verizon.
    Moto Trade-Up
    09-03-2013 04:55 PM
    Has Moto updaetd phones that aren't on Verizon?

Also, does this phone have an unlocked bootloader?
    Yes, Motorola has updated non-Verizon Android phones. https://motorola-global-portal.custh...RmFCSm5xemw%3D

Sprint, US Cellular, and T-Mobile will all have Moto X variants with unlockable bootloaders. (All phones have locked bootloaders, even Nexus phones. Whether or not they are encrypted and unlockable is the issue.) AT&T and Verizon will not; customers on those networks will need to get a developer edition if they want a phone with an unlockable bootloader. https://plus.google.com/+PunitSoni/posts/e6oQdFnLGiv

This information is out there if you look for it. No one is ignoring your experience. You might actually want to educate yourself, though, before telling everyone that Motorola doesn't update their phones because you are flat out wrong. Your experience doesn't speak to the experience provided by their more recent devices.
    jephanie likes this.
    09-03-2013 05:42 PM
    I tried the moto x and it runs well and the screen isn't bad but I still really enjoy my HTC One. Not bashing the X, I just like my One a lot.

Sent from my HTC One
    Aquila likes this.
    09-03-2013 05:53 PM
    I tried the moto x and it runs well and the screen isn't bad but I still really enjoy my HTC One. Not bashing the X, I just like my One a lot.
    I'm right with you on that.
    09-03-2013 06:39 PM

This information is out there if you look for it. No one is ignoring your experience. You might actually want to educate yourself, though, before telling everyone that Motorola doesn't update their phones because you are flat out wrong. Your experience doesn't speak to the experience provided by their more recent devices.
    really, my message is not so much "motorola didn't update my phone" ad it is "motorola acted deceitfully and with bad faith towards its customers.

If they hadn't promised ice,
    If they hadn't pushed a trivial "update" whose only real impact was to make it impossible to unlock the bootloader,
    Even, if, in their apology they had actually given injured customers something of value, rather than offering a discount on _their_ products worth less than the market price of the phone you had to return to them,

Maybe, if any of those had been otherwise, I would trust then enough to buy another phone from them.

Their mistreatment of their customers was shocking enough that it made the tech news for a week or two.

I know that there aren't a lot of manufacturers, and they all have warts. But the guy who screwed me and all other photon/atrix owners is still in the same position Google put him in. it's not a "new company".

Anyhow, I hope they push the market towards better features, and I hope they treat their new customers better than they treated me.
    09-03-2013 07:05 PM
    I hope they treat their new customers better than they treated me.
    And, again, they already have. Look at the link I provided. You'll see how much they've improved in keeping their more recent phones updated.

Or don't check out the link and remain willfully ignorant about how they treat their more recent customers and devices.

09-03-2013 07:16 PM
    And, again, they already have. Look at the link I provided. You'll see how much they've improved in keeping their more recent phones updated.

Or don't check out the link and remain willfully ignorant about how they treat their more recent customers and devices.

I meant more, "I hope they don't lie to you", which the link isn't going to tell me.

I do think Motorola makes nice hardware, and I am glad that someone is thinking seriously about what features are useful, and about feature integration. The Galaxy is obviously full of gimmick-ware, but I don't think the One did a lot better in that department. Maybe Zoes will be the next big thing, but I doubt it.
    09-04-2013 09:21 AM
    I meant more, "I hope they don't lie to you", which the link isn't going to tell me.
    Your experience is with a phone that is what? Two years old by now? You flat out refuse to acknowledge that Motorola is any different now--again, two years later--when it comes to their phones and their customers.

I hope you enjoy your Samsung or Sony or HTC that is full of useless software. If you don't want to acknowledge that Motorola has itself admitted to mistakes and has become quite good at updating its phones and treating its customers, then that's your prerogative. But again, posting here without any knowledge of how Motorola treats its phones and customers now and basically telling everyone that Motorola does not update its phones (post #30) is not fair to the company, nor it is fair to anyone else here who has or is interested in the Moto X.
    09-04-2013 10:23 AM
    Thanks, I hope I enjoy it, too. And I hope you enjoy your Moto X.

The incident was about a year ago. The decisions were made by Punit Soni, then newly installed by Google. He is still in the same position at Motorola Mobility. He said at the time "we have to make hard decisions". It's not that hard to deal badly with your customers if no-one remembers a year later. Personally, I'd like to see how they act through at least one full product cycle, which is about 2 years. :shrug:

Personally, I think it is unfair to anyone here who might be interested in the Moto X to ignore that history, but we obviously disagree.

I've said my piece, and I don't think anything will be gained by continuing this side-discussion, though, so I will bow out.
    09-04-2013 06:47 PM
    The only thing that I would add is that I don't think OEM's think of 2 years as a product cycle. I'm pretty sure they're thinking ~10 months before we're shopping again.

Most OEM's are not based in the US and smartphone sales in the US only account for 5-6% of global sales (higher % on flagships, but we're talking total phones) and most countries are not on a 2 year carrier contract product model.

We're also aware that until very recently they thought the phone "as is, out of the box" was the best you could get and updates weren't a priority at all.

They have no incentive other than finicky customer loyalty to continue to update any device once it's successor starts being rumored.

As most consumers don't know which software version their phone is on, whether or not it was updated is usually not a determining factor in brand loyalty except int he inverse situation where an update "screwed up" something they liked using in the way that it worked when they bought it.
    09-04-2013 07:40 PM
    The available storage space concerns me. I'm still on a Galaxy Nexus 32g and after almost two years of wiping and flashing I have to clear up some space. I miss an SD card slot.
    I'm still debating whether to getting this phone and this is the biggest issue that's keeping from buying it. I have a pretty big Spotify playlist and like to keep it cached for offline play. If Sprint offered the 32GB version, I'd be all over it. I think Motorola totally dropped the ball by giving only AT&T the Motomaker and 32GB exclusive.

I also hope a future software update will allow you to change the wake-up phrase from "ok Google Now" to anything you want.
    09-10-2013 04:06 AM
50 12