09-04-2013 12:51 AM
75 123
tools
    I think a lot of people don't realize it takes skill for good pics and they are used to being able to be mediocre and the phone take care of it for their poor skills. Phil posted a pic on his Google+ and it looked pretty darn good.
    Now you're just making excuses. There is no skill in taking a picture on your phone, aside from composing your shot. Aperture control? Nope. Shutter speed control? Nope. ISO adjustment? Nope. Focal length? All digital. Just point and shoot, baby.

Laughable.
    mattopotamus likes this.
    09-02-2013 08:57 PM
    Now you're just making excuses. There is no skill in taking a picture on your phone, aside from composing your shot. Aperture control? Nope. Shutter speed control? Nope. ISO adjustment? Nope. Focal length? All digital. Just point and shoot, baby.

Laughable.
    Excuses? I don't own the x nor plan to get one. There is skill in taking any picture. But yeah its laughable....
    09-02-2013 08:59 PM
    From what I've seen in photos, the Moto X consistently reproduces incorrect white balance. No amount of "skill" can overcome a hardware defect. You might be able to improve upon it in the post-process, but that doesn't excuse the initial problem.

What skill are you referring to anyway? Are you saying that the Moto X would take properly balanced, richly colored photos in the hands of Michael Kenna vs. an average user? Maybe the contextual processor in the phone is so good it knows to make crappy pictures for crappy people.
    09-02-2013 09:05 PM
    From what I've seen in photos, the Moto X consistently reproduces incorrect white balance. No amount of "skill" can overcome a hardware defect. You might be able to improve upon it in the post-process, but that doesn't excuse the initial problem.

What skill are you referring to anyway? Are you saying that the Moto X would take properly balanced, richly colored photos in the hands of Michael Kenna vs. an average user? Maybe the contextual processor in the phone is so good it knows to make crappy pictures for crappy people.
    Agreed.

Posted via Android Central App
    dwd3885 likes this.
    09-02-2013 09:13 PM
    That last post was for slave.

I didn't delete the stock app, going to see if I can learn some stuff with both and make a decision. I like a clear 5mp pic over a blurry 10mp picture. The software and camera on the Moto X is a big fat fail.
    09-02-2013 09:54 PM
    I'm in the process of returning my Moto X because of the camera. I may have to give the AOSP camera a try first though. My experience was that it took photos that lacked sharpness and didn't adjust to changes in lighting very well.
    09-02-2013 10:56 PM
    I'm in the process of returning my Moto X because of the camera. I may have to give the AOSP camera a try first though. My experience was that it took photos that lacked sharpness and didn't adjust to changes in lighting very well.
    It definitely helps. I'm keeping mine, I switched from an iPhone 5 to HTC One to the X. And I'm happy with it.

09-02-2013 11:09 PM
    Oh yeah, try the android camera first. Just do a quick search for Android 4.3 camera app. It shows that the hardware is capable of decent shots, it's the software that absolutely blows.
    09-02-2013 11:13 PM
    Just tried it for comparisons sake. The iphone camera is still head and shoulders above the Moto X/AOSP camera combo. The difference is just too staggering and it sucks because I really liked the Moto X. Here's hoping Motorola can fix it in software by the time the wood backs are ready.

Attached is the pictures I just took. Nothing special, just firing up the camera app and taking a pic. iPhone 5 on the left, Moto X with AOSP camera on the right. the Moto X does appear to have a wider angle lens BTW.

Attachment 79173
    09-02-2013 11:24 PM
    You have to turn on the focus, it's off by default. Open the wheel and tap the focus icon and then you can tap to focus.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    09-02-2013 11:31 PM

Incorrect white balance is a software issue.
    09-02-2013 11:33 PM
    Which is interesting considering the fact that different software (i.e: 3rd party camera apps) don't alleviate the issue.
    09-03-2013 12:08 AM
    love the phone and I will keep it but I gotta admit the camera blows...good thing im not one of those photogenic instagram people...
    09-03-2013 02:17 AM
    I don't know why Moto seems to have trouble with the cameras in their phones. I once had the Droid Razr and Razr Maxx and the cameras were dissapointing too.

Sent from my humble S4
    09-03-2013 02:28 AM
    Which is interesting considering the fact that different software (i.e: 3rd party camera apps) don't alleviate the issue.
    Third party camera apps can't fix issues with the drivers or camera firmware.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    09-03-2013 02:38 AM
    I really want a Moto X to use as my primary phone, but I think I'd notice the difference in photos too much. The camera and display combination of the One is great, and I've been taking more and more photos since I got it.
    Aquila likes this.
    09-03-2013 05:04 AM
    I definitely agree with this. There's a fine tuning application in the phone to make those shots look exactly as you want them to look.
    I think the question or point is, to put it explicitly, is this fine tuning or "skill" more necessary with the X than it is with other premier devices?

Sent from my Xperia Z tab
    09-03-2013 06:44 AM
    I don't know why Moto seems to have trouble with the cameras in their phones. I once had the Droid Razr and Razr Maxx and the cameras were dissapointing too.

Sent from my humble S4
    When I had the Motorola Xoom, it had the best cameras on a tablet that I've seen. You would think they would be capable of putting that in the phones. Hopefully they can fix it with a software update. I'm don't take many pics on my phone, mostly just stuff for Ebay, but I know a lot of people do. The camera is the one thing I keep hearing consistant negative reviews about. It they can fix it, it will really boost this phone because almost everyone seems to like it other than that.
    09-03-2013 08:24 AM
    I really like a lot of things about the Moto X (don't actually have one yet) but have to say that the camera results are making me hold off. They just seem so inconsistent. I have seen some great photos and a lot of terrible ones. In many photos there is clearly a reddish/purpleish/magenta cast and a lack of contrast. While it may be something that can be resolved in a software or firmware update, there is no way anyone can rely on that happening given both Motorola's and Verizon's history. Just very disappointing to have that mar an otherwise excellent device.
    09-03-2013 10:02 AM
    In don't really think a camera should matter in a phone at all. When it comes to the matter of purchasing one device over another, I'm going with the one that gets better reception, because without service, you basically have a mini tablet.
    The camera ranks very low on my list when I am purchasing a PHONE. If you want to take professional grade photos, buy a camera instead of a phone.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    bp3dots likes this.
    09-03-2013 10:41 AM
    I think a lot of people don't realize it takes skill for good pics and they are used to being able to be mediocre and the phone take care of it for their poor skills. Phil posted a pic on his Google+ and it looked pretty darn good.
    I agree. I've posted a bunch of shots in the pictures thread including these and these.
    09-03-2013 10:50 AM
    In don't really think a camera should matter in a phone at all. When it comes to the matter of purchasing one device over another, I'm going with the one that gets better reception, because without service, you basically have a mini tablet.
    The camera ranks very low on my list when I am purchasing a PHONE. If you want to take professional grade photos, buy a camera instead of a phone.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    That's great, good for you, but the camera DOES matter to a great many of us and ranks very HIGH on the list when purchasing a SMART phone. For me, I use the camera on my phone constantly, both in my personal life and my professional life. I need a camera that functions well and take crisp, clear pictures. Unfortunately, it seems the Moto X just isn't cutting it.

I really don't understand people that come into threads like this and comment when their comment says or does nothing for the OP. Good for you...we now know the camera on your phone doesn't matter much FOR YOU. How does that help us again? Oh, that's right, it doesn't. It's just a "look at me" moment when you get to act like you're better than the OP because he's dissatisfied with his Moto X camera.
    09-03-2013 10:53 AM
    Third party camera apps can't fix issues with the drivers or camera firmware.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    Pretty amazing when you can just hone in on one insignificant word of a post rather than address the meat of it.
    09-03-2013 11:26 AM
    I too believe that the camera is an essential part of any phone. I rarely see people taking everyday pictures with a traditional camera unless they are professional photographers which tells me this is the future of the way pictures will be taken. Cell phone cameras have come along way and will continually get better over time where no matter what the conditions are you will be able to consistently take clear pictures. But with that said it can't be the sole reason not to buy a specific phone. All smartphones have good and bad features in relation to there cameras. Some work better in light some work better at night etc... So you have to also weigh other options when deciding on a phone like size, features, reliability etc.. For me this phone (which I will be getting tomorrow) seems to fit me better then any other phone. The pictures I took at an AT&T store seemed to be of high enough quality for me. I am not looking to blow up these pictures to frame them and put them on my wall but rather to once in a while view them on my phone or computer and show to family and friends.
    09-03-2013 11:46 AM
    I agree. I've posted a bunch of shots in the pictures thread including these and these.
    Many of those (especially the first set) are excellent examples of the white balance issues I'm talking about.
    09-03-2013 11:49 AM
75 123