The camera will sink this phone...

slave

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
First is first, I love the phone, I am not a big camera guy, I take maybe 5-10 pics a week. My wife and daughter and HUGE camera people, they take hundreds of pics a month.

My issue with this camera is that I can not get a clear pic. The lack of focus by tapping the screen, like on the GS3, is bad. The phone decides what to focus on. I have been trying to get a pic of my Dog. She is always blurry. On my galaxy, I tapped the screen, the green box appeared, and the software focused on just what I needed, I got a decent pic.

With this phone, I can't get a shot. She is blurry every time. EVERY time.

My wife and Daughter both are tired of Touchwiz like me. I almost went with an iPhone. My daughter went with an iPhone because of the small form factor. My wife is going with the LG G2 or the new Xperia iZ, or the iZ mini.

They both wanted the Moto X, loved the speed, loved the form factor, loved the weight, but could not get passed the pitiful camera on this phone.

This camera sucks. If it had the ability to focus, it could be saved. It takes good enough pics of still objects. I have taken off my fanboi glasses, I can not give this camera more than a 5/10. Add it to the disappointing battery life (sorry guys, 3 days now, 14 hours, 3 hours of screen time is not any better than my GS3), and this phone has an issue.

Googlerola needs to do something with this camera, and fast.

EDIT: My Wife and daughter do not use just a phone for pics. They have very expensive camera (my wallet aches when they go to the camera store) equipment. The phones are just for pure spontaneous stuff, as those big cameras they use can't even be put in a pocket. I have no idea what kind of camera they are. They are big, the lenses come off, the lenses are huge tubular things.

slave

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I tried to use HDR, it still doesn't focus on anything. If my dog is moving, she is blurry. The background looks great.

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
HDR slows down the autofocus by quite a lot. If your subject is moving, probably best to leave it off.

You can also try downloading another camera app that allows for selective focus.

guesswhat_567

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
First is first, I love the phone, I am not a big camera guy, I take maybe 5-10 pics a week. My wife and daughter and HUGE camera people, they take hundreds of pics a month.

My issue with this camera is that I can not get a clear pic. The lack of focus by tapping the screen, like on the GS3, is bad. The phone decides what to focus on. I have been trying to get a pic of my Dog. She is always blurry. On my galaxy, I tapped the screen, the green box appeared, and the software focused on just what I needed, I got a decent pic.

With this phone, I can't get a shot. She is blurry every time. EVERY time.

My wife and Daughter both are tired of Touchwiz like me. I almost went with an iPhone. My daughter went with an iPhone because of the small form factor. My wife is going with the LG G2 or the new Xperia iZ, or the iZ mini.

They both wanted the Moto X, loved the speed, loved the form factor, loved the weight, but could not get passed the pitiful camera on this phone.

This camera sucks. If it had the ability to focus, it could be saved. It takes good enough pics of still objects. I have taken off my fanboi glasses, I can not give this camera more than a 5/10. Add it to the disappointing battery life (sorry guys, 3 days now, 14 hours, 3 hours of screen time is not any better than my GS3), and this phone has an issue.

Googlerola needs to do something with this camera, and fast.

EDIT: My Wife and daughter do not use just a phone for pics. They have very expensive camera (my wallet aches when they go to the camera store) equipment. The phones are just for pure spontaneous stuff, as those big cameras they use can't even be put in a pocket. I have no idea what kind of camera they are. They are big, the lenses come off, the lenses are huge tubular things.

It has tap to focus option ..it focuses on the spot where You tapped and takes the picture ..HDR also helps if you are taking pictures of stationary object s ..and x is the best phone camera out there capable of taking very good action pics Without blur

Posted via Android Central App

slave

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
It has tap to focus option ..it focuses on the spot where You tapped and takes the picture ..HDR also helps if you are taking pictures of stationary object s ..and x is the best phone camera out there capable of taking very good action pics Without blur

Wow, look I love this phone too. I really do, but what you just posted is straight up bull****.

jimbo1mcm

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like the OP really wants to like this phone. Not to be crazy, but my S4 came with a VERY thin plastic lens covering that I only found out via the forums. Assuming that is taken care of, perhaps the focus is not working properly. OP should return it and get another one, or at least compare it to another one, side by side. Good luck. Sounds like a nice phone.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Wow, look I love this phone too. I really do, but what you just posted is straight up bull****.

It does have tap to focus that's not bull sh it ..and rest is my opinion after using this phone ..you don't have to agree with it

I remember watching a review were the guy went into settings in the camera interface and enabled "tap to focus" It seemed to work well after that. It simultaneously focused and took the picture. I don't think the reviewer cared for it, because he wanted the abilty to do the focus separately. I'm not sure if this is what's going on with the OP Moto X, just thought I'd mention it in case it might help. I'm even less of a camera guy so, I have no clue.

slave

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Okay, I just found an APK for the Android 4.3 camera. It installs. MUCH MUCH improved! I found it on XDA. That camera has tap to focus, it has a much more robust autofocus, and has photosphere also. It supports the HDR from the Moto X.
In other words, software can fix this garbage fail camera. It is pure software related. If you all want nicer pics, go grab up the 4.3 camera, you might be very happy.

bp3dots

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
Okay, I just found an APK for the Android 4.3 camera. It installs. MUCH MUCH improved! I found it on XDA. That camera has tap to focus, it has a much more robust autofocus, and has photosphere also. It supports the HDR from the Moto X.
In other words, software can fix this garbage fail camera. It is pure software related. If you all want nicer pics, go grab up the 4.3 camera, you might be very happy.

The camera it comes stock with has tap to focus. You just have to turn it on... It's in the settings.

tonymhoffman

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Add it to the disappointing battery life (sorry guys, 3 days now, 14 hours, 3 hours of screen time is not any better than my GS3) .

You got that with a GS3? That's IMPRESSIVE. Mine, my brothers and my buddies couldn't last 4-5hrs on standby let alone getting 3 hrs on screen at 11hrs being standby. Care to post a SS of that?

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, the complaint we've heard about the tap-to-focus option on the Moto X is the fact that it takes the picture immediately after it focuses. Some people like to focus and then tap again to take a picture.

But it is there nonetheless. I know cuz I seen'd it.

CSI Guy

Feb 25, 2009
Visit site
If you have muted colors, just download "Photo Editor" and in less than 5 seconds you will have beautiful saturated colors. Just move the sliders to your satisfaction. Done, now great looking pics on the Moto X. This is a free and very simple app to use.

slave

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
You got that with a GS3? That's IMPRESSIVE. Mine, my brothers and my buddies couldn't last 4-5hrs on standby let alone getting 3 hrs on screen at 11hrs being standby. Care to post a SS of that?

4-5 hours total on a charge?? Come on now. I dislike TW as much as the next guy, but for real, 4-5 total hours? I don't need screen shots (I sold the phone), anyone who uses a GS3 can tell you that they get more than 4-5 hours on a charge.

CSI Guy

Feb 25, 2009
Visit site
OK having played with the built in photo editor in the Camera app, it does a great job of bring out colors and saturation. It even has sharpness and curves. So I think the is a very workable situation and gives nice results. So yes the Moto-X is a keeper.

dwd3885

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I agree with the OP. Have had the phone since day 1. The camera is not good. The S4 has the much better camera. Not even close. I wanted to love the X and its a great phone but I can't handle the camera.

The colors are not good on it. With my wife's S4 and my X side-by-side its just no contest. I have to borrow her phone to take shots.

At least we have choice. Google Edition S4 I think is the way to go for me anyway.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
While the camera is not everything it is important to me. I dumped the Nexus 4 due to the camera. My S4 takes superb pictures especially if your use the correct mode. My S4 Google Editon is not as good as the S4 but pretty good. I have owned two Motos and both cameras were meh.

Just downloaded the Moto X camera apk today and did not like it. Deleted it. I'll stick with my S4's for now.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unirockers