The camera will sink this phone...

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I really want a Moto X to use as my primary phone, but I think I'd notice the difference in photos too much. The camera and display combination of the One is great, and I've been taking more and more photos since I got it.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I definitely agree with this. There's a fine tuning application in the phone to make those shots look exactly as you want them to look.

I think the question or point is, to put it explicitly, is this fine tuning or "skill" more necessary with the X than it is with other premier devices?

Sent from my Xperia Z tab

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I don't know why Moto seems to have trouble with the cameras in their phones. I once had the Droid Razr and Razr Maxx and the cameras were dissapointing too.

Sent from my humble S4

When I had the Motorola Xoom, it had the best cameras on a tablet that I've seen. You would think they would be capable of putting that in the phones. Hopefully they can fix it with a software update. I'm don't take many pics on my phone, mostly just stuff for Ebay, but I know a lot of people do. The camera is the one thing I keep hearing consistant negative reviews about. It they can fix it, it will really boost this phone because almost everyone seems to like it other than that.

flyingpylon

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I really like a lot of things about the Moto X (don't actually have one yet) but have to say that the camera results are making me hold off. They just seem so inconsistent. I have seen some great photos and a lot of terrible ones. In many photos there is clearly a reddish/purpleish/magenta cast and a lack of contrast. While it may be something that can be resolved in a software or firmware update, there is no way anyone can rely on that happening given both Motorola's and Verizon's history. Just very disappointing to have that mar an otherwise excellent device.

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
In don't really think a camera should matter in a phone at all. When it comes to the matter of purchasing one device over another, I'm going with the one that gets better reception, because without service, you basically have a mini tablet.
The camera ranks very low on my list when I am purchasing a PHONE. If you want to take professional grade photos, buy a camera instead of a phone.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

KentuckyHouse

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
In don't really think a camera should matter in a phone at all. When it comes to the matter of purchasing one device over another, I'm going with the one that gets better reception, because without service, you basically have a mini tablet.
The camera ranks very low on my list when I am purchasing a PHONE. If you want to take professional grade photos, buy a camera instead of a phone.

That's great, good for you, but the camera DOES matter to a great many of us and ranks very HIGH on the list when purchasing a SMART phone. For me, I use the camera on my phone constantly, both in my personal life and my professional life. I need a camera that functions well and take crisp, clear pictures. Unfortunately, it seems the Moto X just isn't cutting it.

I really don't understand people that come into threads like this and comment when their comment says or does nothing for the OP. Good for you...we now know the camera on your phone doesn't matter much FOR YOU. How does that help us again? Oh, that's right, it doesn't. It's just a "look at me" moment when you get to act like you're better than the OP because he's dissatisfied with his Moto X camera.

anicholas7

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
I too believe that the camera is an essential part of any phone. I rarely see people taking everyday pictures with a traditional camera unless they are professional photographers which tells me this is the future of the way pictures will be taken. Cell phone cameras have come along way and will continually get better over time where no matter what the conditions are you will be able to consistently take clear pictures. But with that said it can't be the sole reason not to buy a specific phone. All smartphones have good and bad features in relation to there cameras. Some work better in light some work better at night etc... So you have to also weigh other options when deciding on a phone like size, features, reliability etc.. For me this phone (which I will be getting tomorrow) seems to fit me better then any other phone. The pictures I took at an AT&T store seemed to be of high enough quality for me. I am not looking to blow up these pictures to frame them and put them on my wall but rather to once in a while view them on my phone or computer and show to family and friends.

snookasnoo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
The iPhone 5 is a year old and still is the best smartphone camera so expect the iPhone 5s camera to be even better. Camera quality in hardware and software is a priority for Apple.
I expect these issues to be fixed in software update but it really wasn't smart to release it wiht he camera in such a state. Every review I have seen, even the most fan boyish, have complained about the camera.

Just tried it for comparisons sake. The iphone camera is still head and shoulders above the Moto X/AOSP camera combo. The difference is just too staggering and it sucks because I really liked the Moto X. Here's hoping Motorola can fix it in software by the time the wood backs are ready.

Attached is the pictures I just took. Nothing special, just firing up the camera app and taking a pic. iPhone 5 on the left, Moto X with AOSP camera on the right. the Moto X does appear to have a wider angle lens BTW.

View attachment 79173

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

By that logic no one would ever own a smartphone at all. If you need internet access, get a LAPTOP and not a phone. If you need GPS navigation, buy one from Garmin instead of a PHONE. Buy a calculator. Personally, I don't want to carry 12 devices around with me at all times. That's why I bought a smartphone. Yesterday we had a massive moose walk into our Cabin property. I was able to pull my S3 out and grab some great shots and video of it before it was gone. Sometimes, you need a decent camera in your phone because you will have that phone everywhere.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
By that logic no one would ever own a smartphone at all. If you need internet access, get a LAPTOP and not a phone. If you need GPS navigation, buy one from Garmin instead of a PHONE. Buy a calculator. Personally, I don't want to carry 12 devices around with me at all times. That's why I bought a smartphone. Yesterday we had a massive moose walk into our Cabin property. I was able to pull my S3 out and grab some great shots and video of it before it was gone. Sometimes, you need a decent camera in your phone because you will have that phone everywhere.

This rant would have been lost on me, were it not for the moose. Well done :)

Nexus through spacetime.

xpeacemaker

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried changing the tap to zoom setting? I read in a review that turning off HDR helps increase shutter speed. Also read that the X should be better at taking action shots because it has a faster shutter speed.

Have you tried downloading the stock JB camera app? It's available on the market.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Just tried it for comparisons sake. The iphone camera is still head and shoulders above the Moto X/AOSP camera combo. The difference is just too staggering and it sucks because I really liked the Moto X. Here's hoping Motorola can fix it in software by the time the wood backs are ready.

Attached is the pictures I just took. Nothing special, just firing up the camera app and taking a pic. iPhone 5 on the left, Moto X with AOSP camera on the right. the Moto X does appear to have a wider angle lens BTW.

View attachment 79173

I'm not sure if you're just using the incorrect terminology, but the camera app on the X isn't AOSP. If you're in fact using the AOSP camera app then you're comparing the stock app performance on the iPhone to non-stock software on the X.

I just wanted to clarify that point in case someone else has not. If someone else has, then I apologize. :)

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure if you're just using the incorrect terminology, but the camera app on the X isn't AOSP. If you're in fact using the AOSP camera app then you're comparing the stock app performance on the iPhone to non-stock software on the X.

I just wanted to clarify that point in case someone else has not. If someone else has, then I apologize. :)

They're using the stock android camera.

Nexus through spacetime.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Pretty amazing when you can just hone in on one insignificant word of a post rather than address the meat of it.

It was claimed it was a hardware problem. It isn't. You tried to claim again that it was, because third party camera apps don't affect it. It still isn't.

The problem is with the software and firmware of the camera.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie