Almost purchased on Verizon Online...

nemov

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
I wonder sometimes when I'm purchasing something on Verizon whether or not they really want me to purchase the phone. VERIZON30 takes a $199 phone down to $139. Then they add an upgrade fee $30 and after "other fees" I'm back to $189 before taxes. Oh, I'm on unlimited data. I can get 4GBs of shared data for $10 bucks extra!

So I got to the last page and my credit card info was wrong. Since I was already experiencing buyers remorse I gave up. My Galaxy Nexus has signal issues and blows through the battery, but it still works and I can use as much data as I want (never more than 4 GBs).

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
thats not a good reason to not buy moto X.. my 6 years old feature phone works too but is it any better??. at least you dont have to pay 250 with no discount.

you can sell your Galaxy Nexus for $150 and all you are paying for better phone is $39

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
But he loses unlimited. Data.
thats not a good reason to not buy moto X.. my 6 years old feature phone works too but is it any better??. at least you dont have to pay 250 with no discount.

you can sell your Galaxy Nexus for $150 and all you are paying for better phone is $39

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
I didn't buy online because I wanted to talk to a rep about my plan. I managed to get offered a Loyalty plan ($60 for unlimited talk/unlimited text/2GB data, which is enough for me), but only a rep could add that plan to my line. Had I bought online I would have ended up paying $40 more for the same plan.

yazzinit

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
You do know that you can't get the subsidized $199 price with unlimited data, right? You have to either use the loophole of upgrading through Verizon on another line, extend that contract for 2 years and switch the phone to your line, or pay full price $599.

fierro951

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I saw the same thing. So $139.99 + a $30 upgrade fee + $47.99 tax on the $599 original price = $217.99!

That 30% coupon is almost like a "no-bulls**t" coupon. It at least makes me feel like I'm buying a product for $199 plus tax, and I can live with that after dealing with all the Verizon fees and full price tax charges through the years. Of course I'd like the device for $139.99 but I'm just dreaming. :)

nemov

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
Have you checked out the thread on how to keep unlimited data?

Yeah, but it doesn't work in my current circumstance. I wonder how long it is before Verizon just ends unlimited data? I don't consider myself a heavy user and me and my wife are using 2-4GB on average.

anicholas7

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
I purchased the phone on line Friday. Used the coupons to get $60 off the $199 price. The total after the $30 upgrade fee plus $14.66 tax came to $184.65. The $30 upgrade fee and $14.66 tax would have to be paid anyway if you purchased at a Verizon store so I think it was a great deal. As far as losing your unlimited plan that is true if upgrading that line but I used my wifes basic phone line upgrade and plan on switching it to my unlimited line in order to keep the unlimited plan. Then I have to see if I can transfer my unlimited line upgrade to the basic line to get her a new basic phone.

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
I do not know if I am being foolish or not. I can not make myself give up unlimited data, so I am waiting for the Dev edition and buying the phone outright.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
6GB for $30 is a good deal if the alternative is losing unlimited to get 2GB for $30 or more data for more $, that eats into the delta between subsidized and outright purchasing, + allows you to control the cash flows on the balance of the device.

The most cost effective solution depends on how much money you have up front, what you're getting and what you have to compromise on. For some people, losing unlimited is just not an option, in which case the device payment program and/or buying outright and/or add a line and eat an EFT are all possible options with different pros and cons for each.

If you're willing to lose unlimited, then exploring options that get you the most bang for your buck or the most bang for the least bucks or other considerations present a whole new slew of options to consider. It's all about what you want for your cash flow exchange and which options are more optimized for a particular scenario. With unlimited as a consideration, there are many compromises that have to be considered if one does not have a 2nd line on the account to flow upgrades through.

philly

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Gotta love buying online. I went with the HTC One but by having a dummy phone line I was able to upgrade and keep my unlimited data. Upgraded my girls line through amazon for $.99 and she got a droid DNA and never lost her unlimited data either. Best part is because of the dummy phone line I also have another upgrade October 1st and I have 2 unlimited lines. You people who go to the store because you think the inept VZW employees are going to help you are wrong.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Every time I see this thread I think it says, "almost punched a Verizon online..."

Nexus through spacetime.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital