RE: Loophole to keep unlimited data with Moto X.

anicholas7

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
RE: Loophole to keep unlimited data with Moto X.

I will not get into all the details on how to do it. That you can find in the Verizon forum but I wanted to give you my experience and what I was told by Verizon staff.
First I could not do it on my own through Verizon on-line. I tried but needed help right away so I called Verizon tech and they added the Moto X on the basic phone line I had.
Then I called back a few minutes later and they transferred the basic phone back onto the line freeing up the Moto X for me to add to my unlimited line. The tech then asked me what line I would like to put the Moto X on and when he tried to add it to the unlimited line it wouldn't go through. After several attempts I was told that the sim card is still active on the other line and I would have to wait up to 12 hrs before I could try again. Called back about 2 hrs later and the tech still could not get it to work properly but for a different reason. I was able to use the phone but no data (no 3G or 4G) signal showing and it still showed the basic line phone number on the phone.
Bumped me up to a level 2 tech and same problem. This tech knew what I was trying to do and said that's not the problem and that I would just need to go to Verizon and get a new Sim card.
Went to the Verizon store and had a new Sim card put it and that did the trick.
Now for the points of interest of what I was told by the reps.
1)The level 1 tech on the phone advised me that there was no guarantee I would be able to keep my unlimited plan. He said the computer system might notice that this phone was just purchased under a new 2yr upgrade (even though it was on a different line originally) and might knock my unlimited plan to the 2GB plan. He said I have 14 days to undo what I just did if that happens and I will revert back to unlimited. Stated that I should receive a letter in the mail before that time or I could periodically check the my Verizon web site to see if it has changed before the 14 day period. If this does happen to me I will definitely update this post.
2)The Verizon rep at the store told me that you have to get a new sim card whenever swapping phones from one line to another. I am not sure about that as others have done this whole process from there home computer but that is an option if all else fails.

Anyway if you are doing this don't be afraid to call Verizon and or go to the store for help as most know what you are trying to do and don't seem to care.

Last edited:

ManiacalMF

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Re: Loophole to keep unlimited data with Moto X.

Keeping my eye on this topic. This is what I was going to do come January when I'm eligible for an upgrade.

Jetster220

Dec 8, 2009
Visit site

Theres a much easier way, simply purchase it at full price through Iconic on Verizon. Done.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

I bought on contact via the transfer methodology and kept unlimited. 100% online except getting a sum from the store.

Nexus. Through spacetime.

tonymhoffman

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site

I bought on contact via the transfer methodology and kept unlimited. 100% online except getting a sum from the store.

It still blows my mind Verizon does that to you guys. I'm sure att will do it eventually as well.

Posted via Android Central App

JimBen73

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site

The rep at the Verizon store did all the switching for me when I bought my MAXX. no problems whatsoever...

Posted via my awesome, longer lasting phone than yours aka droid MAXX

philly

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site

Theres a much easier way, simply purchase it at full price through Iconic on Verizon. Done.

uh.. much more expensive way you mean. most people arent looking to pay 600 dollars for a phone..

I use my upgrades.. because frankly they help offset the high monthly costs of owning a cell phone. If you aren't using your upgrades.. and you are buying phones at full price and still paying the high monthly costs of a verizon phone line.. then you are pretty foolish.

besides it takes like two seconds to switch the upgrade over to a dummy line and can most of the time all be done in a few minutes with zero intervention from CS.

not to mention.. if I was going to buy a phone at full price it surely wouldn't have mid range specs and a 600 dollar price tag..

BigDogDVJ

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site

I had my phone upgraded on a dummy line and then switched to my primary line with the unlimited data plan. I've done this at least 3 times since Verizon introduced the tiered data plans. Each time the Verizon store rep has been extremely helpful. When I made the switch this time, they had trouble with the new sim cards that are in the new Droid/Moto X phones. They spent an hour or so figuring it out and what resolved it was replacing the sim that came with the phone with a new sim.

With all the complaints people have about Verizon, I will say that for me, this is one area that they've always been extremely helpful with and I still have my unlimited data plan. I wouldn't have it today if it wasn't for the Verizon techs in the store being as helpful as they have been. So at least for me, Kudos to them!

sunburned

May 1, 2012
Visit site

I used the loophole. Only issue was I had trouble activating the dumbphone back on its original line. It was saying the moto X was never activated on that line, but I was making calls and using data with it. Quick call to CS had the dumbphone activated and it only took a few more minutes to throw the moto X onto my line using the SIM card that came in it. I guess I could have used my old SIM, but it wasn't a nano.

ManiacalMF

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site

To those saying to buy full retail: it must be nice having truckloads of money. Living in the Bay Area on top of having a child, my wife and I do not have the +$1300 readily available to throw down on full retail phones for ourselves. So, yes, the loophole method is the best and cheapest way to upgrade our phones.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site

Does anyone know how this situation would work:

We have two lines that currently have upgrades available, however, we both have unlimited data and I'm not about to lose that. What would it take to start up a third line to get an X for $199.99, then cancel the data on that line and put a dummy phone on it? How much money per month would that be? If anyone has any info, I'd definitely appreciate it. I'm trying to loophole this bad boy and save me a booty load of money. Thanks!

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Does anyone know how this situation would work:

We have two lines that currently have upgrades available, however, we both have unlimited data and I'm not about to lose that. What would it take to start up a third line to get an X for $199.99, then cancel the data on that line and put a dummy phone on it? How much money per month would that be? If anyone has any info, I'd definitely appreciate it. I'm trying to loophole this bad boy and save me a booty load of money. Thanks!

Min 9.99 per month + taxes and fees = 12-15ish depending on location. Very close to the same price as starting it and then canceling with an EFT.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site

Min 9.99 per month + taxes and fees = 12-15ish depending on location. Very close to the same price as starting it and then canceling with an EFT.

But I have to have a phone active on that line, correct? And it can't be a smartphone? That would save me some serious money and allow me to keep my unlimited.

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

It still blows my mind Verizon does that to you guys. I'm sure att will do it eventually as well.

Posted via Android Central App

Att has throttling so I don't think ATT cares that much about unlimited as long as you are under 5gb a month.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

But I have to have a phone active on that line, correct? And it can't be a smartphone? That would save me some serious money and allow me to keep my unlimited.

Yeah any $.99 dump phone will do, keep it in the car for emergencies or whatever.

theobject

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site

I did the same with Verizon. Bought the Moto X as an upgrade on my son's dumb phone line upgrade. When the Moto X arrived I called Verizon CS, explained how I bought the phone and they just added the Moto X to my line with the unlimited plan. No muss, no fuss. No issue with Sim card or anything.

rlb

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site

How would keeping a dummy line be saving a lot of $? If it costs $12-15 per mo to maintain that line that is about $300 over the 2 yrs. That plus the $200 for the Moto X is $500 so you would save about $100 vs buying the phone for full price($600). Am I understanding this correctly?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

How would keeping a dummy line be saving a lot of $? If it costs $12-15 per mo to maintain that line that is about $300 over the 2 yrs. That plus the $200 for the Moto X is $500 so you would save about $100 vs buying the phone for full price($600). Am I understanding this correctly?

Yes. It's between $112 cheaper and $10 more expensive (for most consumers) (your state's taxes and fees are very relevant) than just eating the EFT, and more expensive than waiting for a sale or using a code such as VERIZON30 for 30% (pretty sure that doesn't work on full retail price) off to lower the price further, or waiting for a sale + gift card through best buy type solution, etc. The advantage is ... not paying that money up front and having a spare line for whatever you might need a spare line for. It also gives you more transferable upgrades in the future.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae