I take back every negative thing I've ever said about the Moto X!

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
I'm absolutely amazed, I have a signal in my building at work.

The radios for the Moto X seem to be pretty awesome in comparison to my old Galaxy Nexus. I spend time in one room at work where my Galaxy Nexus would get no cellular signal and the phone would also struggle to hold onto a wifi connection, so my battery would usually end up dying about 30% over two hours. I'd end up leaving work with about 30-40% of battery left. With the Moto X, I'm leaving work now with about 70%. I'm loving this experience so far.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
The radios for the Moto X seem to be pretty awesome in comparison to my old Galaxy Nexus. I spend time in one room at work where my Galaxy Nexus would get no cellular signal and the phone would also struggle to hold onto a wifi connection, so my battery would usually end up dying about 30% over two hours. I'd end up leaving work with about 30-40% of battery left. With the Moto X, I'm leaving work now with about 70%. I'm loving this experience so far.

That's what I upgraded from as well.

pblakk

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
I messed with the X and admittedly that thing is very comfortable in the hand. For the heck of it I found the One to be heavy and annoying.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AC Forums mobile app

hokiesteve

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
Nor am I doubting that. Moto pretty much shot themselves in the foot with the Verizon/Droid deal.

I don't think the are shooting themselves in the foot necessarily. I suspect the droid deal keeps the cash flowing into the company while they continue to work on their own carrier independent devices like the moto x.

Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I don't think the are shooting themselves in the foot necessarily. I suspect the droid deal keeps the cash flowing into the company while they continue to work on their own carrier independent devices like the moto x.

But that was the whole thing. They had a contract with Verizon. Exclusive deals like this are really not a smart move.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Agreed. Remember how the iPhone used to be exclusive on AT&T and was notorious for bad call quality?

Along with the forced switch to another carrier. I can't afford Verizon or AT&T. I consistently use roughly 4-6 GB of data per month. I can't switch carriers due to a device.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Agreed. Remember how the iPhone used to be exclusive on AT&T and was notorious for bad call quality?

that was crazy. My friend's were all: "love my iPhone, it's so cool". And they all had cracked screens and crackly voice service. lol. I was all, yeah, great phone.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Along with the forced switch to another carrier. I can't afford Verizon or AT&T. I consistently use roughly 4-6 GB of data per month. I can't switch carriers due to a device.

Phones like the GS4 and HTC One are better deals for everyone because as they're on all major US carriers, customers don't have to switch carriers just to get that ONE phone they want.

hokiesteve

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
But that was the whole thing. They had a contract with Verizon. Exclusive deals like this are really not a smart move.

I do agree with you that carrier exclusive deals are a bad deal for consumers, especially on flagship devices (I.e. motomaker on at&t). However, the droid brand has always been a Verizon exclusive brand that was initiated by the carrier. This exclusivity deal is that moto will be the only provider of droid devices whereas before other manufacturers like HTC made droid devices for Verizon. I don't think that will harm consumers a whole lot.

Frankly, I wish Verizon would just kill off the brand and get their hand out of device design.

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
All the carriers are so full of crap they're finding it difficult to differentiate how full of crap they are. The deal only proves Verizon is king of Full of Crap Mountain.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I agree about the exclusivtity being bad for consumers. It did give me an excuse to switch back to At&t from Tmobile though. This phone just keeps getting better and better. With all the upcoming phones coming out, I hope the idea of this phone doen't fade away. Motorola and Google have really taken a big step forward with this phone as far as the smoothness and optimizations.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I agree about the exclusivtity being bad for consumers. It did give me an excuse to switch back to At&t from Tmobile though. This phone just keeps getting better and better. With all the upcoming phones coming out, I hope the idea of this phone doen't fade away. Motorola and Google have really taken a big step forward with this phone as far as the smoothness and optimizations.

The Moto X runs something that's very close to stock Android (or is it stock Android?) and has very little bloatware (your carrier might fit those crap) and has no gimmicky features that drag the phone to slow down. So, even for a phone with not-so-impressive specs, it's buttery-smooth.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I do agree with you that carrier exclusive deals are a bad deal for consumers, especially on flagship devices (I.e. motomaker on at&t). However, the droid brand has always been a Verizon exclusive brand that was initiated by the carrier. This exclusivity deal is that moto will be the only provider of droid devices whereas before other manufacturers like HTC made droid devices for Verizon. I don't think that will harm consumers a whole lot.

Frankly, I wish Verizon would just kill off the brand and get their hand out of device design.

Unless we see a new Epic or EVO, Verizon's pretty much the only one still in that game.

That said, the Verizon Motorola phones are probably what kept Motorola alive long enough to be bought by Google.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
The Moto X runs something that's very close to stock Android (or is it stock Android?) and has very little bloatware (your carrier might fit those crap) and has no gimmicky features that drag the phone to slow down. So, even for a phone with not-so-impressive specs, it's buttery-smooth.

To me the Moto x basically is stock Android, with a few Motorola features that are very useful. I've always been a fan of stock Android, which is why I like the Moto X so much. The big thing is, it runs smoother than the Nexus 4 or the Google editions HTC one and S4 IMO. This show me what stock Android can be.

TechTinker

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site

Well the Moto X is the first non-droid device thats not that bad. Defy, photon, electrify, none were top smartphones.

hokiesteve

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
To me the Moto x basically is stock Android, with a few Motorola features that are very useful. I've always been a fan of stock Android, which is why I like the Moto X so much. The big thing is, it runs smoother than the Nexus 4 or the Google editions HTC one and S4 IMO. This show me what stock Android can be.

The Moto X experience is the kind of experience stock Android should be. When I first got the phone, I wasn't wowed and thought this is pretty much like my GNex. The more I use it, the more I realize how significant this device is. It really is amazing what improved responsiveness does for the experience. One of the big things I've noticed is that the keyboard is much more accurate on this device. I suspect the lack of lag contributes heavily to that. Googlrola was smart to do what they did by refining the experience over just increasing the hardware specs.

The Moto X is the most refined Android device I've used both in hardware and software. I think it's actually caught up to iPhone in that regard. I think they will sell a lot of these devices, especially if the price drops as rumored.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1