File transfer to PC?

ied0135

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Again, I said this is another thread and got bashed for it, but I consider myself pretty good with electronics...yet again I can't figure out how to do something so ridiculously simple on this Moto X...

How do I connect to my PC so I can transfer pics off the phone to my PC? I did it on my Mac like it was nothing. WHY IS THIS HARDER? Haha.

Thanks for the help.

guesswhat_567

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Again, I said this is another thread and got bashed for it, but I consider myself pretty good with electronics...yet again I can't figure out how to do something so ridiculously simple on this Moto X...

How do I connect to my PC so I can transfer pics off the phone to my PC? I did it on my Mac like it was nothing. WHY IS THIS HARDER? Haha.

Thanks for the help.

I generally do it over Bluetooth ftp from my computer ..its pretty easy!

Posted via Android Central App

ied0135

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Well, I mainly swap pics to my work computer (no bluetooth built in) so I can email them to customers. I rarely do it at home. I've got the cable in, have it "connected as a media device" yet the computer won't recognize it and let me view the file folders.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
it should just work connecting to PC but sometime the settings might have changed.

settings-->storage-->Menu [3 dots]-->USB Computer connection-->MTP is checked

Note:USB debugging should be disabled(its disabled by default)

ied0135

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
it should just work connecting to PC but sometime the settings might have changed.

settings-->storage-->Menu [3 dots]-->USB Computer connection-->MTP is checked

Note:USB debugging should be disabled(its disabled by default)

Yup, that's the exact settings I have it on. Nothing. I've connected all my old phones to this computer just fine in the past...Don't get it.

also if that didnt work use app called Airdroid. it will let you transfer files when u are on the same wifi

My office is just out of reach of the CRAP wifi we have here. No go there either. Thanks for the help though.

Tim_Katarn

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
The other thing I've found is that Google Drive is incredibly useful for this purpose. I don't even have to plug the USB in. Google just got my business when the 2 years for free is up.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Yup, that's the exact settings I have it on. Nothing. I've connected all my old phones to this computer just fine in the past...Don't get it.

when you are connected go to device manager and look for Android under USB devices.

post screenshot of it. I think the drivers is installed as adb device. did you try any apps which install drivers for the device?

Rocketsaucev2

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Well, I mainly swap pics to my work computer (no bluetooth built in) so I can email them to customers. I rarely do it at home. I've got the cable in, have it "connected as a media device" yet the computer won't recognize it and let me view the file folders.

It's USB debugging enabled in developer settings?

Maybe use Google + to back up your photos then log in on your work computer

Sent from my XT1060

ied0135

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
I think the drivers is installed as adb device. did you try any apps which install drivers for the device?

No, haven't tried any apps. Just tried updating the drivers in this SS.

It's USB debugging enabled in developer settings?

Maybe use Google + to back up your photos then log in on your work computer

Ya developer settings in the only place I saw USB debugging. Disabled it a while ago. And then ya that's not a bad option, but was really hopping it could be easier than that. I don't have a very large data package so that could get costly.

JudH

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I use My Phone Explorer from the store. Does syncing to Outlook, customized syncing to select folders, manual file transfers, pc access to text messages and more. All via wifi, usb or bluetooth. Highly recommended.

Drak23

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm having this problem also. I downloaded the drivers for Moto X and installed (Windows 7 64-bit). All the suggestions for alternatives are great but I'm used to being able to plug my phone into a USB cable attached to my PC and use a file manager to quickly transfer documents, photos, data etc.

When I tap the USB "Connect As" option on the phone only two options are listed - "Media Device (MTP)" and Camera (PTP). On my Droid Razr Maxx there was an option for "USB Mass Storage"

I'll try rebooting the computer ...

ied0135

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
I use My Phone Explorer from the store. Does syncing to Outlook, customized syncing to select folders, manual file transfers, pc access to text messages and more. All via wifi, usb or bluetooth. Highly recommended.

Thank you thank you thank you. Worked perfectly. Seems odd this is the only way I'm getting mine to work, but at least it works. Thanks a bunch man!

Pollster

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm having this problem also. I downloaded the drivers for Moto X and installed (Windows 7 64-bit). All the suggestions for alternatives are great but I'm used to being able to plug my phone into a USB cable attached to my PC and use a file manager to quickly transfer documents, photos, data etc.

When I tap the USB "Connect As" option on the phone only two options are listed - "Media Device (MTP)" and Camera (PTP). On my Droid Razr Maxx there was an option for "USB Mass Storage"

I'll try rebooting the computer ...

I had this same issue, and the suggestion which worked for me was the most ridiculous sounding one.
Is your Windows Media Player up to date?

akhi216

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
The other thing I've found is that Google Drive is incredibly useful for this purpose. I don't even have to plug the USB in. Google just got my business when the 2 years for free is up.

This would be a good method.

Sent from my Moto X via Android Central app

Drak23

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
I just got off with Motorola support. According to the tech I spoke with, USB mass storage mode (as we knew it) is effectively removed from Android 4.2.2. You can still transfer files via various apps but the days of having your device show up as a removable drive in Windows for easy file transfers are gone.

The phone will still show up as a Device in Windows Explorer. You can open this and drag some kinds of files to certain folders. Not sure what the rules are, it let me copy an mp3 but would not allow me to copy an Office document.

I'm fully patched on my laptop but I will try "My Phone Explorer"

jlambeth1

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Fwiw, I'm running windows 8.1 developer preview at work and I installed the 64 bit drivers and rebooted my computer and my X was recognized immediately. I then transferred some files from my computer to my phone.