NFC Tags - Whatcha got?

ied0135

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
So I just got some NFC tags off eBay yesterday. 5 for $6.85. Dirt cheap and they actually work perfectly! I downloaded the NFC Task Launcher app (free) and got to work. So far I only have a couple setup. One right inside my door, where I hang my keys. With one tap it turns my wifi on, and BT off from using in my car. Click it again, it does the opposite for when I leave home and go back to my car.

The next one I have is on the side of my kitchen island, in a inconspicuous place that allows friends to tap it and automatically join my wifi. That easy. Nothing else. Then I since I used motomaker, I have the moto skip. It's quite a bit more finicky then the other tags, but still works great to unlock my phone.

Any other good ideas that anyone has?

asylvia

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
can you link to the tags you got? are they the motorola ones?

So I just got some NFC tags off eBay yesterday. 5 for $6.85. Dirt cheap and they actually work perfectly! I downloaded the NFC Task Launcher app (free) and got to work. So far I only have a couple setup. One right inside my door, where I hang my keys. With one tap it turns my wifi on, and BT off from using in my car. Click it again, it does the opposite for when I leave home and go back to my car.

The next one I have is on the side of my kitchen island, in a inconspicuous place that allows friends to tap it and automatically join my wifi. That easy. Nothing else. Then I since I used motomaker, I have the moto skip. It's quite a bit more finicky then the other tags, but still works great to unlock my phone.

Any other good ideas that anyone has?

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Tasker makes anything possible. If you play with Tasker and get some really cool tags, be sure to share them here.
My plan, once I get around to actually getting some NFC tags and thinking of something useful, is to put one on my key chain and then have it do different functions depending on the context. So if I'm at home scanning it would do something different than if I'm at work or at the grocery store or any other crazy combination of states or locations.

ied0135

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
My plan, once I get around to actually getting some NFC tags and thinking of something useful, is to put one on my key chain and then have it do different functions depending on the context. So if I'm at home scanning it would do something different than if I'm at work or at the grocery store or any other crazy combination of states or locations.

I have a buddy trying to get ONE TAG inside his door do the following: Turn on wifi, turn on a lamp, his TV, and the channel to ESPN.

Scary thing is, he's almost got it. Just has to keep messing with the app and getting the task written right. I even wonder if the channel thing is possible yet, but he's sure trying haha.

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I have a buddy trying to get ONE TAG inside his door do the following: Turn on wifi, turn on a lamp, his TV, and the channel to ESPN.

Scary thing is, he's almost got it. Just has to keep messing with the app and getting the task written right. I even wonder if the channel thing is possible yet, but he's sure trying haha.

If he has the right stuff hooked up to his entertainment system it sure is possible.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site

That is very cool. I'm looking forward to using my phone for home automation. My point is you can use that exact same tag to turn off WiFi and Bluetooth and silence your phone if you scan it at work or that exact same tag to skip to the next song if you're connected to your car's Bluetooth or use that exact same tag to send a text to your buddy that he's out of beer if you're at his house and it's after 10pm. You can make the one tag do different things depending on where you are or what you're doing. He could use one tag to turn that stuff on when he gets home from work and then that same tag to turn on different lights and go to a different channel when he wakes up.

ied0135

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
That is very cool. I'm looking forward to using my phone for home automation. My point is you can use that exact same tag to turn off WiFi and Bluetooth and silence your phone if you scan it at work or that exact same tag to skip to the next song if you're connected to your car's Bluetooth or use that exact same tag to send a text to your buddy that he's out of beer if you're at his house and it's after 10pm. You can make the one tag do different things depending on where you are or what you're doing. He could use one tag to turn that stuff on when he gets home from work and then that same tag to turn on different lights and go to a different channel when he wakes up.

How does the tag know where you are or what time of day it is to do so then?

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
How does the tag know where you are or what time of day it is to do so then?
It doesn't, but Tasker does. You can use use NFC tags to trigger tasks in Tasker. You use the NFC tag to trigger a task in Tasker that launches other tasks depending on what profiles are active.

The language in Tasker can be confusing, so I'll try to put it another way as well.

In other words, you'll scan your tag and it will run "actions" that are grouped together as a "task." If you're familiar with programming, a task is like a subroutine. The task the NFC tag runs will run a different task/subroutine depending on which "profile" is active, probably by using a bunch of IF statements. Profiles are either active or inactive and are activated by "contexts." A context is something like you being in a specific location, your phone being connected to a certain WiFi router, it being a certain time of day, whether or not your phone is charging, whether or not your screen is on...stuff like that. So you can pick any combination of these contexts to let your NFC task know what other task to run.

The actions are stored on your phone rather than on the tag itself. You can actually accomplish the same thing with a widget on your lockscreen or by doing something like shaking your phone while it's unlocked, but that's not as cool as using an NFC tag.

ied0135

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Ahhh gotcha. That does make sense. I saw the option to have multiple different profiles, and now I see the reason why. You can just switch profiles and use one tag, instead of having 4 tags on the same area of your house.

Genius.

vor

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Any limits on which NFC tags the Moto X is compatible with? I've seen some reviews saying ones over 512k are not compatible with Nexus phones? Any issues like that with the X?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC