09-11-2013 03:55 PM
35 12
tools
    The developers are here: https://play.google.com/store/apps?hl=en
    09-07-2013 10:43 PM
    I had the Atrix 4G on ATT when it first came out... back then I was disappointing when the lock BT.

2.5 years later, Moto still locked this BT due to ATT; but this time I was not disappointed; and rather prepared it would never be unlocked by devs... but im okay with it

why?

because for me, I just wanted a stock experience, and the Moto X is stock as far as I am concerned. A small bit of bloatware, and I have to see the annoying icon... but the phone is fast. I think most people wanted to root because to get away from Sense, TW, and Motoblur.... and the Moto X has no custom loader; thank God.

But if a locked BT is that big of a deal for the purchaser, then get a T-Mo verison/ a DEV edition, or wait for the next Nexus device.
    having had a nexus for 1.5 years, i'm pretty sure that stock experience includes free wifi hotspot with unlimited data, ad-blocking on free apps, titanium backup of app data, and being able to nandroid and restore your whole phone so you can do whatever you want with it worry free. not just the absence of a carrier skin.
    09-07-2013 11:06 PM
    having had a nexus for 1.5 years, i'm pretty sure that stock experience includes free wifi hotspot with unlimited data, ad-blocking on free apps, titanium backup of app data, and being able to nandroid and restore your whole phone so you can do whatever you want with it worry free. not just the absence of a carrier skin.
    Those are benefits of root and a custom recovery, not of stock Android.
    09-07-2013 11:13 PM
    Those are benefits of root and a custom recovery, not of stock Android.
    yes benefits of root, which is available on stock android. Are there any stock android devices (think nexus and gpe edition phones) that do not give the option of root/booloader unlock? no. the options present in android are part of android, not separate, just as the option to turn on auto rotation is part of android, though it may not be turned on by default.
    09-08-2013 01:18 AM
    The Dev Edition Moto X will have an unlocked bootloader, but not stock Android. The Rogers Moto X is rooted, but does not have stock Android. Plenty of Android devices in the past have been rooted without stock Android.

What argument are you trying to make?
    09-08-2013 01:25 AM
    yes benefits of root, which is available on stock android. Are there any stock android devices (think nexus and gpe edition phones) that do not give the option of root/booloader unlock? no. the options present in android are part of android, not separate, just as the option to turn on auto rotation is part of android, though it may not be turned on by default.
    The GPE devices aren't stock android in the Nexus sense, they're Sense and TouchWiz firmware heavily molded to fit the stock look/feel and to provide similar options. A custom recovery is not part of stock android by any means, and root alone provides very little use without third party applications unless you are using yourself as a development device. Being able to unlock and/or root a device is kinda sorta part of Android philosophy, but the listed items, Titanium backup, ad blocking and a custom recovery are not provided by Google at all. Stock Android ends at the device out of the box + updates they send to it. Anything you add or modify makes it different and thus not stock. That includes any custom recovery, custom kernel, any firmware modifications, etc.
    09-08-2013 01:45 AM
    The GPE devices aren't stock android in the Nexus sense, they're Sense and TouchWiz firmware heavily molded to fit the stock look/feel and to provide similar options. A custom recovery is not part of stock android by any means, and root alone provides very little use without third party applications unless you are using yourself as a development device. Being able to unlock and/or root a device is kinda sorta part of Android philosophy, but the listed items, Titanium backup, ad blocking and a custom recovery are not provided by Google at all. Stock Android ends at the device out of the box + updates they send to it. Anything you add or modify makes it different and thus not stock. That includes any custom recovery, custom kernel, any firmware modifications, etc.
    didn't know the part about the gpe devices, good to know, but it doesn't change the point. see i don't want to install a custom kernel or firmware modifications. and hotspot is part of stock android. the verizon subscription check is not stock, however.

the point we disagree on i guess is whether being able to use root apps is part of android. i think it is even though the apps aren't part of the OS, what is part of the OS is the support for those apps. But it's ok if we disagree, think we're splitting hairs at this point, and everyone's entitled to a reasoned opinion.
    09-08-2013 12:09 PM
    Careful waiting for that. Motorola's been pretty bad about hardware locking phones. And just going by Moto software I've used the developers are almost a figment of our imaginations. They vanish like smoke when software problems appear.
    09-11-2013 02:39 PM
    FYi the verizon moto x has achieved temporary root

Verizon Moto X gets temporary root

may just be a matter of time?
    09-11-2013 03:34 PM
    Besides just for the fun of doing it, my main reason for rooting and installing custom roms is when the phone has Touchwiz , Sense and bloatware on it. I've had every Nexus phone since the Nexus One and only rooted one of them. When I do root a phone and install a custom rom it's almost always Cynogenmod or AOKP. I did try Trickdroid and that was cool.

I just like stock Android and the Moto X is pretty much that and, it does stock Android well. There are some advantages of root however.
    09-11-2013 03:55 PM
35 12