A mind of its own...

dgsull

Jan 6, 2010
Visit site
Yesterday my Moto X was in my pocket while riding around a bumpy golf course with Active Notifications turned on. I heard a different ringtone coming from my phone and found it on the ringtone changing screen. Later I checked the time and somehow it had switched to 24-hour time. My only explanation is these things happened somehow through Active Notifications, so I turned it off. Any ideas? (I've had no other issues, love the phone!)

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
This is not supposed to happen. We've heard several complaints of the Active Notifications screen turning on while pocketed, but Motorola has said that the phone should recognize when its in your pocket and keep the screen OFF, even if you get an alert.

You can try a factory reset, or call Moto/carrier and see what they can do for an exchange. Maybe you've got faulty proximity sensors.

guesswhat_567

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Ya prox sensor is used to detect in pocket and it does that ..but the problem with proximity sensor is ..as the name suggests face of the screen has to be really in proximity to your
clothing ..may with few cms ..its possible if you are not wearing jeans and have big pockets its possible that phone does not detect in pocket correctly specially if you are sitting. I dont think this problem is specific to your phone

Yesterday my Moto X was in my pocket while riding around a bumpy golf course with Active Notifications turned on. I heard a different ringtone coming from my phone and found it on the ringtone changing screen. Later I checked the time and somehow it had switched to 24-hour time. My only explanation is these things happened somehow through Active Notifications, so I turned it off. Any ideas? (I've had no other issues, love the phone!)

hokiesteve

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
I've had this issue too. I think it has to do with the Active Notifications. A lot of crazy behavior can be avoided by making sure there's a lock screen, but I noticed that it went into the emergency dialer at one point today. I suspect this happens with larger pockets and/or bright sunlight.

Last edited:

phositadc

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site

Has happened to me with my Mini as well. I turned off active notifications and am just using the notification LED. too bad the X doesn't have an LED.

-Sent from my Droid Mini.-

hokiesteve

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
By the way, I ended up contacting customer support to file a problem report. I'd suggest anyone experiencing this issue to do the same so that it gains the attention of Motorola. I'm guessing the software that detects whether the phone is in your pocket isn't quite optimal and needs some tweaking.

Needless to say, I'm turning off active notifications if I walk outside and I've made sure the pin lock is active at all times when asleep.

hockeydude35

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
I've had this issue too. I think it has to do with the Active Notifications. A lot of crazy behavior can be avoided by making sure there's a lock screen, but I noticed that it went into the emergency dialer at one point today. I suspect this happens with larger pockets and/or bright sunlight.

Do ya'll not keep your phones screen turned inward, towards your thigh??? Leaving the phone pocketed with the screen facing out seems like it would be asking for trouble.

hokiesteve

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
Do ya'll not keep your phones screen turned inward, towards your thigh??? Leaving the phone pocketed with the screen facing out seems like it would be asking for trouble.

Both times my phone was turned inward and with the top of the phone(where the light sensor is) down towards the bottom of my pocket. I don't know if it's light or the motion that's triggering it.

Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app

Gdwheel

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
I have had the same problem twice. It is embarrassing. I sent calendar invites once and text messages once. I had a lengthy email drafted, in my pocket, but fortunately it was not sent. I put the phone in my pocket facing inward. Turning off Active Notifications would really eliminate one of the primary features of this phone.

hokiesteve

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm convinced now it's a hardware issue. I've had it happen a few more times. I don't know if it's a touch screen issue or a proximity sensor or a combination of both. It's too sporratic to figure out. In any case, I'm taking advantage of the 14 day exchange window with Verizon and going to have it switched out.

Amylase453

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I was walking through a store yesterday when Google Music started streaming at full volume in my pocket. I'm not sure what caused this behavior but I, too, had it in my pocket with the screen inward.

Dregur

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
I was walking through a store yesterday when Google Music started streaming at full volume in my pocket. I'm not sure what caused this behavior but I, too, had it in my pocket with the screen inward.

Maybe Drive portion of Motorola assist came on? It's pretty sensitive, and it's default action is to turn on music. I've gotten Motorola Assist to activate when I was dancing at a concert and the act of sitting down. The good news is that it looks like it's learning, and I haven't had a problem since I told it I was "not driving" when it was mistakenly activated.

Amylase453

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Maybe Drive portion of Motorola assist came on? It's pretty sensitive, and it's default action is to turn on music. I've gotten Motorola Assist to activate when I was dancing at a concert and the act of sitting down. The good news is that it looks like it's learning, and I haven't had a problem since I told it I was "not driving" when it was mistakenly activated.

That's the first thing I did was uncheck that after I stopped it playing!

dgsull

Jan 6, 2010
Visit site
I called Verizon and they started by saying smartphones aren't meant to be carried in your pocket. (?) They also suggested just turning off Active Notifications (however the customer rep got the name wrong). Frustrating!! They said they haven't gotten complaints about this yet, but I'm sure they will. I don't want to switch the phone out, and there's no guarantee the new one will be better. Hopefully this is a software issue (with all due respect JungleLarry) and can be fixed with an update. I've got some time to decide whether I can live with this or not.

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Who needs Google Glass?

More on the topic at hand: my brother came over to watch Monday Night Football, brought his Moto X along with him. I told him about this issue and asked him if he was experiencing the same thing. He said no. Then we did a little test. He had his phone in his pocket, facing away from his leg, and I sent him a text message. His display did not turn on. He's wearing fairly thin ply cotton shorts, and when he put his phone in his pocket with the screen on we could see it through the material.

Somebody telling you smartphones aren't supposed to be carried in your pocket is just lazy. Hope you get it sorted out soon, because I'm regretting giving this phone to him and not buying one for myself.

hokiesteve

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
I called Verizon and they started by saying smartphones aren't meant to be carried in your pocket. (?) They also suggested just turning off Active Notifications (however the customer rep got the name wrong). Frustrating!! They said they haven't gotten complaints about this yet, but I'm sure they will. I don't want to switch the phone out, and there's no guarantee the new one will be better. Hopefully this is a software issue (with all due respect JungleLarry) and can be fixed with an update. I've got some time to decide whether I can live with this or not.

That is a pretty lazy response by the CS rep. I pushed a bit with the online customer service representative to have mine exchanged so she got the exchange process going but I ended up going to a store to exchange it due to the way online exchanges work. It turned out to be a lengthy process. I'll give this one a shot and see if I run into issues. If so, I'll probably take it back for good, eat the restocking fee and deal with my crappy old GNex for a bit longer.

JinOH

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Mine is also doing this. After only 4 days of buying it from verizon. It has opened numerous web pages(non of which are in my bookmarks). Started gps navigation. Changed clock format to 24hr. Killed incoming stock messages from posting text messages(that was the worst). And it keeps trying to report trouble for some program linked to gps. ALL WHILE IN MY POCKET WITH SLIDE LOCK ON! Granted active notification is also on (part of why I and likely you, bought the phone). I have yet to really add apps yet, so its still nearly stock. And while its only been mine since late last friday. I may trade it for another new one and see if it helps??

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol