04-20-2014 12:23 AM
32 12
tools
    FYI, I've measured "cheap" USB cables to have a resistance on the order of 3 ohms per conductor. That means that if you short it (i.e. zero energy at the phone side) the current will be below 1A. If the charger is at 5V, and the phone requires 4.5V, then the maximum current would be something like 83mA....

Anyway... Motorola claims that 0.5-1.5A charger is required and that the bigger the charger, the faster the charging. In my case I happen to have a 30A powersupply hooked up to my charging point. Should be enough, right? :-)

Anyway, it seems to be charging at around 12% per hour, or 8 hours for a full charge. Of course I can only see the charging rate on the phone itself, which means that when I'm looking the screen is on. Anyway, I would like to have it charge in say 1:15 using about 1.5A, How do I get it to do that?

Update: I've measured the current it is drawing: 470mA. In-spec for USB, but not the "fast charging" that should be possible with a 1.5A+ powersupply.
    04-03-2014 08:00 AM
    Something is defective in there somewhere. I haven't measured mine yet, but the factory power supply and M the cable I posted up will charge my device in 1.5 - 2 hours.

Posted via Android Central App
    04-04-2014 08:05 AM
    Just got my 1st smartphone, it's a Moto X bc it's the best verizon will do for android's sake, kit kat and very little verizon bloatware (after 6 years of a flip phone, holy crap can you imagine only JUST discovering all the awesomeness of smartphones?). Anyway I use my stock Moto X charger and cord into a dock which is just a female mini-b and a male mini-b where the phone sits up to face me, which is all the dock does, and that short inner cord isn't resisting much.

The stock charger has an odd amperage rating. It's 1150mA. Maybe the Moto X can take a little more than 1amp or they add the extra just for cord resistance or it's got something to do with having 2 plugs in it, who knows. I only empty (or less than 20%) my battery before I charge it and it always takes around 2 hours, prob a little less. I'll use a Monoprice $5 cord in the other plug (only 1 at a time though) if i need to use the phone while charging and don't really notice a difference other than it not moving much while i'm downloading or talking, of course.

Mostly just wanted to note the odd amperage on the moto x charger, see if anyone was aware of that or knows anything further, i'm still trying to figure out if i can go past it with 2.1A and if that'll shorten my battery life significantly (probably, if so).
    04-18-2014 01:10 PM
    The cord can make a difference trust me
    Get a OEM cord

I have also found this to be true. I have some cables from monoprice.com that do not charge devices as fast. Other cables that are "official" charge noticeably faster.

My Moto X charges pretty quick. I haven't timed it. It's a little slower than my iPhone but it's nothing to complain about.
    04-18-2014 02:26 PM
    I bought cheap cords and with screen on you can watch the battery lose percentage but with my official Motorola or samsung charger I can Pandora and whatever else and the battery goes up pretty quick still.

04-18-2014 03:14 PM
    Using the stock cable and charger plugged into the wall usually 2 hours from about 10% battery left. Lately I had it take 3 hours to go from 23% to 42%. I powered off waited 5 minutes turned it back on and it charged much quicker. Seems it's been happening more and more lately.
    04-18-2014 03:19 PM
    I get a good 30-35% an hour, usually charge up in the morning when I have about 25% left. I'm using the stock adapter with a charger cable from Monoprice, it was cheap with a lifetime warranty and gold plated.

04-20-2014 12:23 AM
32 12