12-27-2014 12:34 PM
266 ... 891011
tools
    google now worked flawlessly from day one. did siri? ill bet google now works better on iphone than siri, assuming it has all the bells n whistles as it does on android.
    youre comparing one phone to all of android. as if any brand new 1st generation phones never had issues?
    Actually, Siri has always worked for what it was designed to do. But Google Now is on a different level. It's great!
    10-01-2013 02:03 PM
    And the issues that you noted are pretty much all of them. Pretty good track record.
    I don't want to get into an argument of Apple vs. Android, but you're wrong. Those were a few issues that were well publicized and that I thought of without doing any research. Do a quick google search and you'll find all kinds of minor issues that aren't public knowledge.

I'm not gonna act like android is perfect or anything. Right now I'm dealing with the Moto X voice issues, and Verizon is sending me a new phone. I love every other aspect of this phone and hope that a new phone will fix my problem.

In my opinion, the major difference between Apple and Android is marketing. Both platforms have their issues, but Apple keeps pushing the "our phones are so great, they just work" angle, and everyone seems to buy into it even when there is evidence to the contrary.
    10-01-2013 03:35 PM
    please don't act like iPhones never have any problems. It simply isn't true
    Like i said I have never had an iPhone, and up till now have never considered owning one. So I have no personal experience other than looking over the fence and seeing how happy people seem to be with theirs. As for the iPhone 4 reception issues, you are referring to an older phone which in my opinion anyway isn't very relevant anymore. But if we are going to talk about the iPhone 4, although I am well aware of it's deathgrip or antennagate problems, people seem to still be blissfully happily using them even today with them being someone outdated... so i dunno... and also lets be reminded that the very relevent HTC ONE andriod phone, at least in some flavors anyway, notably sprint versions at the very least, also have these type reception problems. As for the Iphone 5 map problems, i'd take that ANY DAY over the reception/voice issues of the Moto X. AGAIN, my opinion, to each their own. I can tell you this: My son's Iphone 5s arrives sometime next week, and i am using it for the day first before even handing it to him, to see if I can make calls reliably from work as other iPhone users seem to be able to do (different carriers - yes, but that's why I will test (apples to apples - no pun intended) with his phone). If i can reliably make calls, something i haven't been able to do with various android makes and models over the past few years, then i will become an Apple Drone and join the masses.
    10-01-2013 04:10 PM
    Like i said I have never had an iPhone, and up till now have never considered owning one. So I have no personal experience other than looking over the fence and seeing how happy people seem to be with theirs. As for the iPhone 4 reception issues, you are referring to an older phone which in my opinion anyway isn't very relevant anymore. But if we are going to talk about the iPhone 4, although I am well aware of it's deathgrip or antennagate problems, people seem to still be blissfully happily using them even today with them being someone outdated... so i dunno... and also lets be reminded that the very relevent HTC ONE andriod phone, at least in some flavors anyway, notably sprint versions at the very least, also have these type reception problems. As for the Iphone 5 map problems, i'd take that ANY DAY over the reception/voice issues of the Moto X. AGAIN, my opinion, to each their own. I can tell you this: My son's Iphone 5s arrives sometime next week, and i am using it for the day first before even handing it to him, to see if I can make calls reliably from work as other iPhone users seem to be able to do (different carriers - yes, but that's why I will test (apples to apples - no pun intended) with his phone). If i can reliably make calls, something i haven't been able to do with various android makes and models over the past few years, then i will become an Apple Drone and join the masses.
    If you are happier with an iPhone, great. I think you just proved my point though. People claim that iPhones "just work", when really they have issues and defects like any other smartphone. And when they don't "just work", people tend to make a lot more excuses as to why their phone doesn't work. You mention the iPhone 4 being an old phone, but it had those reception problems when it was brand new. I'd say that is relevant. If you're looking for a more recent example, I've heard of at least a few different issues with iOS 7, one of which being that iMessage basically stopped working after certain people upgraded from a previous version of iOS. We can play this silly game all day talking about this iPhone or that android phone having this specific problem, but you'd only be further proving my point.
    10-01-2013 04:34 PM
    Almost all Moto X owners are blissfully happy with their phones so I don't really see your point.
    10-01-2013 04:58 PM
    If you are happier with an iPhone, great. I think you just proved my point though. People claim that iPhones "just work", when really they have issues and defects like any other smartphone. And when they don't "just work", people tend to make a lot more excuses as to why their phone doesn't work. You mention the iPhone 4 being an old phone, but it had those reception problems when it was brand new. I'd say that is relevant. If you're looking for a more recent example, I've heard of at least a few different issues with iOS 7, one of which being that iMessage basically stopped working after certain people upgraded from a previous version of iOS. We can play this silly game all day talking about this iPhone or that android phone having this specific problem, but you'd only be further proving my point.
    Oh i'm not trying to play a silly game or further your point or disapprove your point. I think my only point, however rambling it may come off, is just that i have exhausted myself with every Andriod phone out there and i am on my last stop with the Moto X, for which I have problems that i am desperate for a fixing for, all the while watching my seeming happy little IPhone friends, and it is frustrating the crap out of me and while waiting for my Moto to be fixed, and hearing of software updates that are out there that I can't seem to have, I start more and more looking at that iphone and it is starting to look better and better hence the reason for my original post that you originally responded to. Got that? lol.
    10-01-2013 05:01 PM
    Actually, the i4 never had reception problems, just signal strength drops. But not dropped calls.

Sent from my Droid using AC Forums mobile app
    10-01-2013 05:02 PM
    Almost all Moto X owners are blissfully happy with their phones so I don't really see your point.
    Then why this thread? I think most Moto X owners are very happy with all aspects of this phone but being able to make calls reliably which is why this thread exists.
    10-01-2013 05:04 PM
    I've tested this out on a few calls. We could not reproduce the issue in the OP.
    10-01-2013 05:10 PM
    Then why this thread? I think most Moto X owners are very happy with all aspects of this phone but being able to make calls reliably which is why this thread exists.
    Like I said, all devices have issues that some users experience. Go look in an iPhone forum and check out all the problems that they're reporting. I posted a link to one above.

As far as this issue is concerned, not all people are experiencing it and Motorola is updating the software for people who have.
    10-01-2013 05:28 PM
    Look...if you guys just prefer the iPhone over the Moto X, I have zero problem with that. My issue is with people nitpicking on Android phones while pretending that everything is sunshine and lollipops over in IOS-land. I've owned an iPhone before and a ton of my friends and family own them so I know that's simply BS.
    10-01-2013 05:35 PM
    Look...if you guys just prefer the iPhone over the Moto X, I have zero problem with that. My issue is with people nitpicking on Android phones while pretending that everything is sunshine and lollipops over in IOS-land. I've owned an iPhone before and a ton of my friends and family own them so I know that's simply BS.
    I want to prefer the Moto X. I'm trying. But it does look like the iPhone is almost sunshine and lollipops from looking over the fence which is making it hard for me... Maybe when I try out my sons soon to be received iPhone 5s I will feel differently. i will be sure to post about it...
    10-01-2013 05:48 PM
    whoa. i didn't intend to spark a debate in this thread regarding OSes (truth be told, my post last night was more of a rant, which no one quoted, so i deleted most of it this morning ).

i dig android, no doubt...i plan on using my touchpad running cyanogenmod until the battery refuses to charge. i appreciate that moto didn't suggest x owners were doing something wrong in simply using the x as a phone, and i appreciate that moto didn't simply ignore the problem. in sum, android is cool, moto is classy for pushing out an update relatively quickly...verizon on the other hand (no comment).

l8r (again).
    10-01-2013 07:12 PM
    Motorola VP punits soni did mention that sw update is rolling out to all carriers very soon. I dont think verizon update is months away. Its probably only couple of weeks away ..
    whoa. i didn't intend to spark a debate in this thread regarding OSes (truth be told, my post last night was more of a rant, which no one quoted, so i deleted most of it this morning ).

i dig android, no doubt...i plan on using my touchpad running cyanogenmod until the battery refuses to charge. i appreciate that moto didn't suggest x owners were doing something wrong in simply using the x as a phone, and i appreciate that moto didn't simply ignore the problem. in sum, android is cool, moto is classy for pushing out an update relatively quickly...verizon on the other hand (no comment).

l8r (again).
    10-01-2013 07:22 PM
    So nine days after announcement I now just FINALLY received my sprint software update. So far so good on the spotty reception front. I need way more time to test though. The definitive test will be from work, and that won't be for a few days. I will test and post back when I have the results. i will also compare against my son's iPhone 5s which should arrive next week.
    10-03-2013 09:38 AM
    Any word with the people with that have had this problem with the AT&T update?
    10-04-2013 07:52 PM
    Any word with the people with that have had this problem with the AT&T update?
    I imagine most people will confirm this tomorrow

Posted via Android Central App
    10-04-2013 10:35 PM
    Im on my second Verizon Moto X, both with the exact same problem. But just when I call my GF. (seems to be my phone, not hers, began the first call on Moto X)
    10-17-2013 04:53 PM
    You'll have to wait till Verizon released the OTA update. I'm on AT&T and have experienced no problems with voice cutting out since installing the update. Sounds like Verizon is the only carrier that hasn't released it yet.
    10-17-2013 06:41 PM
    I AM from Brasil. Bought my motox this week and also have this annoying problem. People are unable to hear me on normal calls... My company is Oi and signal bar is always full... Just to report...hope they release the update soon here
    10-17-2013 10:37 PM
    Signed up for AC just to post here.

I got the first (second!) Moto X from my local Sprint store on September 12th. The first unit they activated bricked in my hand after 3 swipes. That made me nervous but I was tired of my Evo Shift and this was the first phone in a while that I was actually interested in.

I've LOVED my Moto X! Until the past week or two. My voice began cutting out, just a little at first and I figured it was nothing. Fast forward to the last three days and it's nearly impossible to have a conversation. I downloaded the OTA update just a bit ago, my guess is that the OTA caused the problem with my unit. I've been to two Sprint stores and they were both clueless as to this problem.

So to answer the question of the Sprint update; no, it has not solved this problem.

Also, while I keep hearing how Motorola makes the best antennas available in a smart phone my Moto X always has a weak signal compared to my wife's iPhone and my old Evo Shift. The weak signal indicated hasn't translated into any problems but it is a curiosity.

I'm super bummed out and rather pissed at Sprint for not knowing anything about this / seeming to not give a crap about my issue.
    10-19-2013 09:57 PM
    Signed up for AC just to post here.

I got the first (second!) Moto X from my local Sprint store on September 12th. The first unit they activated bricked in my hand after 3 swipes. That made me nervous but I was tired of my Evo Shift and this was the first phone in a while that I was actually interested in.

I've LOVED my Moto X! Until the past week or two. My voice began cutting out, just a little at first and I figured it was nothing. Fast forward to the last three days and it's nearly impossible to have a conversation. I downloaded the OTA update just a bit ago, my guess is that the OTA caused the problem with my unit. I've been to two Sprint stores and they were both clueless as to this problem.

So to answer the question of the Sprint update; no, it has not solved this problem.

Also, while I keep hearing how Motorola makes the best antennas available in a smart phone my Moto X always has a weak signal compared to my wife's iPhone and my old Evo Shift. The weak signal indicated hasn't translated into any problems but it is a curiosity.

I'm super bummed out and rather pissed at Sprint for not knowing anything about this / seeming to not give a crap about my issue.
    That's weird. I have Sprint and had significant voice issues but as soon as I got the update it was fine although I think I experienced other issues after the update. Do you have the insurance? If so, call up Sprint and try explain to them they'll be able to hear the issue they'll mark up your notes and you can exchange the unit again in the store. I feel for you man cuz i feel the same way about phones out there as well, i don't like any of them. As for being pissed that Sprint doesn't know/care, If you don't have insurance and you're passed the 30 days it's my understanding Motorola is now responsible (especially since it was Motorola's action that turned your phone into a disaster).

Same curiosity here about the weak signal.

Good luck.
    10-20-2013 08:30 AM
    paisely99, thanks for the reply!

I have insurance on the unit and will take your advice to call Sprint. At my second store visit they couldn't replicate the issue (frustrating!) in the store. I have been so frustrated with this issue your thoughtful approach is most appreciated!

I mostly call from home and always mute the television so my problem happens with no background noise. I have two theories:

1) The noise reduction system is cutting out when there is no background noise, nothing to cancel. This would explain why it can't be replicated in the noisy store conditions.

2) My early production unit's NC microphones have a different sensitivity/calibration than the later units, causing the OTA update to wreck my calls.

Who knows. At any rate I'll continue to update the thread as I navigate this issue.
    10-20-2013 10:39 AM
    youre problem is with sprint. the lack of customer service and the fact they are "upgrading" their network for such a long time and almost every call i have made got dropped, made me move to verizon, and let me tell you, what a difference in the L.A area from sprint.
    10-20-2013 11:47 AM
    Started a new job on Monday and haven't had the voice drops since Sunday. Also haven't made any calls from my living room couch on the main floor of the house.

Call quality and signal strength are great from my basement, reception at 5-6 bars. Upstairs in my living room I get 1-3 bars. Completely bizarre.

Still love my Moto X.

10-22-2013 09:11 PM
266 ... 891011