12-27-2014 01:34 PM
266 ... 91011
tools
    Final update: haven't had the "voice drop" issue since original post. Am chalking it up to network problems on Sprint's end.

Reception in my office is poor and my signal strength indicator still shows stronger in my basement than the main floor at home. Weird.

The Moto X is brilliant in the car though and I'm still very pleased with my choice. Great battery life, bright screen and super responsive; it's a pleasure to use.

Thanks again for a great forum!
    weksa likes this.
    11-03-2013 07:35 PM
    Picked up a new Moto-X yesterday and immediately noticed how choppy the connection was when using the phone for the first call using the blue tooth in my car. Thought perhaps it was a bad hand shake between the car and phone since I had just paired it. Anyway, I updated the phone late yesterday and now things seem to be alright. Have not made many phone calls however. Have others found better voice communication since the software update?
    11-03-2013 10:04 PM
    A lot of people have reporting that the update has fixed the voice communication.
    11-04-2013 10:48 AM
    the new update has fixed the issue on my phone and have yet to receive any complaints. phone is now flawless, minus assist not working.
    11-04-2013 12:07 PM
    I had the X but I could not use it to talk to my kids or anyone else due to the cut out. I could hear them fine but I kept cutting out , thought it was network until I found this thread

Sent from my iPhone 5s on Virgin Mobile using Tapatalk - now Free
    11-04-2013 03:39 PM
    Have not had one complaint from others since I updated mine either.
    11-04-2013 07:55 PM
    Sometimes when I am talking to someone, my voice is echoing back to me in my ear.... Any ideas why it is doing the That? The other person isn't on speaker or blue tooth either.

Posted via Android Central App
    11-04-2013 08:15 PM
    I'm reviving this older thread because I'm on my 2nd Moto X and having this issue STILL. I made a final call on my 2nd Moto this morning and the person kept saying, "I'm sorry...what? I can't hear you". I was in a quiet area, full bars (supposedly), and I couldn't understand what the issue is. Then I switched to my old Photon and no problem. Motorola wants me to try a THIRD Moto X but I'm very hesitant. I mean, what is the point of a phone if you can't make calls? I know many love their Moto X, but this thread is also a valid "other side" of this phone.

Now I'm wondering if I should get a Nexus 5...or just nothing at all.
    12-24-2013 12:52 PM
    have u updated the phone yet??

the update before kitkat fixed this issue. i had the same exact problem until i updated then all the problems went away....
    12-24-2013 01:22 PM
    have u updated the phone yet??

the update before kitkat fixed this issue. i had the same exact problem until i updated then all the problems went away....
    I'm now on my 3rd brand new Moto X, I updated ALL three to KitKat, and the voice cutting out persists. Either I can't hear the other side, or they can't hear me (most of the time). Can't blame Sprint for this one, as I still have an active Photon (2.5 yrs old phone) and it works GREAT in the same exact location, no issues with phone calls.

I even did more research online and found the option to turn off Voice Privacy (Phone > Settings > Uncheck Voice Privacy) and it didn't help. I don't know what else is left to do, but I'm reading around the web on other Moto X forums and this is not only limited to Sprint, as users on all carriers are experiencing this.

I wrote Matt on Google+ with this issue and haven't heard back. I did see him discussing the issue with some users on the Moto X forum and he was saying maybe it's the screen protector or the phone case - neither of which I have on my phone! - but that's not a good enough answer, IMO. I mean, are we supposed to carry this phone around naked/unprotected, so we can make phone calls? That thread was back in September and since we've already had the OTA and it still hasn't resolved the issue of audio quality on this phone...I don't know anymore.
    01-04-2014 05:10 PM
    Motorola Razr HD here, I am in Colombia, South America and my company is Claro.
    Same hideous problem here. Most times my mic shuts 30 seconds after the call starts and I have to redial or called again. The ctting happens too but the worst is the complete voice shut which makes people think the call is over.
    I've been waiting for some kind of software update but haven't seen any. and for the forum I guess Motorola/Google is behaving as if it was not their responsibility
    So, next time I wont buy from them again, customer satisfaction is important and if they don't do a thing about it I have no time and money to waste getting mad at a cellphone problem.
    PS mine also freezes and no I don't have zillion photos, apps, music on it.
    01-09-2014 12:38 PM
    Are you on KitKat 4.4, that they claimed fixed many issues? Chris

Sent from my A200 using AC Forums mobile app
    01-09-2014 06:41 PM
    Same exact thing with my Rogers (Canada) Moto X. I have already brought it back and the replace the microphone, but i guess they didn't test it because it is still not working. I'm about to bring it up again with them, because this is ridiculous. Good thing I have an N5, but I love my Moto. 4.4.2 did not fix the issue.
    02-04-2014 02:58 PM
    Kind of curious, for those of you that are experiencing the voice cutting out issues, are you using screen protectors on your phones?
    Even if it is just the one directly out of the box? I have read this might be the issue, and noticed my Moto X packaged screen protector was SLIGHTLY off-centered. So, I'm going to adjust it and make sure the mic is completely clear and see if the issue continues.

If those of you that have had the voice cutting out issues, and you were using a screen protector, even the one out of the package like myself, it might be helpful to respond if you change it and it solves the problem.
    2120SoMichiganAve likes this.
    04-05-2014 11:06 AM
    Hey all, I just got a used moto x, updated to latest OTA software, and I still have this problem! For those of you that still had the problem after the Oct 2013 update, what did you do? Get a replacement phone?

update: I got a replacement phone and everything works fine. Turns out it was the hardware. I have a suspicion that the used phone I bought had its screen replaced, and it messed up the noise-cancelling features of the mics.
    09-03-2014 08:58 AM
    On 12/4/2014 I purchased a Moto X 2nd Gen 2014 Pure Edition through the MotoMaker Motorola website, so I assume mine is new. But I'm frustrated with the call quality as others here have described. The problem is intermittent. My callers on the other end complained of choppiness, a statically hissing sound, and low volume. The audio call quality is definitely an issue with the Moto X's. After debugging with my carrier, T-Mobile, we've determined the network is not a contributor. When I use my old Nexus S which does not have any noise cancellation features, call quality is fine. Getting replacement hardware (another Moto X) won't fix the problem in what's basically a software calibration issue. I can't believe we're here almost in 2015 and Motorola still hasn't fixed their noise cancellation firmware. Interestingly the Nexus 6, which has a more "pure" stock Android, doesn't appear to have this problem based on reports on forums.
    12-27-2014 01:34 PM
266 ... 91011