Voice cutting out on other end of call

Lo Graf

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
After trying 3 different Moto X's in the last week and a half all with the same cutting out issue, I returned mine and went back to my old phone....Sit back and wait to see if Motorola releases a fix for the problem. Going back to my old phone only confirms that I really want to end up with a Moto X.

billo14

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
The Moto X does not have Wi-Fi calling. As far as I'm aware, T-Mobile is the only carrier that offers it, but they don't offer it with the Moto X.

Gosh, I've been reading the user manual and there is a lot about WIFI connections. I can only point to those user instructions, but haven't gotten my unit yet. What a stretch if that manual is 'smoking something funny'!

MykelP

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
I just posted this over in the Motorola Owner's Forums under a discussion regarding the same issue:

Matt arranged a conference call today with some Moto engineers, me and another Moto X user. We did a lot of testing and the engineer that conducted the call was able to reproduce the clipping/cutting out problem just as described by me and users in this discussion. So that's good news because they are clearly aware of the problem and working on the issue. I was encouraged by the call and fully expect that a fix will be coming. Obviously they could not give an ETA as to when a fix will arrive because there are a lot of factors including testing the fix before it's release. However, I do believe they are treating this as a priority.

Postoid

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
I just posted this over in the Motorola Owner's Forums under a discussion regarding the same issue:

Matt arranged a conference call today with some Moto engineers, me and another Moto X user. We did a lot of testing and the engineer that conducted the call was able to reproduce the clipping/cutting out problem just as described by me and users in this discussion. So that's good news because they are clearly aware of the problem and working on the issue. I was encouraged by the call and fully expect that a fix will be coming. Obviously they could not give an ETA as to when a fix will arrive because there are a lot of factors including testing the fix before it's release. However, I do believe they are treating this as a priority.

Thanks Myke. I've been over at the MOF checking things out and as a future Moto X user, sounds like you've got the ball rolling.

billo14

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
Gosh, I've been reading the user manual and there is a lot about WIFI connections. I can only point to those user instructions, but haven't gotten my unit yet. What a stretch if that manual is 'smoking something funny'!

Could we hear from some of the experienced users out there about this issue of WHETHER OR NOT THE MOTO X IS SUPPOSED TO DO WIFI??

I'll add my web manual link address which covers the topic on page 50 of that online manual:

https://motorola-global-portal.cust...ect/1/filename/Xfon_UG_US_CA_68017460001A.pdf

Last edited:

shanhokie

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
I'm on my second Moto X. The first one was returned due to the phone calls cutting in and out. The second Moto X arrived yesterday and, unfortunately, it suffers from the same issue. All of my calls are cutting in and out. This is such a bummer because I love everything else about this phone. I am going to try one more return, and if the issues persist, I guess I will switch phones.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
With the massive amount of people seemingly dealing with this, you'd think it would get more playback on AC and the other sites. But none of them have mentioned it. I wonder why?

shaytoon21

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
so far i have only seen the verizon moto x's report this....is anyone on att having this issue??
my phone is so conditional now, some days people hear me perfectly fine, others complain im cutting off. i really hope this is a software issue that will be fixed asap.

anon(5716633)

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
Could we hear from some of the experienced users out there about this issue of WHETHER OR NOT THE MOTO X IS SUPPOSED TO DO WIFI??

I'll add my web manual link address which covers the topic on page 50 of that online manual:

https://motorola-global-portal.cust...ect/1/filename/Xfon_UG_US_CA_68017460001A.pdf

Of course the Moto X has Wi-Fi. It doesn't have Wi-Fi calling, though. There is nothing in the manual about Wi-Fi calling. Just to be clear we are talking about the same thing -- Wi-Fi calling is what allows a phone to make a VoIP call on a Wi-Fi network. That is what you referred to in your first post. The Moto X doesn't do that.

- - - Updated - - -

so far i have only seen the verizon moto x's report this....is anyone on att having this issue??
my phone is so conditional now, some days people hear me perfectly fine, others complain im cutting off. i really hope this is a software issue that will be fixed asap.

I tried the Moto X on AT&T and Verizon, and both had the issue.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site

I'm on Sprint and everyone i call is all: What? What?

(including the sprint reps i called to tell about the problem to get an exchange). Got an exchange, the new one cuts in and out as well.

guesswhat_567

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Guys calls over Bluetooth headset , headphones, speaker phone should not have this problem. you can use those until Motorola releases a fix ..

Posted via Android Central App

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Guys calls over Bluetooth headset , headphones, speaker phone should not have this problem. you can use those until Motorola releases a fix ..

Posted via Android Central App

I had a strange experience with the speaker phone. It acted like it wasn?t duplex. My sister was going on and on and I was trying to tell her something, as long as she was talking she couldn?t hear me. So either it?s a character flaw or a phone flaw, lol. I?ll have to find someone else to see if it?s the phone.

shaytoon21

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
ok so now im witnessing a specific trend with my phone. places i have more than 3 bars, people hear me clear. anywhere below 2 bars, is where i cut out to people. i always heard about motorola having great radio signals but whats the deal with this phone? :(

billo14

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
Of course the Moto X has Wi-Fi. It doesn't have Wi-Fi calling, though. There is nothing in the manual about Wi-Fi calling. Just to be clear we are talking about the same thing -- Wi-Fi calling is what allows a phone to make a VoIP call on a Wi-Fi network. That is what you referred to in your first post. The Moto X doesn't do that.

- - - Updated - - -

LucLee, thanks for the correction for me on the WIFI calling. All I can say is Google pretty well concealed that fact from me. I guess it is a matter of reading in what you want to believe, while they cleverly disguise things. This day and age of WIFI prolificacy and Google thinks that going without WIFI calling is acceptable. The phone is great, but the absence of that feature in these technological times is a show stopper for most, especially for me. I'm most apt to be a short timer on the android central blog.

clankfu

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site

- - - Updated - - -

What's the difference between native wifi calling and using an app like Talkatone or Groove IP?

billo14

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
What's the difference between native wifi calling and using an app like Talkatone or Groove IP?

A good tip. I think those programs are worth looking into and using. If I understand your question, those calls on those VoIP programs basically allow WIFI to make the call while not using any minutes from your cellphone provider. The calls are free. So 'native wifi calling' vs those apps are basically the same .... free calls.

Another chapter on this MOTO X phone is ......... after all the discussions I've had with Consumer Cellular, Portland, OR, they admit today that they don't have the required NANO chip, don't know IF or WHEN they might or might not get the chip. Consumer Cellular basically just leaves you high and dry if you have the MOTTO X. I bought the phone based on conversations with CC, now they don't even have the chip nor did they ever have the chip to activate the phone. The pits!

howdydoesit

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
they don't have the required NANO chip, don't know IF or WHEN they might or might not get the chip. Consumer Cellular basically just leaves you high and dry if you have the MOTTO X. I bought the phone based on conversations with CC, now they don't even have the chip nor did they ever have the chip to activate the phone. The pits!

There are tutorials online on how to trim a micro Sim to fit in a nano slot. The actual chip is the same size, it's just the wafer around it that's different.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk 4

childe18

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I just got my Moto X today. Friggin love this phone...

But I was just talking to my Wife and she kept saying "What? What? You keep cutting out."

Sigh... Has anyone had a replacement phone NOT do the same thing? This seems like a MAJOR issue.