Voice cutting out on other end of call

globster2000

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
This only partially true. Motorola has already updated the software on their end and sent it out to the carriers. It's now up to the carriers to tweak the software to their specifications and roll it out to their customers. T-Mo and Sprint have already done so and it sounds like AT&T won't be too far behind.

I have a feeling Verizon will rollout with the update before at&t.

Posted via Android Central App

guesswhat_567

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Actually, now that i think about it, i'm gonna have to. I hate to do that, i'm don't like the idea of opening an expensive product and swapping it out twice for some reason, but the earpiece was sooooo bad. I was waiting for a contract, i heard them wrong by $10K! lol. I was like "oh, no, i don't think so", lol. so bad.

Headphones help ..confirmed/read on moto forums , worth a try to help ease some frustration ..till the update rolls out to all ..

anon(5716633)

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
The Moto X is my favorite of all current smartphones, considering iPhones, Windows Phones, and Androids, but I'm not going to waste any more time on it with the Nexus 5 being so close. I'm actually using a Motorola flip phone now, and calls are great on it, LOL. I traded my iPhone 5 in on the Moto X knowing that if the Moto X didn't work out I could exchange for the iPhone 5S, but after using the Moto X the iPhone just isn't appealing anymore. So I decided to just use an old flip phone for now. With the Nexus 5 being so close, I might as well wait for it.

Brady KEITH

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
This is only partially true. Motorola has already updated the software on their end and sent it out to the carriers. It's now up to the carriers to tweak the software to their specifications and roll it out to their customers. T-Mo and Sprint have already done so and it sounds like AT&T won't be too far behind.

right!? i thought it sounded weird when the moto rep typed that the update would come from moto directly...but then the vzw rep said the same thing.

guesswhat_567

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
right!? i thought it sounded weird when the moto rep typed that the update would come from moto directly...but then the vzw rep said the same thing.

It comes from moto that's true ..moto submits the build to carriers ..carriers test it in there labs for few weeks ...if no issue are found carrier certifies the build and moto pushes ota's the build

tomatosouplabs

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
The verizon tech support person I'm in contact with also indicated any updates come from Motorola and she had no knowledge of if/when verizon gets it.

I went into another verizon store and made phone calls to my voicemail to compare. I listen to my messages later on a clear land line. This time they actually had an activated moto x. It sounds just barely almost as bad as the two I returned (if that statement makes any sense). In other words if that was the phone I bought, I would not be happy with it. It was noticeably worse than the Droid Ultra, S4, G2, and iphone 5s. If I had to rank them though in order of best to worst: S4, Ultra, G2, iphone 5s, moto x. I found the speakers to be weak on the iphone and moto x. The G2 and S4 were fairly loud and the Ultra was about in the middle. I would not read too much into my "ratings" here as it was one call per device and could be subjective and maybe signal fluctuations can have an effect and I was in a pissed off mood after hearing another bad moto x and this time as a DEMO unit. I wonder if any employees actually try making calls - maybe they only go by what they hear to make sure it works.

Other little things I noticed... moto x earpiece speaker sounds like it filters out higher frequencies so you get more mid range. It sounded cleaner but at same time a person with a high pitched voice may not sound "true" (anyone notice what I'm talking about?). Moto x speakerphone is louder (or mic input made more sensitive) to person on other end.

Other purpose of me going in the store was to reconsider any other phone I might get after rejecting the G2 and potentially the X also if the update doesn't fix what I'm hearing. It makes me really skeptical the update will fix something so significant and reproducible if in their update description they say sometimes you get choppy audio. This is not choppy audio that I hear or have a problem with. To me choppy audio is the voice is clear when it isn't chopped, and the voice is not there when it is chopped. Am I misunderstanding what choppy means?

Ambull

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
T-Mo and Sprint have already done so and it sounds like AT&T won't be too far behind

Hold on brother!!! Until we start actually physically getting those "sprint updates" don't give them credit yet for "rolling out" their updates... two days and 18,000 clicks and i still have no updates. I feel like Sprint tried to jump on the news bandwagon with this but with nothing to deliver. Think I impatient? Yup, maybe, but i take back none of my words...!!!

guesswhat_567

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
The verizon tech support person I'm in contact with also indicated any updates come from Motorola and she had no knowledge of if/when verizon gets it.

I went into another verizon store and made phone calls to my voicemail to compare. I listen to my messages later on a clear land line. This time they actually had an activated moto x. It sounds just barely almost as bad as the two I returned (if that statement makes any sense). In other words if that was the phone I bought, I would not be happy with it. It was noticeably worse than the Droid Ultra, S4, G2, and iphone 5s. If I had to rank them though in order of best to worst: S4, Ultra, G2, iphone 5s, moto x. I found the speakers to be weak on the iphone and moto x. The G2 and S4 were fairly loud and the Ultra was about in the middle. I would not read too much into my "ratings" here as it was one call per device and could be subjective and maybe signal fluctuations can have an effect and I was in a pissed off mood after hearing another bad moto x and this time as a DEMO unit. I wonder if any employees actually try making calls - maybe they only go by what they hear to make sure it works.

Other little things I noticed... moto x earpiece speaker sounds like it filters out higher frequencies so you get more mid range. It sounded cleaner but at same time a person with a high pitched voice may not sound "true" (anyone notice what I'm talking about?). Moto x speakerphone is louder (or mic input made more sensitive) to person on other end.

Other purpose of me going in the store was to reconsider any other phone I might get after rejecting the G2 and potentially the X also if the update doesn't fix what I'm hearing. It makes me really skeptical the update will fix something so significant and reproducible if in their update description they say sometimes you get choppy audio. This is not choppy audio that I hear or have a problem with. To me choppy audio is the voice is clear when it isn't chopped, and the voice is not there when it is chopped. Am I misunderstanding what choppy means?

Yes. It means the samething ..And yes it does not happen always and not everybody is experiencing this issue ..depends on lot of factors ..it depends from person to person and the environment around them..and its more bad on Verizon/sprint ( CDMA) than on att ..

clankfu

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Hold on brother!!! Until we start actually physically getting those "sprint updates" don't give them credit yet for "rolling out" their updates... two days and 18,000 clicks and i still have no updates. I feel like Sprint tried to jump on the news bandwagon with this but with nothing to deliver. Think I impatient? Yup, maybe, but i take back none of my words...!!!

I've read that some Sprint users have already gotten the update.

Brady KEITH

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
. . . Other little things I noticed... moto x earpiece speaker sounds like it filters out higher frequencies so you get more mid range. It sounded cleaner but at same time a person with a high pitched voice may not sound "true" (anyone notice what I'm talking about?). . . . Other purpose of me going in the store was to reconsider any other phone I might get after rejecting the G2[.]

regarding the earpiece: yes, i noticed. but, i like it...no "shrillness"/no "piercing" voices on the other end.

regarding the G2: (not to divert the thread, but...) why did you reject it? i am considering it as a moto x replacement.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
regarding the earpiece: yes, i noticed. but, i like it...no "shrillness"/no "piercing" voices on the other end.

regarding the G2: (not to divert the thread, but...) why did you reject it? i am considering it as a moto x replacement.

Mine's muffled. lol. Great.

tomatosouplabs

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
If you look up my posts I ranted ad nauseam in the G2 forums about going through 3 bad G2's and verizon doesn't have a clue what's going on with it but prob is on multiple carriers. Get digital screeching and chirping and stuff on speaker (receiving). Very loud. Get other types of weird distortions too like decoding errors. Happens in good or bad signal (but perhaps a little more in bad) and happens all through a call. If it decides to happen it'll happen near beginning, otherwise it won't and you'll have a clear call all through. That was my experience. Verizon manager said he'd never heard anything like it before on a cell phone. Makes it nearly impossible to have a conversation. Apparently only some people get this to happen. Other thing is 2nd phone I returned after a few hours because it overheated too easily.

globster2000

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
If you look up my posts I ranted ad nauseam in the G2 forums about going through 3 bad G2's and verizon doesn't have a clue what's going on with it but prob is on multiple carriers. Get digital screeching and chirping and stuff on speaker (receiving). Very loud. Get other types of weird distortions too like decoding errors. Happens in good or bad signal (but perhaps a little more in bad) and happens all through a call. If it decides to happen it'll happen near beginning, otherwise it won't and you'll have a clear call all through. That was my experience. Verizon manager said he'd never heard anything like it before on a cell phone. Makes it nearly impossible to have a conversation. Apparently only some people get this to happen. Other thing is 2nd phone I returned after a few hours because it overheated too easily.

Ouch... Bad day to get lg g2. What phone do you have now?

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
lol...you're cracking me up. that sucks dude.

yeah, i think this one has to go back. now that i think about it, ever since i got this one i've been fighting to hear and talk to people. i think this one really does suck. lol. Guess I'll go tomorrow and get it over with. I really can't imagine a software update taking care of this. And that feature i guess of taking the tops or high treble or whatever, off everyone's voice, that's not cool. lol. They're just too aggressive with some of these things, just like they are with their vibrations. smh.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site

Wow. moto's not seeming too bad right about now. lol.

guesswhat_567

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
yeah, i think this one has to go back. now that i think about it, ever since i got this one i've been fighting to hear and talk to people. i think this one really does suck. lol. Guess I'll go tomorrow and get it over with. I really can't imagine a software update taking care of this. And that feature i guess of taking the tops or high treble or whatever, off everyone's voice, that's not cool. lol. They're just too aggressive with some of these things, just like they are with their vibrations. smh.

Agree ..it's better to return and get over with it I'm sure you will have the same issue if you exchange it as well ..at least until the update ..no gadget is worth the frustration and thr stress impacting your health lol....good luck with your next device :)

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Agree ..it's better to return and get over with it I'm sure you will have the same issue if you exchange it as well ..at least until the update ..no gadget is worth the frustration and thr stress impacting your health lol....good luck with your next device :)

It's not a sacred cow you know.

And I disagree that every handpiece is as bad as this one, otherwise no one would keep this phone. probably not even you.

guesswhat_567

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
It's not a sacred cow you know.

And I disagree that every handpiece is as bad as this one, otherwise no one would keep this phone. probably not even you.

Just because the issue happens to some and not to others always does not mean that it is hardware issue and cannot be fixed/ improved at all ..the Lines between software and hardware issue are blurring these days as both need to work together to get something to work well ..I work in this field and we characterize mics and frequency responses for plenty of consumer devices ..every device out there with a mic is slightly different acoustically there is no way you can make every device perform identically same ..its the software that makes it work with the tuning that should adapt automatically giving enough margin to perform equally well on all devices .most of the times the issues we see are invariably fixed by tweaking software parameters in DSP engine ..and the symptoms described by people on this feels exactly like something that can be addressed by sw update ..

PS: I'm not discouraging you not to exchange and get a new moto x you might actually get lucky and get a perfect device that does not show this issue at all ..:)

Good luck.