Voice cutting out on other end of call

taappel

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Please leave the door cracked open for me in case I need to get in... I have avoided apple like the plague since the day the first one was released. Never wanted to be one of those 'apple drones' like the masses... but ya know what? Anyone that I know who has them it sure as hell does seem like "it just works" for them. I almost fell off my chair in a meeting the other day at work when the person next to me iphone started vibrating on the table due to receiving a call. The room we were in is called "the brick room" because of lack of reception. So I asked her, "is that some sort of a notification?"(thinking she couldn't possible have a call), and she put out a one moment finger to me, and then she picked up the phone and said "hello?" , that was the point where i fell off said chair... i WANT a phone that works like that...

I hate to break it to you, but iPhones aren't immune to problems like you might think. The iPhone 4 had widespread problems with reception, and Apple's response to the problem was basically "You're holding the phone wrong". iOS has had issues with Apple Maps leading people to the wrong locations, and alarms not working after daylight savings time. These are just a few off the top of my head. The people you know may not have had any issues, but please don't act like iPhones never have any problems. It simply isn't true

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
I hate to break it to you, but iPhones aren't immune to problems like you might think. The iPhone 4 had widespread problems with reception, and Apple's response to the problem was basically "You're holding the phone wrong". iOS has had issues with Apple Maps leading people to the wrong locations, and alarms not working after daylight savings time. These are just a few off the top of my head. The people you know may not have had any issues, but please don't act like iPhones never have any problems. It simply isn't true

And the issues that you noted are pretty much all of them. Pretty good track record. :)

luckydwg

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site
Don't blame you for switching I switched phones as well but I decided to stay with android and go for the S4 GPE. No more voice problems here but I am really going to miss the active notifications.

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk 4

clankfu

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
And the issues that you noted are pretty much all of them. Pretty good track record. :)

Please. People have problems with their iPhones just like any other phone. It's just the nature of mass-produced electronic devices to have some defects and bugs. Just take a look through the various iPhone forums and you'll see that they're not immune to problems.

iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting - MacRumors Forums

shaytoon21

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site

google now worked flawlessly from day one. did siri? ill bet google now works better on iphone than siri, assuming it has all the bells n whistles as it does on android.
youre comparing one phone to all of android. as if any brand new 1st generation phones never had issues?

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
google now worked flawlessly from day one. did siri? ill bet google now works better on iphone than siri, assuming it has all the bells n whistles as it does on android.
youre comparing one phone to all of android. as if any brand new 1st generation phones never had issues?

Actually, Siri has always worked for what it was designed to do. But Google Now is on a different level. It's great!

taappel

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site

I don't want to get into an argument of Apple vs. Android, but you're wrong. Those were a few issues that were well publicized and that I thought of without doing any research. Do a quick google search and you'll find all kinds of minor issues that aren't public knowledge.

I'm not gonna act like android is perfect or anything. Right now I'm dealing with the Moto X voice issues, and Verizon is sending me a new phone. I love every other aspect of this phone and hope that a new phone will fix my problem.

In my opinion, the major difference between Apple and Android is marketing. Both platforms have their issues, but Apple keeps pushing the "our phones are so great, they just work" angle, and everyone seems to buy into it even when there is evidence to the contrary.

Ambull

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
please don't act like iPhones never have any problems. It simply isn't true

Like i said I have never had an iPhone, and up till now have never considered owning one. So I have no personal experience other than looking over the fence and seeing how happy people seem to be with theirs. As for the iPhone 4 reception issues, you are referring to an older phone which in my opinion anyway isn't very relevant anymore. But if we are going to talk about the iPhone 4, although I am well aware of it's deathgrip or antennagate problems, people seem to still be blissfully happily using them even today with them being someone outdated... so i dunno... and also lets be reminded that the very relevent HTC ONE andriod phone, at least in some flavors anyway, notably sprint versions at the very least, also have these type reception problems. As for the Iphone 5 map problems, i'd take that ANY DAY over the reception/voice issues of the Moto X. AGAIN, my opinion, to each their own. I can tell you this: My son's Iphone 5s arrives sometime next week, and i am using it for the day first before even handing it to him, to see if I can make calls reliably from work as other iPhone users seem to be able to do (different carriers - yes, but that's why I will test (apples to apples - no pun intended) with his phone). If i can reliably make calls, something i haven't been able to do with various android makes and models over the past few years, then i will become an Apple Drone and join the masses.

taappel

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Like i said I have never had an iPhone, and up till now have never considered owning one. So I have no personal experience other than looking over the fence and seeing how happy people seem to be with theirs. As for the iPhone 4 reception issues, you are referring to an older phone which in my opinion anyway isn't very relevant anymore. But if we are going to talk about the iPhone 4, although I am well aware of it's deathgrip or antennagate problems, people seem to still be blissfully happily using them even today with them being someone outdated... so i dunno... and also lets be reminded that the very relevent HTC ONE andriod phone, at least in some flavors anyway, notably sprint versions at the very least, also have these type reception problems. As for the Iphone 5 map problems, i'd take that ANY DAY over the reception/voice issues of the Moto X. AGAIN, my opinion, to each their own. I can tell you this: My son's Iphone 5s arrives sometime next week, and i am using it for the day first before even handing it to him, to see if I can make calls reliably from work as other iPhone users seem to be able to do (different carriers - yes, but that's why I will test (apples to apples - no pun intended) with his phone). If i can reliably make calls, something i haven't been able to do with various android makes and models over the past few years, then i will become an Apple Drone and join the masses.

If you are happier with an iPhone, great. I think you just proved my point though. People claim that iPhones "just work", when really they have issues and defects like any other smartphone. And when they don't "just work", people tend to make a lot more excuses as to why their phone doesn't work. You mention the iPhone 4 being an old phone, but it had those reception problems when it was brand new. I'd say that is relevant. If you're looking for a more recent example, I've heard of at least a few different issues with iOS 7, one of which being that iMessage basically stopped working after certain people upgraded from a previous version of iOS. We can play this silly game all day talking about this iPhone or that android phone having this specific problem, but you'd only be further proving my point.

clankfu

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site

Almost all Moto X owners are blissfully happy with their phones so I don't really see your point.

Ambull

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
If you are happier with an iPhone, great. I think you just proved my point though. People claim that iPhones "just work", when really they have issues and defects like any other smartphone. And when they don't "just work", people tend to make a lot more excuses as to why their phone doesn't work. You mention the iPhone 4 being an old phone, but it had those reception problems when it was brand new. I'd say that is relevant. If you're looking for a more recent example, I've heard of at least a few different issues with iOS 7, one of which being that iMessage basically stopped working after certain people upgraded from a previous version of iOS. We can play this silly game all day talking about this iPhone or that android phone having this specific problem, but you'd only be further proving my point.

Oh i'm not trying to play a silly game or further your point or disapprove your point. I think my only point, however rambling it may come off, is just that i have exhausted myself with every Andriod phone out there and i am on my last stop with the Moto X, for which I have problems that i am desperate for a fixing for, all the while watching my seeming happy little IPhone friends, and it is frustrating the crap out of me and while waiting for my Moto to be fixed, and hearing of software updates that are out there that I can't seem to have, I start more and more looking at that iphone and it is starting to look better and better hence the reason for my original post that you originally responded to. Got that? lol.

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site

Actually, the i4 never had reception problems, just signal strength drops. But not dropped calls.

Sent from my Droid using AC Forums mobile app

Ambull

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Almost all Moto X owners are blissfully happy with their phones so I don't really see your point.

Then why this thread? I think most Moto X owners are very happy with all aspects of this phone but being able to make calls reliably which is why this thread exists.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I've tested this out on a few calls. We could not reproduce the issue in the OP.

clankfu

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Then why this thread? I think most Moto X owners are very happy with all aspects of this phone but being able to make calls reliably which is why this thread exists.

Like I said, all devices have issues that some users experience. Go look in an iPhone forum and check out all the problems that they're reporting. I posted a link to one above.

As far as this issue is concerned, not all people are experiencing it and Motorola is updating the software for people who have.

clankfu

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Look...if you guys just prefer the iPhone over the Moto X, I have zero problem with that. My issue is with people nitpicking on Android phones while pretending that everything is sunshine and lollipops over in IOS-land. I've owned an iPhone before and a ton of my friends and family own them so I know that's simply BS.

Ambull

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Look...if you guys just prefer the iPhone over the Moto X, I have zero problem with that. My issue is with people nitpicking on Android phones while pretending that everything is sunshine and lollipops over in IOS-land. I've owned an iPhone before and a ton of my friends and family own them so I know that's simply BS.

I want to prefer the Moto X. I'm trying. But it does look like the iPhone is almost sunshine and lollipops from looking over the fence which is making it hard for me... Maybe when I try out my sons soon to be received iPhone 5s I will feel differently. i will be sure to post about it...

Brady KEITH

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
whoa. i didn't intend to spark a debate in this thread regarding OSes (truth be told, my post last night was more of a rant, which no one quoted, so i deleted most of it this morning :-[ ).

i dig android, no doubt...i plan on using my touchpad running cyanogenmod until the battery refuses to charge. i appreciate that moto didn't suggest x owners were doing something wrong in simply using the x as a phone, and i appreciate that moto didn't simply ignore the problem. in sum, android is cool, moto is classy for pushing out an update relatively quickly...verizon on the other hand (no comment).

l8r (again).

guesswhat_567

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Motorola VP punits soni did mention that sw update is rolling out to all carriers very soon. I dont think verizon update is months away. Its probably only couple of weeks away ..
whoa. i didn't intend to spark a debate in this thread regarding OSes (truth be told, my post last night was more of a rant, which no one quoted, so i deleted most of it this morning :-[ ).

i dig android, no doubt...i plan on using my touchpad running cyanogenmod until the battery refuses to charge. i appreciate that moto didn't suggest x owners were doing something wrong in simply using the x as a phone, and i appreciate that moto didn't simply ignore the problem. in sum, android is cool, moto is classy for pushing out an update relatively quickly...verizon on the other hand (no comment).

l8r (again).

Ambull

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
So nine days after announcement I now just FINALLY received my sprint software update. So far so good on the spotty reception front. I need way more time to test though. The definitive test will be from work, and that won't be for a few days. I will test and post back when I have the results. i will also compare against my son's iPhone 5s which should arrive next week.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech