Lucidlore

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
ugh I hate clothed phones.. I look at everyone with those fancy iPhone's and think - " Somebody got paid Millions of dollars to design your phone, yet you throw a case that someone got paid thousands of dollars to design".

I love the fact that my phone was designed to look and feel the way it does. Putting a case on the phone Hampers that design and in turn hamper's everything about the phone when holding it. I've looked at some slim cases (like i've used on my iPhone 4/Nexus4) and none have any Moto Branding (i'd actually like the moto M tbh just to show I have a phone that nobody else wants, im weird that way) and it's missing the Indent that my finger has learned to rest in while holding the phone!

I can't disagree more. You need a case. A naked moto x feels quite good but it is also insanely slippery. A case serves a very practical purpose of giving your phone added protection. If you keep your phone for 2 years, you WILL drop it. You need a case.

SUPCASE Moto X Hybrid Bumper Cases ← Moto X Accessories

That's the case I'm using. It gives good protection, doesn't add too much bulk, retains the dimple, and the hardback is transparent so the motorola logo shows through. The rubber on the rim is a hard rubber that will protect from falls and gives added friction to reduce the chance of the phone slipping through your hands. Get a case !

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I can't disagree more. You need a case. A naked moto x feels quite good but it is also insanely slippery. A case serves a very practical purpose of giving your phone added protection. If you keep your phone for 2 years, you WILL drop it. You need a case.

SUPCASE Moto X Hybrid Bumper Cases ← Moto X Accessories

That's the case I'm using. It gives good protection, doesn't add too much bulk, retains the dimple, and the hardback is transparent so the motorola logo shows through. The rubber on the rim is a hard rubber that will protect from falls and gives added friction to reduce the chance of the phone slipping through your hands. Get a case !

I agree with this 100%. your smartphone is not to "show" others your phone. it's to use. it's an expensive, mini computer that with the right impact on just about any surface can be destroyed. now, with that being said, it's your investment, you protect it how you want. but I've yet to pick up any smartphone "naked" that didn't feel slippery. not to mention, the surface of your hands can vary in how much "grip" you have. let your hands get dried out. all of a sudden, your phone is twice as slippery, with or without a case. the S4 (my phone) may be mostly plastic, but the dang thing is slick. I have very good hands, and am very concious about how I handle my phone. I drop my phone about once a year. I know folks who drop their phones weekly, sometime several times a week. I have several Elago breathe cases for my S4, very thin but adds good grip. that's for weekends and vacation time. during my 66 hour work week, I use the otterbox commuter, it adds a bit more bulk, but nothing like the defender. all it takes is ONE unfortunate drop, so I just don't take the chance.

fldude99

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
This is the first device I've owned that I would actually consider going naked due to the fact it has some tackiness to it. However, yes it can be dropped so easily regardless. So I decided to compromise and put a bumper on it to preserve as much of the look and feel as possible. Can't go around being totally paranoid all the time. Worst case scenario is if it is dropped and totalled, I'll shell out for the developer edition..

howdydoesit

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
I agree with this 100%. your smartphone is not to "show" others your phone. it's to use. it's an expensive, mini computer that with the right impact on just about any surface can be destroyed. the S4 (my phone) may be mostly plastic, but the dang thing is slick.

For some people it's not to show off, especially the standard black Moto X. The thing looks plain at a glance, on closer inspection I think it's beautiful. It also fits so well in my hand, it's unlike any other phone I've ever used. I like how it feels and looks and that's why I rock it naked.

The feel of the S4 was one of the reasons I didn't choose it. It's just slightly too large for my hand and feels lightweight while the X feels solid and has a pretty decent tackiness with the backing that they've chosen. I've always ran my phones naked, but this is my first phone that felt like it was stuck to my hand.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk 4

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
For some people it's not to show off, especially the standard black Moto X. The thing looks plain at a glance, on closer inspection I think it's beautiful. It also fits so well in my hand, it's unlike any other phone I've ever used. I like how it feels and looks and that's why I rock it naked.

The feel of the S4 was one of the reasons I didn't choose it. It's just slightly too large for my hand and feels lightweight while the X feels solid and has a pretty decent tackiness with the backing that they've chosen. I've always ran my phones naked, but this is my first phone that felt like it was stuck to my hand.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk 4

no problem there. my post was simply, in a nutshell, protect your investment. I think I feel so strongly about this because so many people, when they do damage their phones, blame the phone for not being tough enough, or it's a piece of crap because you dropped it "two feet from the ground." my best friend has an HTC EVO LTE, and he refuses to case that phone. AND he drops it about three times a month. it looks like it's been chewed on by a teething puppy. however, he KNOWS he's been lucky that his screen has taken no major damage. when i slap the otterbox commuter case on my S4, sure it looks quite "ordinary". black on black. I don't really care what my smartphone looks like when it's sitting on my desk, or the kitchen counter, etc. what I do care about is what it looks like when I need it to work, and if it works at all. this is just my "advice" and following my or anyone's advice is quite optional. peace.

Lucidlore

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
My phone before the X was an s2. It was the white version with the glossy back instead of the black textured back. Yet even that phone felt more secure in my hands than my moto x. It's hard to describe this phone. The back is a more substantial and better quality than the flimsy plastic back used by Samsung, but it has a really slippery feel, as if it's been rubbed down with chalk. The phone feels soooo good to hold, but I was in constant fear of dropping it everywhere i went. The other day, I even noticed a few very small scratches on the screen, so I dropped a few bucks on a screen protector. They were very minor and hard to see unless held up to the light, but if it's already scratching after 4~ days, I can only imagine how bad it would look after 2 years. I get that the look and feel of a naked moto x is important to people, but in my opinion, a clothed moto x would feel a whole lot better than a naked moto x that's been bruised up after a few months of wear and tear.

Edit* Right after I posted this, I took off my case and played with the X in my hands just to remember how it felt right out of the box. The wonder of handling a naked X was unmistakable. It's a much sexier and more elegant device without the case wrapping it. But then I told myself that I wanted to be able to experience this feeling 6 months from now, without the bumps and nicks that adorn most weathered phones, and begrudgingly popped the case back on. It's like a child, really. You make personal sacrifices for what's good for the phone.

fldude99

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
I also had the S2 before the Moto X and I have to disagree with you regarding the feel. The S2 is WAY more slippery than the Moto X. The back has a perfect tackiness to me and my thought is that if you're gonna drop it being naked, you're gonna drop it with a case. Only difference is that the case may..."may"...keep it from breaking. But as I said in a prior post, I'll take that chance and put aside 5 Benjamins for the developer device if necessary

Lucidlore

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
I also had the S2 before the Moto X and I have to disagree with you regarding the feel. The S2 is WAY more slippery than the Moto X. The back has a perfect tackiness to me and my thought is that if you're gonna drop it being naked, you're gonna drop it with a case. Only difference is that the case may..."may"...keep it from breaking. But as I said in a prior post, I'll take that chance and put aside 5 Benjamins for the developer device if necessary

We'll agree to disagree. It just boils down on the risks we're willing to take, I guess. You have the $500 to throw on a new phone if yours breaks, I'd rather pay the 15 bucks on the case than risk the 500.

fldude99

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
We'll agree to disagree. It just boils down on the risks we're willing to take, I guess. You have the $500 to throw on a new phone if yours breaks, I'd rather pay the 15 bucks on the case than risk the 500.

Lol..cool. Exactly what makes the world go round. I'm willing to take the risk for the experience of using the phone without a case..se la vie

Jay Gloab

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site

Lucidlore, did you do a custom back through Moto Maker? I believe I read that the colored backs are a different material than the black and white ones, maybe that's why you find it slipperier than others.

Lucidlore

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Lucidlore, did you do a custom back through Moto Maker? I believe I read that the colored backs are a different material than the black and white ones, maybe that's why you find it slipperier than others.

That's possible. I'm on sprint so I got the generic black one. I don't know how a custom phone on motomaker would feel. It's weird because when you look at the weave texture on the phone, you expect it to be rough to the touch, but it is deceptively smooth.

fldude99

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
That's possible. I'm on sprint so I got the generic black one. I don't know how a custom phone on motomaker would feel. It's weird because when you look at the weave texture on the phone, you expect it to be rough to the touch, but it is deceptively smooth.

I got the black weave, and to me, it has a slight tackiness to it that you really can't see. Definitely more tacky than just the smooth plastic on the S2

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
For some reason yes, different colors have a different texture. They had them all at my local Att store and I was amazed at how different they all feel. The woven black, black, royal blue and maybe the navy were all the soft grippy material and the others including the woven white were harder and slick.

Sent from my White Moto X

mayconvert

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
Got my Moto X today. Got insurance. Never use a case on any of my phones. Hate them.
Love the feel of the phone, not going to change that with an ugly case.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar