Moto X: Cracked screen already

JoeNM84

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Re: Cracked screen already....I'm an *****

I am not sure about other reviews that say the moto x is solidly built, this is the first phone I have had that the screen has cracked on. It fell from my hand to the ground as I was getting in the car with a case on. I pick it up and sure enough there is a break from top to bottom after just a week of having the phone. Motorola service has been awful. It is a cool phone but can't stand how cheaply it was made. Will be looking for another option once I can afford it since I bought the phone in u locked version. Sure wish I had seen more of these reviews and how easily the screen cracks, even with a full case on and front protection on. Do not buy unless you don't mind a screen that cracks in your pocket or from the smallest drops!

Sometimes phones hit just right(or wrong) and the screen cracks. I've watched enough drop tests to know that it all depends on how it hits. No phone is immune to all angles of impact.

tmann202

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site

My phone came before my case and sure enough my worst fear happened and I dropped it on a tile floor the second night I had it, bounced on 2 corners from about 3 feet up. I thought for sure the screen would be shattered based on some people's reports on this site, but I was very happy and relieved to see that it was in perfect condition.

Cant Miss

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site

My phone came before my case and sure enough my worst fear happened and I dropped it on a tile floor the second night I had it, bounced on 2 corners from about 3 feet up. I thought for sure the screen would be shattered based on some people's reports on this site, but I was very happy and relieved to see that it was in perfect condition.
I doubt many take the time to post a thread when all is well after a drop.

Matt Potter

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site

It is an incipio portfolio case, has a case that clicks into the portfolio case, it just landed on the asphalt from pocket high, fully covered on front and back.

Cant Miss

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
For most phones, the most vulnerable area is the edge (specifically the corners). Pressure/shock on the edges forces the glass to bend; and we all know glass doesn't bend much before it cracks.

This is why armor style cases have a lot of absorptive material around the edges and especially in the corners. The Incipio Folio appears to be a thin shell hard case with none of this kind of protection.

My understanding of gorilla glass is that it is designed to resist scratches and frontal impact. I assume it has to be pretty hard to do this. The harder it is, the more likely it is to break when forced to bend.

Unfortunately, we all seem to be impressed by thin, sleek devices, which means expensive, fused together displays. At this point, these things are not yet designed to be dropped.

sharkita

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site

I bought my phone less than a month ago and I dropped it on tile about 3 fee from the floor. It landed on the top right corner and shattered. Granted that I don't have a case but I dropped my motorola Atrix tons of time sand it never cracked or scratched. I noticed a few deep scratches on my Moto X already and never one on my Atrix, and I didn't have a protector screen on for the 3 yrs I owned it. Moto X I'm disappointed in you. It seems like the material for the screen is just not that durable.

I had an Atrix and also dropped it hard enough the back came loose and the screen didn't break. I've dropped my Moto X once from the same height and it didn't damage it at all (lucky for me since I didn't have a case on it yet), but I think a lot has to do with the angle of the drop and how the thing hits. I broke the screen on one of my RAZRs not once, but twice, and from a really short height.

sharkita

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site

I doubt many take the time to post a thread when all is well after a drop.

I agree. I have dropped every phone I've ever owned at least once, which is why I hate slippery backs on phones (have to have the rubberized ones since I'm a butterfingers), but the most amazing to me was an old candybar-style Nokia a friend of mine dropped off a third story balcony onto a concrete sidewalk. The screen shattered and the display was kaput, but the phone still worked!

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site

I am not sure about other reviews that say the moto x is solidly built, this is the first phone I have had that the screen has cracked on. It fell from my hand to the ground as I was getting in the car with a case on. I pick it up and sure enough there is a break from top to bottom after just a week of having the phone. Motorola service has been awful. It is a cool phone but can't stand how cheaply it was made. Will be looking for another option once I can afford it since I bought the phone in u locked version. Sure wish I had seen more of these reviews and how easily the screen cracks, even with a full case on and front protection on. Do not buy unless you don't mind a screen that cracks in your pocket or from the smallest drops!

I dropped my phone on concrete from a 9 ft ladder. It's fine. Sorry you busted yours. Not every drop is the same.

jbai63

May 14, 2014
Visit site
I cracked mine screen on Thursday 5/8/14 and went on the motorola site Friday 5/9/14 and filled out a damage report and that night I received and email back from motorola with a new order number I put the number in customized my moto x phone and guess what....Fed x was just at my door Wed 5/14/14 1:40pm and I just received my new phone and all I have to do is return the old one! Yep it's all true, I don't know why but they did it for free. They never even asked for any credit card info, crazy...I love my moto x and if Motorola keeps treating me like this I will have a motorola for ever!

Go to: Motorola.com, get help tab, returns and repairs adn go from there.
I did have to sign into my google account.

Love it! saved me who knows how much $$$.

rexbaumgartner

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I received my moto x on thursday and I really like it. Naturally, I declined insurance and instantly after coming back from a Cleveland Browns tailgate, i dropped my phone and cracked the screen. I have searched for screen replacements, but I can't find anything...is there anything else I can do?

FML for dropping my phone and supporting terrible sports teams.....

I remember my first beer!

Sorry bud, that one was used on me many times! Sorry about your screen!

Posted via Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze