How is everyone doing without root?

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
So, here's the deal, I'm currently running a GNex on Verizon and I'm debating over keeping what I have or picking up either a Droid Maxx or the Moto X (once Moto Maker is available on VZW). I'm not one to assume anything so I don't expect to see a bootloader unlock and/or root access for either device (I'm also not keen on spending the probably $650 for a Developer Edition). I have a bunch of apps I use regularly that require root which are:

WiFi Tether <--- Disclaimer, I can swap my "older" 10GB plan to a "new" plan and get tethering for free. This is mainly principle to me.
AdAway
Cerberus
Greenify
Light Flow
Rom Manager
Titanium Backup
Root Explorer
BootUnlocker

Now, the bottom 5 are largely irrelevant on the new Motorola offerings considering there's no notification light and no root. That said, I'm a little bugged to not be able to back up on the dumb things I don't really need to back up anyway I don't suppose. I'm also annoyed to not be able to use Cerberus for security. I keep it under root and hidden from the app drawer. I also assume that if I ever lost the phone or had it stolen, the chances of anyone being knowledgeable enough to flash a new rom are few and far between.

So for all the other people out there that are geeky like me and are used to flashing roms and tinkering with things, are you ok with the MotoX if root/bootloader unlock never come? Do you miss Cyanogen Mod/Whatever ROM you used? Granted, all the good features about this phone go away once you flash a ROM, so there's really no point.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
There will be a point when you will wish Root was available if it never came. Considering the hype around the Moto X and seeing news that Sprint is offering bootloader unlock methods, I'm sure it'll be a matter of time before solutions start popping up for other models, including the Verizon model.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Coming from a Galaxy Nexus that was flashed to hell and back, I can definitely say I'm fine without root. I like AdAway, but I'll live without it.

I don't miss ROMs right now. Towards the end with my Galaxy Nexus, it seemed like I was just chasing an imaginary, better experience that couldn't actually be had.

Posted via Android Central App

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
i use all those apps except
Cerberus- I use Google's Android device manager
and BootUnlocker

I can live without any of those apps except Greenify. Greenify is a life saver.

with the popularity of Moto X it wont be long since we get a root method

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
No doubt, Root/Unlocked BL may come but I like to base purchases on what I know and what's available now. I'm beyond buying a device with X version of Android and then ******** because it has that version of Android and not the next incarnation the second it drops. I currently run CM10 on my GNex. I'm not butthurt because I'm not on a laggy CM10.1 experience or an abysmal 10.2.

I'm now further annoyed by Verizon. I currently pay $50/month for 10GB's. Verizon wants $100/month for 12GB's including tethering. I'm not sure what kind of crack they're smoking, but that's utterly ridiculous. I may hang onto my GNex for a while longer by necessity (I tether for work and use around 8GB's/month normally).

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
There's no comparison between the two. It's like claiming you don't need a kitchen knife because you already have a spoon.
+1

No security/remote wipe app is perfect. But what good does Android DM do after someone logs you out of your Google Account or wipes data? (That's a rhetorical question)

SUPERDAVE42

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I came from a Verizon Galaxy Nexus 32 GB that I rommed and modded the heck out of.

I'm on my second day with the Droid Maxx and so far I love it. it feels incredible and well built. I love the look of the Kevlar back, etc. so far I am not missing root access yet. I did install Nova Launcher Prime so I could get my gesture controls back and so far am only slightly annoyed that the Moto command center circle widget will not work on Nova. other than that I keep amazing myself every time I say "OK Google Now" lol

The one thing that WOULD make me want to root this is if developers are able to add more voice commands like setting toggles and asking to read anything outloud.

KevLar72

May 20, 2013
Visit site
The 4.3 update changed a lot of things! You actually don't NEED root now. I know the Moto x doesn't ship with 4.3.. I'm just saying.....

Joseph Gilbert

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
I do not get the point... you will give someone a new phone for 99 dollars if they drop it like an *****... But you wont give them a new phone if they unlock the bootloader and drop it...heres a hint; its the drop either way. Everyone would be better with the ability to root and flash because ultimately the extra CPU's on the X8 platform are probably 95% under utilized and could be the host for real creativity and testing by the multitudes if we could just get the same phone as the "developer edition" up front. All companies like Samsung, Motorola, HTC etc hire the dumbest people to create the UI's and ignore what the geniuses do for fun with AOSP... If your going to lock my bootloader then allow me to choose between official ROMs UI / Clean and just put root in the developer options. Stop forcing it in dry at a 45 degree angle while I am gagged and crying. Not fun :(

tortex73

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
We will have root for the AT&T version in the coming days, possibly even tomorrow. A developer has already found a working exploit, he's just doing some testing. I am unsure if it will work on the VZW model or not.

rockets95

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
I came from a GS3 running CM 10.1. I miss AdAway the most, but ads are how developers get paid, so that's a wash. Now that I'm not rooted I can actually watch streaming movies I own on Flixster, which will be handy.

I don't really miss custom ROMs at all yet. Bluetooth is loads better so far than any ROM I ran previously. Moto is very close to stock and it's really fast. They must have done a ton of optimization, which really helps. Plus I now can't live without active notifications, which likely won't be on any custom ROM.

Posted via Android Central App

Rocketsaucev2

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Interestingly, I was looking through my running apps and I see backup assistant plus and backup assistant contacts client running on my VZW Moto X. I disabled all Verizon apps but and don't see any in my app drawer but apparently something is still going under the hood. First thing that has made me want root so far, to freeze all these dumb vzw bloat apps that seem to persists through 'disable'

Sent from my XT1060

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon