I'm sick and tired of people complaining about the price

clankfu

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
On various blogs, articles and video reviews, the most common complaint I've heard is that it's priced too high since it doesn't have high end specs. When will people learn that overall user experience trumps specs any day of the week? If there are any football fans here, the best analogy I can come up with is people going crazy over combine numbers instead of evaluating their game tape and production.

clankfu

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
It's hard for people to make money. We all like to use less money buy great things.

I agree but that's not what people are referring to. They're insinuating that since it doesn't have the technical specs of other flagship phones like the GS4, HTC One, etc, that it should not be priced as a premium device. I totally disagree with that.

What people fail to realize is that a lot of money is spent on research and development of the software aspects like active notifications, touchless control and the X8 computing system, even more so than on the actual hardware. Now, if you want to argue that mobile devices are overpriced in general, that's a whole other can of worms. I just think it's stupid to argue that the Moto X isn't worth as much as other flagship phones.

myRT

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I agree but that's not what people are referring to. They're insinuating that since it doesn't have the technical specs of other flagship phones like the GS4, HTC One, etc, that it should not be priced as a premium device. I totally disagree with that.

What people fail to realize is that a lot of money is spent on research and development of the software aspects like active notifications, touchless control and the X8 computing system, even more so than on the actual hardware. Now, if you want to argue that mobile devices are overpriced in general, that's a whole other can of worms. I just think it's stupid to argue that the Moto X isn't worth as much as other flagship phones.

Just wanted to say I couldn't agree more....with both comments

Human nature to find something to be unhappy about especially when its tough earning enough to just get by, let alone buying things you really want.

With that being said, it does get irritating hearing it all. Like mom use to say. If you don't have anything good to say, shut your pie hole....or something like that! And like dad said, if you have a problem and you can't solve that problem, chances are, you are the problem....so shut your pie hole!

I had a fun childhood and love my new X.....even when it acts unlike I expect it too.....cause I probably disabled the wrong thing! Lol

Have a great morning to all

Posted via my MotoX

sunburned

May 1, 2012
Visit site
I'll agree with you. Buying a new phone every 2 years or so at $200 isn't that big of a deal to me, especially when you think of how much other electronic devices cost. And then nobody brings up the fact that Verizon offered basically $60 off the phone, or technically making the 'activation fee', tax and shipping charges free. So it's like I walked in the store and bought it for $200 and got it the first day possible.

And yes, for all the ******** and complaining about low specs and 720p screens and small batteries, this phone absolutely flies. I've never used a 'flagship' phone as my own before, but I've played with the S4, One, Note 2 and all those. The X is just plain fast. Everything it does is immediate. No stuttering or lag whatsoever, plus the battery lasts all day. I still have 10% left after a 18 hour day.

Every one of the naysayers has probably not even touched the phone, let alone used it for more than 5 minutes at the store. Just a bunch of spec whores who want to look ridiculous with tablet sized phones.

Amylase453

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
It does what I need it to do faster than the GNEX it replaced with new features and not a lot of Sense,Touchwiz or carrier bloatware. It's a value for me, particularly at the $139 subsidized price I paid. I'm beholden to Verizon's network, nothing else works anywhere close as well where I live and travel. I'm okay with that too.

dad2paisley

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
I agree. I got $50 off, free shipping and no verizon upgrade tax. Not bad. I also don't mind paying every 2 years for a new phone. The phone usually die by then anyway.

snookasnoo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Why do you care so much...

On various blogs, articles and video reviews, the most common complaint I've heard is that it's priced too high since it doesn't have high end specs. When will people learn that overall user experience trumps specs any day of the week? If there are any football fans here, the best analogy I can come up with is people going crazy over combine numbers instead of evaluating their game tape and production.

hokiesteve

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
I think a large part of the complaining has been due to speculation that Google/Motorola would aggressively price it to help push device prices down a bit which didn't happen. I was a bit disappointed that it didn't happen as well.

That being said, after using the phone for nearly a week now, I think even at the price of $200 on contract, the phone offers a much better value than some previous flagship phones such as the poorly executed Bionic and Galaxy Nexus. The fact that the Verizon coupon code for 30% off was valid for the X made it an even better value.

Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app

roadkizzle

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
@snookasnoo- I can't speak for others, but the reason I'm frustrated by reviewers saying they are uncertain about its value is because it always comes as a summary where they have nothing bad to say about the phone, and instead virtually always state that the screen is substantially no worse than the other phones at the price, and that it performs just as well if not better than the other similarly priced phones.

People who are trying to be informed consumers will try to look at reviews but won't bother reading the actual review where the reviewers virtually all state that the phone does more than its competitors, does it better and more fluidly, while at the same time having top of the line ergonomics and top of class battery life.

They state that the phone is a great phone and will easily match anyone that isn't a niche consumer looking for a top of the line camera, massive screen, or multi day battery life. But all consumers will read is the summary where the exact same reviewer will say they are unsure if the phone is worth the same cost as the phones it bests.

It is really just a holdover from android geeks obsessing over the latest and biggest specs, but their statement doesn't follow their actual review and does nothing but sow the seeds of doubt in ignorant consumers minds.

philly

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Its a mid range phone with 199 on contract.. Of course people will complain. Most phones ranging from 650-800 end up being 199 on contract.. Why is a 550 dollar phone.. 199 on contract? It should be 450 off contract and 99 on contract. I've been talking about this phone on here before most.. And I was a Motorola fanboy.. But I am not a dumb consumer and no way I'd support this device at that price.. Its two extra 'cores' are for unused features and based on almost every review they provide no real world battery gain.. The phone is a fail and if android users weren't as bad as apple users it would and should of been DOA with last years specs at 199 on contract.

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Its two extra 'cores' are for unused features and based on almost every review they provide no real world battery gain..
Unused features like....touchless control and Moto Assist? Please post the reviews you're referring to. Shouldn't be hard, since "almost every" one of them backs your opinion, apparently.

roadkizzle

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Its a mid range phone with 199 on contract.. Of course people will complain. Most phones ranging from 650-800 end up being 199 on contract.. Why is a 550 dollar phone.. 199 on contract? It should be 450 off contract and 99 on contract. I've been talking about this phone on here before most.. And I was a Motorola fanboy.. But I am not a dumb consumer and no way I'd support this device at that price.. Its two extra 'cores' are for unused features and based on almost every review they provide no real world battery gain.. The phone is a fail and if android users weren't as bad as apple users it would and should of been DOA with last years specs at 199 on contract.

You can only speak for yourself, but it has been soundly refuted that the phone uses "last years specs". The Krait 300s and additional processor concepts are not last year. The architecture of the cores matters far more than the number of them. The dual core X8 runs circles around last year's quad core processors because it utilizes more efficient cores.

If you want to call the Moto X a midrange phone then you can't get away from calling the HTC One and Galaxy S4 midrange phones either, which may actually now be the case with the G2 and Z1 being released in the near future.

I know that I took a step back to perform an unbiased comparison with the HTC One, Galaxy S4, and Moto X and the Moto X was by far the best value for all of my requirements. I strongly find the One and S4 have never been worth 199 for me while the X happily sits in that spot for me.

That said, Touchless Controls, robust Active Notifications, and Moto Assist are far from unused features. They have actually been the features that have gone the farthest to actually making a smart phone that assists me and other users in our lives. And yes it does help out massively with the battery life. How else could a phone sporting a battery the size of the Moto X routinely outlast a phone with a battery that is almost 20% larger?

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
OK. Tell them that their S4 and HTC One is now going to be priced at 899.99 cause it has the most recent specked hardware/software. Would they be happy now? No, they just complain about something else. Everybody needs to complain about something.

I'm tired of people asking "why did my screen scratch, isn't it gorilla glass?"

Courtesy Joe Dirt: God forbid you don't win after throwing only two quarters, man. It's a business. It ain't UNICEF.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I got the Moto X on contract but I usually buy my phones full price. My main thing is how it operates. I've had the HTC One and Galaxy S4, manufacturer and Google Editions of both. I can only go by my honest experience and, the Moto X out performs both phones as far as day to day operation. The only thing lacking is the camera and this is not even my opinion, because I have no issue with the camera, but so many people do, so that can't be ignored.

What's crazy is, I was just like many people on the forums. I wanted nothing to do with the Moto X. I didn't like the specs and didn't think it was worth it. Then I started reading and watching the review videos. Even in the vids were the reviewer was obviously biased against the phone I could see how much better and fluid it was operating.

Now that I've designed and have my own Moto X, I can say this is the best Android phone I've had to this point. I can't wait to see what the Nexus 5 will be like and if Google will take what it learned from the Moto X and optimize it the same way using Android 4.4

KJD209

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
Look. This phone is not a fail. The Moto X is a very good phone but the subsidized price of $199 is too high. That will be proven when it drops to $99 by the end of October. The Moto X has great software features and a unique architecture but, other than the semi-design it yourself exterior, there is nothing truly groundbreaking. This phone should have had a 1080p display.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Look. This phone is not a fail. The Moto X is a very good phone but the subsidized price of $199 is too high. That will be proven when it drops to $99 by the end of October. The Moto X has great software features and a unique architecture but, other than the semi-design it yourself exterior, there is nothing truly groundbreaking. This phone should have had a 1080p display.

This. This. This.

Sent from my Sony Xperia Tablet Z "The Sleeper Dohickey?

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
So the unique architecture that effectively changes how people interact with their phones, and the never-been-done-before customization options are not groundbreaking...but a 1080p display would be?

What other phones have a 300+ ppi real RGB stripe AMOLED display?

GMC MaXx

May 10, 2011
Visit site

A 1080p display would cut into my battery life. I prefer being less dependant on a wall charger.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-09-06-22-18-28.png
    Screenshot_2013-09-06-22-18-28.png
    142.9 KB · Views: 19

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci