Feeling a lot better with my Moto X purchase especially after the iPhone 5s announcement

Maria Esponoza

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
I have the SGS4, and have been torn about what I thought about the Moto X. If you happen to have a different phone you can still get active notifications on your Android 4.2 or 4.3 device using an app on the play store called "ActiveNotification". I use it all the time, and love it!

View attachment 80536

roadkizzle

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
I have the SGS4, and have been torn about what I thought about the Moto X. If you happen to have a different phone you can still get active notifications on your Android 4.2 or 4.3 device using an app on the play store called "ActiveNotification". I use it all the time, and love it!

View attachment 80536

Coming from people who have Moto X's and used ActiveNotification the knock off app works nowhere near as well as the real thing.

The Moto X is just much more aware of its surroundings, and is much better at just being there when you need it and giving you the information that you need.

The ActiveNotifications app is good for showing you a notification on the screen but it definitely does not accurately replicate the Moto Xs version, and definitely not without a higher battery drain.

roadkizzle

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
I bought the Moto X assuming apple would disappoint. I am coming from the iPhone 5 because the Moto X is the first phone is a long time that adds actual functionality that I use every day - like active notifications, assist, and active listening. Fingerprint sensor is cool and all, but do I really care about that? Not so much. Steve Jobs had so much vision - he built that company and it was a huge success, then the board ousted him and it tanked. When he came back in the 90's and created the iPod, it took off again and didn't stop until he died. Not sure if there are many people out there that can innovate like that guy, and I think apple is now just trying to keep their customers and share holders instead of innovating.

Truly Apple has not been anywhere near "Revolutionary" even when Steve Jobs was alive. People just blindly accepted that things were because he told them it was so.

He had a stronger charisma than any other person probably since Hitler. (I am not comparing the two men in any way other than people loved them and believed entirely in them.) This charisma made people who otherwise didn't want to pay any attention to tech want to take the time to actually understand how iPhones worked. No Apple product has truly been outstandingly better than any others but Jobs was the only person who could make the common person want to get out of their comfort zone to try new things.

He was a marketing genius, but definitely not an innovation one.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site

You can pretend it's the same thing, but it's not. I tried it on my Galaxy Nexus before I got my Moto X. That app is nowhere near as good as the real thing.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Check out the battery life thread for details. The short answer is yes, but it depends on what the usage is. The more you use the screen, play games, watch movies, etc. the lesser that number becomes, but most of us are easily getting 16-20 hours on a charge with 3-6 hours on screen. YMMV depending on what apps are used, how much stuff is syncing, signal type and strength, etc. just like every other device.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
has anhyone figured out if the moto x actually gives 24 hours of mixed usage?

Just this past weekend, I got just over 24 hours before plugging in and charging. I had been playing games, streaming YouTube, browsing the web, using social media, playing music, downloading music, taking pics, and reading and responding to emails/texts.

globster2000

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
Just this past weekend, I got just over 24 hours before plugging in and charging. I had been playing games, streaming YouTube, browsing the web, using social media, playing music, downloading music, taking pics, and reading and responding to emails/texts.

I got 25 hours yesterday with 15% left, but today I used a lot of GPS with LTE (waze) that left a big drain on my battery. At the moment, I am 28% with 3.5 hours screen time and 8 hours and 32 min on-time. This may not seem impressive, but 3 hours were GPS LTE with waze. My iPhone 4s would be dead now.

Posted via Android Central App

hokiesteve

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
Check out the battery life thread for details. The short answer is yes, but it depends on what the usage is. The more you use the screen, play games, watch movies, etc. the lesser that number becomes, but most of us are easily getting 16-20 hours on a charge with 3-6 hours on screen. YMMV depending on what apps are used, how much stuff is syncing, signal type and strength, etc. just like every other device.

That sounds about right. I've been pacing towards about 16 hours on LTE with a good signal, not connected to wifi with bluetooth on and extremely frequent usage. It gets much better once wifi is connected.

Kamron Erani

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
idk if this is for every moto x out there, but at 1% battery the phone seems to get in an extra 30mins - 1 hour screen time. (some guy even got 10 hours I believe, not pure screen time, but usage). I got a good 40-50 mins of gaming before mine finally died at 1%

kamann

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
I played around with the Moto X at a Verizon store today, and the chrome browser seemed a little choppy and hesitant to me. Other than that I loved it. The choppy scrolling in the chrome browser is the only thing holding me back from switching, it's about 80% of what I would use on my phone. IOS on my iPhone is just buttery smooth all the time.

guesswhat_567

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
I played around with the Moto X at a Verizon store today, and the chrome browser seemed a little choppy and hesitant to me. Other than that I loved it. The choppy scrolling in the chrome browser is the only thing holding me back from switching, it's about 80% of what I would use on my phone. IOS on my iPhone is just buttery smooth all the time.

Chrome runs buttery smooth on my device ..

tonymhoffman

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Chrome runs buttery smooth on my device ..

Ditto. The only thing I've found choppy with mine is swype keyboard. Then again, every phone I have high hopes of being able to use that keyboard smoothly over time it fails me. Google and swiftkey are just coded better.

snookasnoo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
You aren't actually familiar with what is different about the iPhone 5s and iOS 7. If you need reassurance that you did the right thing by getting a Moto X just be happy with what you have.

I am really happy that I got the moto X. I absolutely love the phone. Just saw the new iPhone 5s announcement and I am even more satisfied with my moto X.
I was forced to buy the moto x 15 days ago because I was left with no phone as my iphone 4s died on me.

Apart from the finger print scanner and the camera enhancements(which are mostly playing catch up with S4) there's absolutely nothing new about the iphone(Yeah may be the A7 chip and 64 bit arch which I could care less about)

10 Things I absolutely love about my moto x:
1. Feels great in my hand..actually the best smartphone that I ever held
2. Phone size is amazing...while still having a 4.7 inch display
3. Almost stock android
4. Active notifications
5. First buttery smooth android phone which is ridiculously fast too
6. Decent battery life
7. The integration of visual voicemail into the recent calls. No more reliance on Google Voice App
8. Pretty decent camera for facebook and instagram...for everything else there is my Nikon DSLR
9.The motorola connect chrome extension
10. Motorola Assist is definitely helpful when I am driving

People still on the fence...you will not regret one bit getting the moto x whether switching from an iPhone or other androids out there.

globster2000

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
idk if this is for every moto x out there, but at 1% battery the phone seems to get in an extra 30mins - 1 hour screen time. (some guy even got 10 hours I believe, not pure screen time, but usage). I got a good 40-50 mins of gaming before mine finally died at 1%

I believe that. When my phone kicks to 20%, it goes super energizer bunny; it just keeps going and going

globster2000

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site

I think scrolling is affected by the network connection on the moto x. When I scroll on my moto x with bad network, it scrolls choppy because my device isn't getting the internet data fast enough. However, when i have full signal or WiFi it just scrolls like a beast. 100x Faster than my previous iPhone 4s. I also turned animations to run .5x faster because this phone can handle it

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
I bought the Moto X assuming apple would disappoint. I am coming from the iPhone 5 because the Moto X is the first phone is a long time that adds actual functionality that I use every day - like active notifications, assist, and active listening. Fingerprint sensor is cool and all, but do I really care about that? Not so much. Steve Jobs had so much vision - he built that company and it was a huge success, then the board ousted him and it tanked. When he came back in the 90's and created the iPod, it took off again and didn't stop until he died. Not sure if there are many people out there that can innovate like that guy, and I think apple is now just trying to keep their customers and share holders instead of innovating.

Steve Jobs was not Apple. Understand that.

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
The biggest deal with the newest iPhone to me is the support for 64 bit. But that's not really going to benefit me until 64 bit apps become the norm. In other words there's no incentive to buy a phone with this until probably around 2015.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34