Can I use the Google Moto X without a carrier plan, using only wifi?

lando2319

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Currently I have an Iphone 4 which I am using without a Carrier plan. I had AT&T at one point then I cancelled the carrier plan, removed the SIM card, and started using my Google Voice Number for calls and texts, obviously I need to have wifi for this to work. I use the Talkatone App to make phone calls and the Google Voice App for texts.

Can I use the Google Moto X without a carrier plan?

What, if any, are the features that I will not be able to use without a carrier plan?

I would very much like to get a Moto X, however I would like to retain my current carrier-free setup.

Umass021

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
I don't think there is much you can't use without a carrier. Maybe the GPS if not connected to WiFi but not much else I could think of. You could even use Vonage to make phone calls thru WiFi also.

Sent from my A500 using AC Forums mobile app

lando2319

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
There is one available on Amazon said to be a "Factory Unlocked" version. So I would just get something like that and upon arrival I could start using Wifi, and thus download that apps as necessary for me to make calls from my Google Voice Number?

globster2000

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
Currently I have an Iphone 4 which I am using without a Carrier plan. I had AT&T at one point then I cancelled the carrier plan, removed the SIM card, and started using my Google Voice Number for calls and texts, obviously I need to have wifi for this to work. I use the Talkatone App to make phone calls and the Google Voice App for texts.

Can I use the Google Moto X without a carrier plan?

What, if any, are the features that I will not be able to use without a carrier plan?

I would very much like to get a Moto X, however I would like to retain my current carrier-free setup.

You can but GPS won't lock on because it will need a carrier to specify an exact location. Plus, the time will be off because the moto x relies on the carrier time. I know this because I used the moto x for 3 days without activating. I was waiting for my screen protector to ship.

Posted via Android Central App

lando2319

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Just got my MOTO X today, Factory Unlocked, works without a contract just as described on this thread.

Thank you everyone.

Last edited:

scrounger

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
I want to add that Republic announced that they will have the Moto X available. They use wifi for most of your usage.

Posted via Android Central App

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I often use my old devices on WiFi only. Pretty much everything works but texting and carrier based calling. Basically the phone become a mini WiFi tablet at that point.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae