Terrible Customer Support from Motorola

globster2000

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
Customer support sold the me the extended warranty. Took all of my CC info then nothing happened. Then I found out that I shouldn't have even been able to buy it because its only for at&t. The person that sold it to me said OK your all set knowing that I am Verizon. Moto service is overseas so I thought that I got scammed. Ended up having my amex shut off. Got in touch with Matt from Motorola who said that they have no record of my transaction. Then a few hours later he said that they found it under a different email but I only have one email...besides my military one and I never give that out.....and yes the moto website said nothing about just for at&t. Hours on the phone plus emails and shutting off my amex. Am I mad? Yes. Do I have Any issues with my moto x? No. But to tell you the truth, this thing is probably going back because these guys don't have a clue. I wanted to stick with it because of the american thing and I told them that but they wouldn't even insure my phone when their web site clearly didn't state that it was for any specific carrier. The american thing means that they glue a colored back to a phone made in China. Tech support is in India. The american thing is a sales tactic and a magazine add. People need to understand this. So its either the 5s or the nexus 5 or maybe even both. The moto x is a great phone but Motorola is not ready for the big time. In closing I told them, thanks for taking care of the military on 911. Made in the USA my a**. Sorry for the long rant but I wanted to love the company but they simply just can't support what they make.

Posted via Android Central App

Wow... That is scary. I am guessing whoever took your credit card info the first time around did not know what he was doing. Great that you secured your card, but bad business. I hope they start organizing themselves a bit better.

thegrants82

Banned
May 8, 2013
Visit site
I noticed that Punit Soni from Motorola has been VERY active on Google+ and is offering to help people with all sorts of issues. IMO I'd post a message on his page to one of the threads about the Moto X and wait for a reply.

Here is the biggest one I found, he responded a lot
https://plus.google.com/111499908439497508351/posts/aoJywRTyBHD

Appreciate the help but I think Matt is actually the end of the line as far as Moto support goes. But thank you. Like I said, great phone, mine has been almost perfect from day one. But I would urge anyone that wants a glimpse into what the experience will be like if you need help to just call tech support. Heck or even chat with them for 5 minutes using the moto care app. Even the website is offering services that they can't support and sell. In my mind that is just plain false advertising. I loved apple care+ and when I researched Motorola the warranty that they have looked almost identical and that was a big part of the reason that I went with them.

thegrants82

Banned
May 8, 2013
Visit site
Wow... That is scary. I am guessing whoever took your credit card info the first time around did not know what he was doing. Great that you secured your card, but bad business. I hope they start organizing themselves a bit better.

Yes. I was worried that who ever was taking my card info was writing it down instead of entering it into a system. Especially when they claimed no record of the transaction. Cost me a lot of time. And after all of the back and forth they still won't insure my device....how's that for customer care? Oh well. What's done is done but I just wanted to post my experience in hopes that it will save somebody the same experience that I just went through.

globster2000

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
Yes. I was worried that who ever was taking my card info was writing it down instead of entering it into a system. Especially when they claimed no record of the transaction. Cost me a lot of time. And after all of the back and forth they still won't insure my device....how's that for customer care? Oh well. What's done is done but I just wanted to post my experience in hopes that it will save somebody the same experience that I just went through.

Ya I feel you. I think all of this points back to the original question; was launching the moto x in late august a good idea? So far a lot of holes has been shown in either buying the phone(took me two weeks to buy the phone), acquiring insurance, hardware & software issues, customer support, defective units, lost orders, and features the phone should have had at launch.

thegrants82

Banned
May 8, 2013
Visit site
Honestly, my Moto X has performed at the highest level during the 12 days that I have owned it. My problem is the support system. If you want to advertise the American thing so hard then act like Americans and fix your mistakes. Don't tell me that you haven't gotten around to updating the web site yet. Yes, believe it or not that was the final excuse from them. You want to play the American card for sales then back it up. The American card is integrity. That's how I was brought up and that's what I expect from a vendor. I would be happy to pay 100 dollars more to a company that is comprised of genuine American honesty and values. The irony of it all is that the company that I work for is the one that gave Motorola the freedom to do what they do. What did I get in return? "sorry, we haven't updated our web site yet" Perfect, just perfect.
Ya I feel you. I think all of this points back to the original question; was launching the moto x in late august a good idea? So far a lot of holes has been shown in either buying the phone(took me two weeks to buy the phone), acquiring insurance, hardware & software issues, customer support, defective units, lost orders, and features the phone should have had at launch.

lostaggie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, my Moto X has performed at the highest level during the 12 days that I have owned it. My problem is the support system. If you want to advertise the American thing so hard then act like Americans and fix your mistakes. Don't tell me that you haven't gotten around to updating the web site yet. Yes, believe it or not that was the final excuse from them. You want to play the American card for sales then back it up. The American card is integrity. That's how I was brought up and that's what I expect from a vendor. I would be happy to pay 100 dollars more to a company that is comprised of genuine American honesty and values. The irony of it all is that the company that I work for is the one that gave Motorola the freedom to do what they do. What did I get in return? "sorry, we haven't updated our web site yet" Perfect, just perfect.

I am still waiting for accessories that said they were in stock. I gave after calling for two weeks and them saying in has been "exported" and is waiting for FedEx pickup.

I returned my custom phone to AT&T and will be getting iPhone 5s.

thegrants82

Banned
May 8, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I'm torn. I was so darn sure that the Moto X was a keeper that I ebayed my iPhone 5.....Still love the phone but I have such a bad taste in my mouth after what just happened. I am going to call Verizon when they open and get the details for a return. I am on day 12, I am getting ready to travel (military) so I am now stuck without a phone if I return it. I cant get an iPhone 5s for at least another 2 weeks and I cant leave without a phone so.....maybe just eat the moto x and keep it for a second phone? I may just ask a few friends if I can borrow a spare phone while I wait for the iPhone release. Thanks Moto, you are the best..............this is costing me a bundle.
I am still waiting for accessories that said they were in stock. I gave after calling for two weeks and them saying in has been "exported" and is waiting for FedEx pickup.

I returned my custom phone to AT&T and will be getting iPhone 5s.

rajeshr68

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Thanks guys, I posted there late last night and Matt replied this morning saying he is looking into my issue asap. Hopefully he gets to the bottom of my issue, I have over $2000 tied up on pending holds that's now unavailable if I happen to need it.

I have close to $1400 in pending holds with Moto due to two orders - one on an order that got canceled and the other on an order that did not go through!!!

lostaggie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I'm torn. I was so darn sure that the Moto X was a keeper that I ebayed my iPhone 5.....Still love the phone but I have such a bad taste in my mouth after what just happened. I am going to call Verizon when they open and get the details for a return. I am on day 12, I am getting ready to travel (military) so I am now stuck without a phone if I return it. I cant get an iPhone 5s for at least another 2 weeks and I cant leave without a phone so.....maybe just eat the moto x and keep it for a second phone? I may just ask a few friends if I can borrow a spare phone while I wait for the iPhone release. Thanks Moto, you are the best..............this is costing me a bundle.

The only reason I bought was for made in the USA but the support is horrible. I was having battery issues and really didn't want to mess with their exchange process. I had already lost trust.

thegrants82

Banned
May 8, 2013
Visit site
The only reason I bought was for made in the USA but the support is horrible. I was having battery issues and really didn't want to mess with their exchange process. I had already lost trust.

My two options for borrowing a phone while deployed just went out the door so if anyone is interested I will sell you my black Verizon 16gb in about a month. It will be in like new condition and I will be very reasonable with the price. Please pm me if you have any questions. I can provide my eBay user name as a reference.

guesswhat_567

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
getting a feeling that moto tried to bite off more they can chew with this ..may be took too many risks ..if you look what the company has gone through last 18 months got bought by google, laid off/spun off 15k people, shut down bunch of support centres, restructuring was going until few months backs .no matter how well HR handles this restructuring there is bound to be chaos and disorientation in lot of teams and the Moto x launch happens with all the carriers (biggest launch moto has done in recent times) in midst of this with a completely new factory in texas and suddenly moto has to deal with the end consumers because of motomaker ..also moto did not have a direct consumer relationship for buying/selling/returns handling in some volume for quite sometime .. generally the carrier handle majority of the shipping/returns/exchanges ..moto just doesnot have that scale right now to get all this right are tiny company with only ~4k employes (relativly compared to samsung/apple) ..am sure all of them are working there asses off/scrambling to get things right ..it will probably take motorola some time to settle down and get things right ..I also had biter experience in trying to get a moto skip ordered :D (not horror stories as some of the people who posted in this thread) personally I would give Motorola a chance even with some missteps more so because moto x is an awesome device and its a joy to use ..i have a soft corner for the moto brand with my first phone being from moto in 90's and would like see them back in the top league ..

thegrants82

Banned
May 8, 2013
Visit site
getting a feeling that moto tried to bite off more they can chew with this ..may be took too many risks ..if you look what the company has gone through last 18 months got bought by google, laid off/spun off 15k people, shut down bunch of support centres, restructuring was going until few months backs .no matter how well HR handles this restructuring there is bound to be chaos and disorientation in lot of teams and the Moto x launch happens with all the carriers (biggest launch moto has done in recent times) in midst of this with a completely new factory in texas and suddenly moto has to deal with the end consumers because of motomaker ..also moto did not have a direct consumer relationship for buying/selling/returns handling in some volume for quite sometime .. generally the carrier handle majority of the shipping/returns/exchanges ..moto just doesnot have that scale right now to get all this right are tiny company with only ~4k employes (relativly compared to samsung/apple) ..am sure all of them are working there asses off/scrambling to get things right ..it will probably take motorola some time to settle down and get things right ..I also had biter experience in trying to get a moto skip ordered :D (not horror stories as some of the people who posted in this thread) personally I would give Motorola a chance even with some missteps more so because moto x is an awesome device and its a joy to use ..i have a soft corner for the moto brand with my first phone being from moto in 90's and would like see them back in the top league ..

Hate being lied to and taken advantage of. As soon as my next one is in this one is gone. If they would have at least had the web site right it never would have gone this far. They should have backed up their word to me and then fixed the site. Take care of the people that took them for their word. Actually I would think that false advertising like this is not very lawful. But that's not my style. So I will take the hit and move on. Lesson learned. Assembled in the USA does not mean integrity.

guesswhat_567

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
I dont think this is question of integrity/lying/cheating why would they intentionally try to lie to you ..it will hurt them more than you in long run,
.this is about mismanagement ,bad communication and disorietntation within teams, bad training to rep's/ in the call center .
Moto is almost starting new as a company will take them sometime to get these things organized.

Hate being lied to and taken advantage of. As soon as my next one is in this one is gone. If they would have at least had the web site right it never would have gone this far. They should have backed up their word to me and then fixed the site. Take care of the people that took them for their word. Actually I would think that false advertising like this is not very lawful. But that's not my style. So I will take the hit and move on. Lesson learned. Assembled in the USA does not mean integrity.

lostaggie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site

I hope Moto is reading these forums...

thegrants82

Banned
May 8, 2013
Visit site
I dont think this is question of integrity/lying/cheating why would they intentionally try to lie to you ..it will hurt them more than you in long run,
.this is about mismanagement ,bad communication and disorietntation within teams, bad training to rep's/ in the call center .
Moto is almost starting new as a company will take them sometime to get these things organized.

Great product love my moto x. Not my responsibility to help them learn how to do it. But I did try

Last edited:

thegrants82

Banned
May 8, 2013
Visit site

lying by advertising something that isn't available.

Cheating by actually taking my credit card info and telling me that I was in fact now "insured"

lack of integrity by not making it right by selling me the plan after they admitted that it was their fault for not updating the site.. Heck I'm not even looking for something free I want to pay for it!

Don't know if any of it was intentional but it all happened. Heck I have copies of all the emails. Again, I want nothing for free. I'm asking to BUY a service.

terminalnonchalance

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
I just have to say that trying to get this phone has been a nightmare.
1st motomaker order canceled for no reason.
2nd order came completely wrong and I initiated the return process.
3rd order canceled for no reason again and now they have charged me full retail 2 times and I have no phone.

I called to get help today as my replacement order appeared as canceled the day it was supposed to arrive (today) they escalated me to tier 2 which apparently is a call back in 48 hours. I really loved this phone for the 2 days I had it... I am just very hesitant to order again until they can refund the 2 charges on my credit card. The customer service reps are beyond useless and provide no info. I am beyond polite with them, but they just ignore my questions about the charges and canceled orders then ask me to give them a positive survey as they care about my satisfaction.

Come on Google! I'm all in with Google and this is the service provided. Beyond frustrating.

lostaggie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
I really hope they get their act together. The customer service experience doesn't inspire confidence for warranty support or future updates.

rajeshr68

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I just have to say that trying to get this phone has been a nightmare.
1st motomaker order canceled for no reason.
2nd order came completely wrong and I initiated the return process.
3rd order canceled for no reason again and now they have charged me full retail 2 times and I have no phone.

I called to get help today as my replacement order appeared as canceled the day it was supposed to arrive (today) they escalated me to tier 2 which apparently is a call back in 48 hours. I really loved this phone for the 2 days I had it... I am just very hesitant to order again until they can refund the 2 charges on my credit card. The customer service reps are beyond useless and provide no info. I am beyond polite with them, but they just ignore my questions about the charges and canceled orders then ask me to give them a positive survey as they care about my satisfaction.

Come on Google! I'm all in with Google and this is the service provided. Beyond frustrating.

I feel your pain - I've had to order five times and yet I do not have a phone on order. They've charged three different credit cards - and then canceled the orders. Each pre-authorization takes about a week to come off the credit card at the fastest.

Their CS is worst I've ever dealt - clueless and genuinely unhelpful - and ever willing to have someone call you back. And here's the best part - their slogan is "Motorola will make it right"! Right - my @ss! It looks like they stole Mike Holmes' tagline without learning anything about his customer service!