09-19-2013 11:20 AM
54 123
tools
    Punit Soni commented on a post of mine that "Fixes (are) coming soon." https://plus.google.com/u/0/+PhilNic...ts/PCJEoqSHYnN
    Toymaker02 likes this.
    09-11-2013 09:32 PM
    Thanks Phil, which phone are you running these days?
    09-12-2013 11:56 AM
    So, not to hijack the thread or anything, but since you guys are all about the camera how do you change the camera image resolution on this thing? I don't want to be taking 10mp shots or anything that looks like it came from a flip phone. I want to find the middle ground, but I don't see the options.
    09-12-2013 12:51 PM
    So, not to hijack the thread or anything, but since you guys are all about the camera how do you change the camera image resolution on this thing? I don't want to be taking 10mp shots or anything that looks like it came from a flip phone. I want to find the middle ground, but I don't see the options.
    You can't! Nuts isn't it?

Posted via Android Central App
    09-12-2013 04:36 PM
    I have a 3Gs... Not for long, but this thing is mint condition (bought on week 1 by the way). Not a scratch. I can assure you however that the Moto X camera is better. From what I've seen on my bddy's Moto x the problem is in the overly agressive adjusting the sensor does, you need to really wait for the image to settle before taking a photo if you want great image quality... Also the general rule with HDR is that you turn HDR on when the content of the picture aren't moving at all or very little, if there is going to be motion you're better off turning HDR off on a smartphone.
    09-12-2013 06:25 PM
    Punit Soni commented on a post of mine that "Fixes (are) coming soon." https://plus.google.com/u/0/+PhilNic...ts/PCJEoqSHYnN
    Glad to hear this... I just convinced my friend to get this phone and I dont want to look like the guy who steered him wrong.
    09-12-2013 07:35 PM
    Are you saying it's bad or that it's not the best camera available? It's taking some great shots for me, and some average ones and some bad ones. I'll admit I kinda suck at photography, but I'm getting accurate great shots of what I want when I'm patient with it. It's definitely a major step up from the G Nex camera, and though everyone said that one sucked, it also takes some great photos with maybe 10-15% unusable shots.
    09-13-2013 02:09 AM
    Hey guys, I've been following the Moto X since introduction. I'm a longtime iPhone user but a fan of tech in general, not a fanboy. With the disappointing 5S and my general dislike for iOS7, I've been seriously looking to break into Android. I've played with the Moto X and it's amazing, silky smooth, PERFECT size IMO, etc. Here's the thing... I'm a part-time professional photographer, YES I have DSLR's for shooting but like everyone else, I use my phone for day-to-day things that come up. I feel with a social media presence, my "image" (no pun) has to live up to a certain expectation. I want the Moto X, I am due for an upgrade, have AT&T and want a moto maker MX but can't pull the trigger because even though people realize it's a phone, I feel my photos have to be decent even if it's some BS I take with my phone. Does this make sense?

I'm not really looking for an answer, I just wanted to vent. I really hope a software update does take care of this because the S4 is too clunky feeling for me, the HTC One is too big, I'm addicted to LTE on Unlimited data so the N4 is out. The N5 looks to be a giant as well.

Thanks for listening to my first post
    09-13-2013 10:32 AM
    Hey guys, I've been following the Moto X since introduction. I'm a longtime iPhone user but a fan of tech in general, not a fanboy. With the disappointing 5S and my general dislike for iOS7, I've been seriously looking to break into Android. I've played with the Moto X and it's amazing, silky smooth, PERFECT size IMO, etc. Here's the thing... I'm a part-time professional photographer, YES I have DSLR's for shooting but like everyone else, I use my phone for day-to-day things that come up. I feel with a social media presence, my "image" (no pun) has to live up to a certain expectation. I want the Moto X, I am due for an upgrade, have AT&T and want a moto maker MX but can't pull the trigger because even though people realize it's a phone, I feel my photos have to be decent even if it's some BS I take with my phone. Does this make sense?

I'm not really looking for an answer, I just wanted to vent. I really hope a software update does take care of this because the S4 is too clunky feeling for me, the HTC One is too big, I'm addicted to LTE on Unlimited data so the N4 is out. The N5 looks to be a giant as well.

Thanks for listening to my first post
    Moto x is an excellent phone. Mine has been pretty much flawless since I got it two weeks ago. The camera is really not that bad but also not on par with the iPhone. The battery in my moto x is also better than what I was getting with my iPhone 5. Google now is better than siri with something's and siri is better with others. The form factor of the moto x is perfect for me. Personally I am getting the 5s in a couple weeks and also keeping my moto x. I will then see which one suits me better and eBay the other. I'm also very anxious to see what the nexus 5 brings to the table but I don't like the 5 inch screen. Been there done that, it's too big for one handed operation. But of course it is a nexus so we will see.

All this wouldn't even be an issue for me if Motorola had decent tech support which they don't and as a long time moto guy I can say that they never have. Thought that would change with Google but no.

Break an iPhone and an hour later you have a new one in your hand, without a hitch or concern. Break the moto x and your without for god knows how long. I love my moto x but I feel like I need a backup for it. With an iPhone and apple care + you have no worries.

09-13-2013 11:28 AM
    The problem with the camera is that it's inconsistent. When it works correctly the pictures come out great. When it doesn't, you get unusable crap. Not knowing what you're going to get is almost a bigger problem.
    09-13-2013 11:53 AM
    The problem with the camera is that it's inconsistent. When it works correctly the pictures come out great. When it doesn't, you get unusable crap. Not knowing what you're going to get is almost a bigger problem.
    Oh no doubt, I have taken quite a few amazing pictures and movies with my moto x. But yes you never know until you view them afterwards.

09-13-2013 11:56 AM
    I understand the inconsistency and tell myself a decent shot on facebook, instagram with a filter or whatever will be fine - I don't print these obviously. The size of the Moto X is perfect and as silly as it sounds, Google Keep is kind of a killer app to me. I want to switch but am going to keep an eye on this forum for software updates (or possibly new models with an upgraded camera?)
    09-13-2013 12:59 PM
    I understand the inconsistency and tell myself a decent shot on facebook, instagram with a filter or whatever will be fine - I don't print these obviously. The size of the Moto X is perfect and as silly as it sounds, Google Keep is kind of a killer app to me. I want to switch but am going to keep an eye on this forum for software updates (or possibly new models with an upgraded camera?)
    Keep is an awesome app but reminders in iOS 7 does it just as well in my opinion.

09-13-2013 01:37 PM
    I actually dont mind the camera at all. I havent gotten those weird soft pics a couple of reviewers had, and the really bad ones are only when there are clouds or a lot of light facing the lens, cuz then it does that weird adjustment to compensate. Other than that, Im dying for an update, Ill live with a little dullness and shadows from time to time. Ill be okay if it never gets this alleged or possible software update.

Edit:oops, that's supposed to say 'I'm *not * dying for an update".
    09-13-2013 02:41 PM
    Keep is an awesome app but reminders in iOS 7 does it just as well in my opinion.

It DOES the same thing yes but I like being able to add photos or voice memos to KEEP.
    09-13-2013 02:44 PM
    It DOES the same thing yes but I like being able to add photos or voice memos to KEEP.
    Me too. Adding photos to Keep is awesome. I put pictures of ac filters, water filters and even prescriptions in my Keep reminders for fast reference. That way I can just read the part numbers or dates when I am at the store. Very handy.

09-13-2013 02:50 PM
    Bingo! That's the main reason I returned mine and replaced it with the S4. Too bad though, because I was coming to grips with the non-removable battery and smaller screen. What a shame...

09-14-2013 07:59 AM
    I just wanted to comment on a person switching from Android to iOS based on the camera.

I am actually one of those people who would consider doing that. Maybe because I have primarily been with iOS for the majority of my time with smartphones. I just swapped from iOS to Android a month ago after lamenting over the choices I had at that time. I was head over heels for the Moto X but passed on it once I found out the problems with the camera. I'm mentioned it before, but after a smooth running phone, the camera is the next priority for me. I have two babies and I snap and share pictures of them constantly.

I struggle with getting clear shots on my S4. Didn't really have issues with my iPhone 5 - probably because of I mostly shoot in the house. I saw the 5s camera enhancements and my interest has piqued, but my husband will be getting that so I can tinker with his and see if I am willing to go back to boring iOS for the camera. Who knows, cameras are never as good as they are marketed to be.

I have an upgrade to burn and my roaming eye has been checking out the G2, 5s (not sure I will leave android though), Nexus 5 and the updated/verizon moto-maker Moto X.

I'm so flighty
    09-14-2013 12:06 PM
    I just wanted to comment on a person switching from Android to iOS based on the camera.

I am actually one of those people who would consider doing that. Maybe because I have primarily been with iOS for the majority of my time with smartphones. I just swapped from iOS to Android a month ago after lamenting over the choices I had at that time. I was head over heels for the Moto X but passed on it once I found out the problems with the camera. I'm mentioned it before, but after a smooth running phone, the camera is the next priority for me. I have two babies and I snap and share pictures of them constantly.

I struggle with getting clear shots on my S4. Didn't really have issues with my iPhone 5 - probably because of I mostly shoot in the house. I saw the 5s camera enhancements and my interest has piqued, but my husband will be getting that so I can tinker with his and see if I am willing to go back to boring iOS for the camera. Who knows, cameras are never as good as they are marketed to be.

I have an upgrade to burn and my roaming eye has been checking out the G2, 5s (not sure I will leave android though), Nexus 5 and the updated/verizon moto-maker Moto X.

I'm so flighty
    I just came from an iPhone 5. I have the moto x and my wife has an iPhone 5. We have kids and are constantly taking pictures indoors and out. I don't think that you can compare the iPhone and moto x by one or two shots. We are over two weeks taking side by side indoor and out door pics and movies. Heck we were just at our sons soccer game this morning sitting next to each other taking pictures like crazy. The pictures from the iPhone are just plain superior to the the moto x. Now I understand that some people in this forum are going to say no way but the fact of the matter is that the iPhones camera is in a whole different league that the moto x. That being said. If the camera is high priority then by all means go iPhone, HTC or GS4. The moto x camera is not bad but not very good. Software updates if (and I still doubt) they come can not make this camera on pat with phones much older. Motorola has in the past promised updates to cameras and blew it off. Take for instance the last generation of droids.

09-14-2013 12:25 PM
    FWIW: The next update (who know's when that will happen) should include a camera firmware update according to a tweet I received from Motorola.
    09-16-2013 03:57 PM
    I just came from an iPhone 5. I have the moto x and my wife has an iPhone 5. We have kids and are constantly taking pictures indoors and out. I don't think that you can compare the iPhone and moto x by one or two shots. We are over two weeks taking side by side indoor and out door pics and movies. Heck we were just at our sons soccer game this morning sitting next to each other taking pictures like crazy. The pictures from the iPhone are just plain superior to the the moto x. Now I understand that some people in this forum are going to say no way but the fact of the matter is that the iPhones camera is in a whole different league that the moto x. That being said. If the camera is high priority then by all means go iPhone, HTC or GS4. The moto x camera is not bad but not very good. Software updates if (and I still doubt) they come can not make this camera on pat with phones much older. Motorola has in the past promised updates to cameras and blew it off. Take for instance the last generation of droids.

Have you tried another camera app such as Camera FX?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4
    09-16-2013 10:13 PM
    Have you tried another camera app such as Camera FX?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4
    An app can't fix it. If you read my post you would see that I said the camera wasn't that bad but not as good as the gs4 or iPhone. Its not and an app isn't going to change that.

09-16-2013 10:24 PM
    An app can't fix it. If you read my post you would see that I said the camera wasn't that bad but not as good as the gs4 or iPhone. Its not and an app isn't going to change that.

I don't necessarily agree with that. Some of the photos posted look real good while others don't. It looks primarily like an exposure problem.
    09-17-2013 04:20 PM
    Thanks again to everyone who posted. I replaced my Moto X with an S4. The S4 is getting great shots. I can see a valid debate between the S4 and the iPhone, but the Moto X is unfortunately in a (sub) league of it's own. Perfect lighting = decent shots. Anything else = major exposure issues.

With that said, I'd go back to the Moto X in a heartbeat if they could get their camera in the same league as the other top tier phones. If you don't need to shoot people or pets with your camera phone than the Moto X is a great choice.
    09-18-2013 07:22 PM
    I wanted to post these as an example of the "inconsistencies" you get with the Moto X camera. Now don't take that as me dogging it, rather I've actually been pleasantly surprised by the camera after reading all the so-so reviews from users. For reference sake, I've also got the S4 and iPhone 5, so I know what a top of the line cell phone camera looks like.

These were taken seconds apart in bright sunlight. No HDR. Just notice how washed out the first one looks and how much better the colors are in the second. Again, taken seconds apart, no filters, no post production...straight from the camera.

What I will say is that this gives me hope that this is a software issue that can be addressed with an update. It seems the software is all over the place in post on the phone. Of course, this can also be fixed by running the photos through an editing app and messing with the color, saturation, exposure, etc. But no one wants to have to do that to nearly every picture.

So hopefully we'll see this update before long, because other than the inconsistent camera, I do love this phone. :thumbup:

Sent from my Moto X
    dmark44 and jephanie like this.
    09-18-2013 08:31 PM
54 123