Trusted Bluetooth Devices

inkmantpa

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
First, let me say that I know the disabling of lockscreen security can be done with Tasker, and NFC, but also that you have to be rooted. Or, you need a MotoSkip (yeah I ordered one, cuz I gotta play with it) . I used to root and ROM the hell out of my phones, but to be honest, I'm so happy with my X, I don't feel the need, so this bluetooth implementation works for me.

One of the cool features of the X that a lot of people haven't said much about is the implementation of Trusted Bluetooth Devices. Phil wrote a good article about it the other day.

Trusted Bluetooth devices: A must-have for every smartphone going forward | Android Central

I have a passcode lock on my phone. Had a number of issues previously at work when someone walked away with my phone that was not locked (quite a while ago). Also, I work in Corporate IT Security and I can tell you horror stories about people who have left their phones unlocked. Since then, I always use a lock. Anyhow, the Trusted Bluetooth Device feature is great. When I'm at home, I don't really need a lock on the phone every time I pick it up. When I'm away from home, I prefer the lock. If I could justify the cost of a Pebble, I would, but I think smart watches still need a bit more refinement, and they need to implement Bluetooth 4.0 (Bluetooth Low Energy). So, instead, considering that I only really need to use a trusted device at home, I bought this little gem off Amazon:

Amazon.com : Medialink USB Bluetooth Adapter - Version 4.0 (Newest Bluetooth Version Available) Class 2 Smart Ready Adapter w/ Low Energy Technology - Windows 8 32/64 Compatible : Computers & Accessories

Plugged it into my USB port on my Win 7 laptop, and paired with my X. Now, as long as I'm at the house, I don't have to enter a passcode. By the time I walk out the door and hop in my car, I'm out of range and my phone locks automatically. It's Bluetooth 4.0 BLE, so it's easy on my battery. For $10 it was a great purchase. Add that I can have bluetooth file access to my phone/PC and it is even a better buy.

I know a lot of people may already use this feature, but I didn't see it getting much discussion on the forum, so thought I'd share.

thegrants82

Banned
May 8, 2013
Visit site
First, let me say that I know the disabling of lockscreen security can be done with Tasker, and NFC, but also that you have to be rooted. Or, you need a MotoSkip (yeah I ordered one, cuz I gotta play with it) . I used to root and ROM the hell out of my phones, but to be honest, I'm so happy with my X, I don't feel the need, so this bluetooth implementation works for me.

One of the cool features of the X that a lot of people haven't said much about is the implementation of Trusted Bluetooth Devices. Phil wrote a good article about it the other day.

Trusted Bluetooth devices: A must-have for every smartphone going forward | Android Central

I have a passcode lock on my phone. Had a number of issues previously at work when someone walked away with my phone that was not locked (quite a while ago). Also, I work in Corporate IT Security and I can tell you horror stories about people who have left their phones unlocked. Since then, I always use a lock. Anyhow, the Trusted Bluetooth Device feature is great. When I'm at home, I don't really need a lock on the phone every time I pick it up. When I'm away from home, I prefer the lock. If I could justify the cost of a Pebble, I would, but I think smart watches still need a bit more refinement, and they need to implement Bluetooth 4.0 (Bluetooth Low Energy). So, instead, considering that I only really need to use a trusted device at home, I bought this little gem off Amazon:

Amazon.com : Medialink USB Bluetooth Adapter - Version 4.0 (Newest Bluetooth Version Available) Class 2 Smart Ready Adapter w/ Low Energy Technology - Windows 8 32/64 Compatible : Computers & Accessories

Plugged it into my USB port on my Win 7 laptop, and paired with my X. Now, as long as I'm at the house, I don't have to enter a passcode. By the time I walk out the door and hop in my car, I'm out of range and my phone locks automatically. It's Bluetooth 4.0 BLE, so it's easy on my battery. For $10 it was a great purchase. Add that I can have bluetooth file access to my phone/PC and it is even a better buy.

I know a lot of people may already use this feature, but I didn't see it getting much discussion on the forum, so thought I'd share.

Just use llama, its free.

Posted via Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty